Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • I am unfit and getting fatter by the day – help!
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

Is running going to be the best way to start me back on the road to fitness do you think? Bearing in mind I have limited time these days so can’t just head out on the bike for the day? We went out on the bikes on Sunday and I was ashamed. I have basically done almost nothing (maybe gym once a month if that) since about February. I have lost my motivation because I have totally got out of the habit of exercise so need to somehow kick start it.

GF does that boy’s bedtime every night now, so potentially I think simplest and most time effective thing is half an hour or so running while he does that.

Make me do it, I just keep finding excuses.

wwaswas

My wife recovered her fitness post child birth by running.

You could look at British Military Fitness or the like if you have slightly more time available.

IHN

Surely you’re on your feet all day anyway doing the washing, ironing, hoovering, dusting and cooking?

You should spend the time when GF is putting TeddyFlash to bed putting your feet up 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Mrs Spider does Zumba. It works for her.

glenh
    Free Member

20-30 min sessions are all you need on the bike according to Bradley Wiggins*:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/4437554/Bradley-Wiggins-On-yer-bike-for-fitness.html

*or The Sun journo

tails
    Free Member

Circuits burns a lot, plus you could try weights. running is the most convenient.

Murray

I’ve got a half hour cycle loop that I can do from home at lunchtime. I find it less boring than running and now I use a HRM I’m pushing harder.

I cut out eating between meals and cut down on carbs (cue iDiet argument) and have gone from 83kg to 75kg in 8 months.

Whatever exercise you pick make sure it’s somethig you enjoy or you’ll give up.

greyman
    Free Member

Off to mumsnet with you woman … 🙂 😉

Markie
    Free Member

Once my heart is sorted out (if, I suppose), I think the rowing machine will be my way back… Concept 2 always have some good challenges going.

If I lived in a built up area, it would for sure be running and Zombies, Run! in order to make the running a more exciting experience. Here it’s all paths through woods and I think that on hearing zombie footsteps through my headphones I’d be more likely to wet myself and curl up into a ball than put in the extra effort for a sprint…

The Guardian review where I first heard of the zombie thing… http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/mar/25/zombies-run-naomi-alderman-app

alexpalacefan

Running is cheap and convenient, you can do it from home, at any time, in any weather.

I started running for cardio fitness about 3 months ago, and for the first 4-5 weeks hated it, too hard and too boring. After that something clicked, and I could go at a decent pace without it being too uncomfortable. At that point I really started to to enjoy it.

So I would say, running, but give it a chance for you to start liking it 🙂

APF

xiphon
    Free Member

Is there anyone local to you, who is in the same boat, and needs a running partner?

IME much easier to keep up a regular routine if someone is depending on you to join them (and vice-versa).

Commute to work by bike?

MartynS

*waves*

Go on, I’ll try a semi sensible answer..
    I reckon anything is better than nothing so If a 1/2 hour run is all you can do its still a 1/2 hour more than you have been doing.

It needs to become part of the routine. It is really tough trying to get motivated to go outside at the moment just to get wet again.
    Go out tonight.. go get stuff ready now so its just a quick change later

This is a line I read in the magazine from Matt Hart, It will be the best you feel all day.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only run if you want to run. Otherwise it’ll be a chore just like ironing or dishes, and you won’t want to.

As above you can do short training sessions and get hugely fit like that. I’m doing some sessions that are half an hour, they work very well indeed. However it’s training rather than playing, and is not fun unless it’s a means to an end. That may be racing or just getting you back to where you were.

Running is indeed very convenient, go for it if you fancy it. Have you considered setting a goal like entering some big race or event at some future point? That could kick start you.

mrsflash
    Free Member

xiphon, got to drop & collect that boy off and all his associated gubbins. running partner would be good though as a motivator, i will have to have a think on that one.

I do like running, when I do it I just need something to make me get back in to it again.

Martyn, thanks for the pep talk, thats the kind of thing I need. I’ll trot my excuse out: I am currently at work so can’t get things ready now. How’s that girls bike of yours 😉

Nettles I am just going to ignore you. OK?

wwaswas, the sad thing is I was back running 7 weeks after he was born, and back on my bike 9 weeks after. I did quite well for the first 9 months or so after. Then I hit a black patch again, and it all went down hill. I am climbing back out of it (without drugs this time thankfully) but I’m afraid I can’t claim it’s post child birth anything. Am working part time now which I am hoping will improve things vastly.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Have you considered setting a goal like entering some big race or event at some future point? That could kick start you.

that is a good idea and suits my personality. Might see if there are any 10ks or something I can do to give me a goal.

anyone on here tried that shred dvd thing? heard quite good things about that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m afraid I can’t claim it’s post child birth anything.

