Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • I bought some new wheels but I don't know what this means?
  • Duggan

I was originally going to just buy a spare wheel for swapping over when on the turbo trainer so I could prevent wearing the tyre too much but it was £50 so I thought I may as well buy a new set and just use the old set for turbo/winter.

My bike isn’t expensive so I didn’t want an expensive set of wheels and procured these which I thought were “tubeless ready” meaning I could still use inner tubes with them?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs610-tubeless-clincher-road-wheelset/

Anyway, they arrived but I don’t understand the label below? It seems to be saying not to use tyre levers? Or am I completely mistaken? Can I just use these wheels like normal tube/tyre set-ups?

Any advice much appreciated!

mrsfry
    Free Member

The PDF says ‘By hand only’ for removing the tyre.
    Cached PDF

devash
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJhoqTpAaI

It can be done without tyre levers with a bit of practice.

somafunk

It’s basically a disclaimer to warn you not to use tyre levers when fitting/removing tubeless road tyres as it is possible to damage the bead on tubeless tyres when fitting with a tyre lever – if you damage the integrity of the bead your tubeless tyre may not be a secure fit on the rim bead socket and may pop off.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Why’s that then? Soft rims that could be damaged by the tyre lever?

Edit: 4 seconds too late

Duggan

Thanks guys, I’ll certainly try the fitting tube with no levers things but not sure I’ll manage it if I get a flat in the freezing cold in the middle of nowhere 🙂

It seems like I won’t need to bother with rim tape in this case? Or should I?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘I bought some new wheels but I don't know what this means?’ is closed to new replies.