Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I-Beam post users …… Step forward
  • letmetalktomark

Looking at one for a build that’s got a slack ST, I could do with some more angle adjustment than on my Thomson.

I’m happy with the choice of saddles but curious on folks thoughts of the posts.

Any “angle slip” experiences in use?

Any other issues?

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got three i think. One is on a road bike. Never had an issue. Light too

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

****. Less comfortable than a railed saddle; more fragile; look utter garbage.

letmetalktomark

Cheers Rob.

Am I right in thinking the head angle is fairly flexible?

FOG

Had one that came with a bike a few years ago. My only objection was saddle choice so I replace it with , yes , a Thomson. Certainly no slippage issues in any direction.

rob2
    Free Member

Head angle, yes loads of adjustment. Mine are Kore ones. Been superb. You also get an adaptor to use a normal rail saddle if you want

akira

Got a Kore one and a race face one. Plenty on adjustment and nice and comfy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Had them on all my bikes.Lack of a set back post (now seemingly discontnued) is a pain.Never had an issue with slippage.
    I-fly was tolerable but still good for a super lightweight saddle whilst the formula fx has been the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever used.

pinetree
    Free Member

Less comfortable than a railed saddle; more fragile; look utter garbage.

B*llocks; B*llocks; a matter of personal preference.

I’ve been using them for a few years now, and have always got on well with them.
    The newer generations have flex built into the beam (some saddles use some kind of honeycomb design in the plastic, which supposedly offers a bit more give)
    I have bent rails on a fair few saddles, but have NEVER broken an I Beam saddle or post.
    I quite like the way they look- have had a few different I beam saddles. Always really liked the Duster- found it felt very similar to the old FX Saddles, which I really got on with, but is a lot lower profile.
    Currently got a really old Bel Air I beam in brown on my hardtail, which I think looks the nuts 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Very cheap on crc at the moment.

Long term user here. Bel airs are lovely still have a brand new leopard skin one waiting for a build.

I did however crack 2 27.2 seat posts at the post clamp. I used to ride all winter and apparently a common issue with cold. Carbon post has been fine for over 4 years

nixie

****. Less comfortable than a railed saddle; more fragile; look utter garbage

Do you ever post anything useful or factual? Infact have you even tried one?

I’ve got 3 and really like them. In the euros of bloated dropper posts surprised they are but becoming more common as they as lighter. Never had any adjustment or slippage issues. Got 2 with belairs and one with a formula fx. The later had more flex so I tend to use this on hardtails.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Currently got a really old Bel Air I beam in brown on my hardtail, which I think looks the nuts

A brown saddle? Srsly? How old are you? Sixties? Are you really of an age to pass judegement on what looks “good” or not?

Yeh, crack on. You could even get a one piece saddle/seatpost made to fit.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do you ever post anything useful or factual?

Almost every third post.

I had one circa 2007 and it was shit. Just my experience

iain1775
    Free Member

I have bent rails on a fair few saddles, but have NEVER broken an I Beam saddle or post.

Whereas I am the opposite, never bent a rail but have destroyed two ibeam saddles (landed heavily on nose, saddle bent forward and stripped the jagged grippy bits on the beam)
    However with an ibeam you can just move the saddle forwards or backwards onto the un-damaged part and continue your ride whereas a rail saddle your probably going to have to stand up all the way home

I never found it any more uncomfortable than a conventional railed system, my carbon Kore layback ibeam post and Formula FX was my favourite combo until I discovered dropper posts

+1 for the Formula FX

epicyclo

I use them on most of my bikes. I like the easy adjustment.

I have had one crack at the top. If I hadn’t noticed it, it could have got nasty.

pinetree
    Free Member

A brown saddle? Srsly? How old are you? Sixties? Are you really of an age to pass judegement on what looks “good” or not?

30 actually. I was as surprised as you when I put it on, but something about a ti frame with a rigid post and brown saddle… yeah, I kinda like it! As I said before, it’s a matter of personal preference really.

You do realise that 2007 was quite a long time ago, and that the IBeam saddles and posts have changed quite a bit since then, yeah?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Love them… Whereas no end of trouble with squeaky slipping conventional saddles.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I-Beam post users …… Step forward’ is closed to new replies.