• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I bent over and took it like a man :-(
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£17.99 for a set of brake pads

I bought 2 pairs

I could have got 4 pairs of organics from superstar, disco brakes, CRC (clarkes are cheep on there) etc for that!

I know I needed them right now and have to pay for that convenience but, it has to be said that that is an awfull lot of markup 400% higher than an alternative shop online? I was planning on buying 4 sets of organics and 4 sets of sintered as I’m on holliday and its going to be wet so I wanted to be prepared but it was just silly!

I love my LBS and will keep buying stuff there when I need it, but its blooming expensive!

stumpy01

Are they original manufacturer pads?

I think Avid pads retail at £18. Expensive for sure but on the money, I reckon.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

When did being a puss y become “like a man”? Real men dont really need brakes – just balls!

Seriously – pads are up there on the same scale as dentist charges for rip offs!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If theya re original pads>

Hope originals from my LBS are around £15 IIRC However I only need a set every few thousnad miles and they come with stainless pins and springs and fit straight in.

Its what I always buy.

cheapo brake parts – my life is worth more than that

thomthumb
    Free Member

when did you book the holiday? 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ages ago, but I thought I had loads of spare pads, turns out I’ve lots of pads for my hope minis, but didn’t fancy trusting them with the added weight of the new build!

Just ordered soem superstar kevlar to see if they arrive mid week incase I run out, shouldnt do as the esisting ones are very well bedded in (front organics are the ones that somehow survived the gorrick enduro and still look new!)

Northwind

“cheapo brake parts – my life is worth more than that”

Ironic really because the only pads I’ve had fail have been expensive ones 😆 All the superstar kevlars I’ve used have worked perfectly for their entirely respectable lifespan.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Last summer I got caught short a couple of times and ended up buying original Hayes pads at Bourg Saint Maurice prices. €35 euros a pair, I believe!

I was more organised this summer!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh whell.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

If you’re looking for help, this article in today’s Guardian may provide solace…
    Taking it like a man

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

How long is the holiday for, are you planning on going all winter with all those pads! or doing a round the world trip.

allthepies
    Free Member

dramah queen! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

allthepies. When I have had faultless performance that lasts for thousands of miles from Hope pads Why would i switch to cheaper ones that don’t give you new pins clips and springs and have a variable record?

Seriously – brakes is one place I will not stint. Nothing but the best

I am only buying new pads every year or two anyway as they last so long

allthepies
    Free Member

Wear rate I can accept but “my life….” bollox cracks me up.

markgraylish
    Free Member

£17.99 for a set of brake pads

Bargain!

Over here (Vancouver, Canada), Magura brake pads are $45+12% tax a pair. That’s 30.32 GBP. Luckily, I can still get them from CRC!

lucien

Most of the LBS’s around here have very big windows (so they can see you coming a mile off) – needs must and all that, but that can’t justify such a difference in price

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

OE Saint brake pads used to be RRP £50 when the brakes first came out! Now i think they’re still £35… Most shops go by rrp, so it’s not their fault things are steep… Trust me, brake pads are NOT 400% margin! If shops thought superstar pads were ANY use, don’t you think they would buy them and re-sell? Exactly…

hora
    Free Member

“Support your LBS”.

I love it when you get the till with an item and it rings up at circa 40% extra.

“Sorry Sir, this items gone up from last year but we didn’t have time to reprice it”.

Right. So that’ll be the item that upto a few weeks ago was cheaper/bought at a lower price but now your making an extra killing on its particular margin.

Support your local bike rider.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I love it when you get the till with an item and it rings up at circa 40% extra.

“Sorry Sir, this items gone up from last year but we didn’t have time to reprice it”.

Right. So that’ll be the item that upto a few weeks ago was cheaper/bought at a lower price but now your making an extra killing on its particular margin.

quoted because its the first sensible thing ive read that hora has written on this subject

PeteG55
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that if something is marked up at that price on the shop floor, then they have to sell it to you at that price. My brother managed to get one hell of deal on a Cannondale Prophet a while back, because one of the staff had attached the wrong price tag to the wrong bike.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that if something is marked up at that price on the shop floor, then they have to sell it to you at that price.

Ooh I’m not entirely sure about that one. I think a shop can withdraw an item from sale, but they must state their reasons. I think if it’s displayed at a certain price then that’s part of a contract; IE you agree to buy it at that price. And if they are to sell it at all it must be at the marked price. Updated computerised pricing cause this sort of problem a lot, but it’s the retailer’s obligation to ensure their prices match up.

ojom
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that if something is marked up at that price on the shop floor, then they have to sell it to you at that price. My brother managed to get one hell of deal on a Cannondale Prophet a while back, because one of the staff had attached the wrong price tag to the wrong bike.

untrue.

