Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I bite the dust…and so does another front tyre…
  • martinhutch

Ripped the bead off a Conti Trail King 2.2 today, followed quickly by bits of my knees and elbows.

Trashed a Bonty XR4 shortly before that.

Apart from a skills course, any other similarly specced tyres I should be thinking about (tubeless on flows)?

duncancallum

The conti was it tubeless

I love them but you can’t run tubeless as the side walls are very thin

moneytrain81
    Free Member

My conti Protection are both tubeless front and rear and both are fine.

duncancallum

The protection are but the standards are not.

dirtydog
    Free Member

The default answer is a Minion DHF EXO TR

Shackleton

Did both tyres fail at the bead? Could you have a sharp-edged to your rim in conjunction with a “too low” tyre pressure?

I’ve been running various conti protections tubeless for 5 years without catastrophic sidewall failure. They do take a while to fully seal up though. But I agree, the sidewalls are thin, and all of mine do show signs of wear but have never failed.

martinhutch

I love them but you can’t run tubeless as the side walls are very thin

That’s interesting. It was sold as TLR but I had noticed persistent micro-ooze of Stans all the way round the sidewall. They were’t losing much pressure but I was going to ask on here if I should be returning them. I just managed to destroy it first 🙂

martinhutch

Did both tyres fail at the bead? Could you have a sharp-edged to your rim?

No – XR4 was a sidewall slash that I couldn’t repair.

Haven’t got around to checking the rim this time around. It’s possible it was a burp with the damage happening afterwards – there were some rocks, but it was high speed setting up for a flat corner.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘I bite the dust…and so does another front tyre…’ is closed to new replies.