The trouble we have found with non original kit pads as that they simply don’t fit.
    i.e. Clarks Juicy pads, Formula ORO being good examples. We tried to stock all levels but it got to the point where the mechanic was having to grind material or paint off the back of the pads to make them fit or change the shape of the backing plate as they simply came a different shape. We are talking mil here but enough to cause probs.

NukeProof ones seem good but aren’t THAT much cheaper than normal models anyway.

We are realstic as we can be and discount the main line ones as to be fair, £22 for a set of Avids is kinda crazy.

Cougar

I think a shop can withdraw an item from sale

Yeah – they’re not legally obliged to complete the sale unless they’ve already accepted the transaction, at which point it becomes a legally binding contract. If they’d already taken your money and then gone “oh, sorry, it’s mispriced, that’ll be another ten quid” they can’t enforce the price hike.

(ObDisclaimer)

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well you can usually source most things cheaper on the web so if you’ve planned ahead it’s cool and you save cash.

THe economics of running a retail outlet and selling direct to the customer are pretty tough so you can’t really complain about higher prices given the convenience factor.

I didn’t realise MTB brakes were for saving your life – I thought they were for slowing you a bit going into corners and then stopping you entirely when it’s time for tea and cake but thanks Tandem Jeremy I’ll bear it in mind 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

namaste – maybe a bit hyperbolic but I really don’t want a brake failure. Could be very nasty some times and places

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that if something is marked up at that price on the shop floor, then they have to sell it to you at that price

Not correct I’m afraid. Any advertised price, including inside the shop, is an ‘invitation to tend’ (eg, a suggestion of where to start negotiating a price), and not a legally binding contract.

A shop worker can quite happily refuse a sale, for any reason they like, including an incorrcetly marked price. Or no reason at all, just because they feel that way. After all, you can’t force someone to sell something to you.

Interestingly, it is a legal requirement for EVERYTHING on display to have a price attached. Trading Standards pick us up on this all the time.

druidh
    Free Member

joe@brookscycles – Member
    Interestingly, it is a legal requirement for EVERYTHING on display to have a price attached. Trading Standards pick us up on this all the time.

I don’t think that’s right at all. Most shops/supermarkets in the UK mark shelves, not goods.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

OK, I’ll conceed the word ‘attached’. Perhaps “has to have a price on it/by it/for it/next to it/attached to it” would be technically more accurate…?
    🙂

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Ha some people on here just want to be right all the time. God knows how people put up with them in real life! Its obvious they aint going to mark about 10 thousand apples in Tescos with little white stickers! Why bother being so obnoxious! They have to put a sticker on the shelving under them etc as I’m sure you know. 🙄

cullen-bay
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    If theya re original pads>

Hope originals from my LBS are around £15 IIRC However I only need a set every few thousnad miles and they come with stainless pins and springs and fit straight in.

Its what I always buy.

thought you didnt wear a helmet?

Ewan
    Free Member

Just buy superstar ones, they work fine – i’ve never had any fail on me in thousands of miles.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t – dunno what that has to do with wanting the most reliable brakes I can have tho. Primary / secondary safety

Northwind

TandemJeremy – Member

“Why would i switch to cheaper ones that don’t give you new pins clips and springs and have a variable record?”

Every set of pads I’ve ever bought has come with new springs? Not really sure why you’d want to replace the pins, that seems a bit like classic Hope selling you something extra you don’t need and charging more, like with the stems and head doctors…

That said the pads seem damn good, I reckon if they made pads for other models of brake I’d probably give them a crack.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northwind – the pins wear and new clips are nice to have as well even if only as spares when you lose one

They ain’t expensive anyway. I can’t remember the price in TBC but is not brathtaking

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Superstar get their pads straight from the manufacturer and miss one piece of the distribution chain, hence the cheaper price. The cheaper price also depends on where they actually get their pads from (obviously crappier pads are usually cheaper), which without knowing is impossible to comment on.

Disc brake pads are also not particularly cheap pieces of kit either – their mark-up is in line with any other bike part you may buy from an LBS.

hora
    Free Member

brother managed to get one hell of deal on a Cannondale Prophet a while back, because one of the staff had attached the wrong price tag to the wrong bike

Wasn’t in a Manchester store was it? Someone got into alot of trouble for that.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I bent over and took it like a man :-(’ is closed to new replies.