Post childbirth issues can go on for up to 20 years…..

Looking after little kids can be a proper drag sometimes. Flame me, go on.

Might see if there are any 10ks or something I can do to give me a goal.

For me, I need to go big. What’s kick-started me now is the thought that the Ben Nevis Tri is only 8 weeks away!

higgo
    Free Member

I am in the same position, though I suspect my flab jacket is cut differently to yours.

I have spent the last two years on a project in Scandinavia so over 50% of my meals in hotels, restaurants, airports etc. There was always a G&T in the hotel bar while everyone gathered for dinner and there was always beer/wine with dinner. For the first 18months I managed to hang onto my weight/fitness. I got out for a run while away a couple of times a week and made sure I got out on a bike at the weekends. I’m more interested in fitness than weight but I do track my weight and ‘only’ put on 2kg.

Then, at the end of last November I was ill for a week and then injured for the next two weeks. From there, it was straight into Christmas parties, Christmas, New Year and two skiing holidays (hot cheese, hot cheese!!!) by which time I’d lost touch with fitness. I simply could not do the runs/rides I tried. At the end of May the scales told me I’d put on 8kg from November (a total of 10kg over the project).

So…. what have I done about it?
    No iDiet – I’m sure it works for some but it’s not for me. I know what’s bad in my diet so I try to eliminate/minimise it.
    Alcohol is just hidden calories. Now the project is over, it’s unusual for me to have a drink Sunday to Wednesday (although I had a Cooper’s Sparkling Ale last night because I fancied one).
    Most importantly I’ve got back into numerous, small, ‘fitness’ sessions. First twice a week, then tree/week and now four a week. So this week I’m doing two short runs (3mile and 4mile – bear in mind this time last year I was doing 8milers midweek and 10-15 at the weekend). I’ll also do a gym session and a ride (mtb/road). At the moment I’m too slow, short of distance to ride with my old mate but I reckon a short, slow ride is better than either none at all or trying to keep up with the animals. I find I have to plan the running so I keep it up week after week and not increase the miles too quickly. On the other hand I seem to be able to swap gym, mtb & road as suits me. So for example, if I drop the riding for a couple of weeks but replace the sessions with gym work it doesn’t affect me that much when I roll the bike out again.
    Gradually I’ve found my fitness started coming back first, then my body shape and finally weight lagged.

Apologies – I seem to have written about 10x what I’d planned to. Blame the espresso.

edit: oh yes, I’ve started commuting by bike when I can – free training.

wwaswas

I know what you mean – my wife had severe PND and it took her a long time to come out of it – ‘post child birth’ was quite some time.

I think she foudn the biggest motivation for running was going out and running.

Go out once and do a distance you can manage at a comfortable pace.

Remember how good you felt when you got home the next time you’re umming and ahhing about wether to go out and then get out the door and run.

It gets easier and becomes a bit of a virtuous circle.

that’s the advantage of the BMF type stuff – it’s a set time on a set day and you can’t put it off so easily and say ‘I’ll go later’.

I’m sure you’ll get there and, in the end, the desire to get out the door and do soemthing has to come from within.

ourmaninthenorth

Hello Mrs Flash – long time no see round here! Hope both gingerflash and Teddy are well..!

I think that running – maybe the couch to 5k programme would be a great way back, especially if that’s the time window you’ve identified as I understand C25K is based around 30 minute slots.

clubber
    Free Member

Speaking from the other side of the fence, I had been despairing with getting less and less fit while putting on weight. Second child born recently and with the two, it’s been tough getting out doing more than one session a week, often less.

Being someone who’s always put weight on when not exercising, I thought I was pretty much a lost cause and I’d just have to live with it until things got easier (once they’re about 18 months old if previous experience is anything to go by). I then decided that maybe I’d been making excuses and that I’d give it a go to lose weight without doing exercise.

I simply cut out all snacks, cut down on how much I ate at meals (though I’ll still eat a decent size portion, just not excessive) and dranks lots of water and some coffee when getting hungry. I still eat normal food (though we generally eat fairly healthily) eg no fad diets. That started in mid April and I’ve lost a substantial amount of weight (almost 10% so far and on a good downward trend) and I feel much better for it.

Oddly despite still only riding once, maybe twice a week, my fitness isn’t anywhere near as bad I’d expected.

As suggested though, one hour can be made to be quite effective as a training session – warm up for 10-15 mins then some hard work (hills, sprints, whatever) and a 10 minute warm down. You won’t win the TdF (or the Tour Feminin 🙂 )but you will have reasonable fitness.

One other thing that worked for me (though I can see might be dangerous for some) is to weigh myself every day (against all advice, I know) and log it on a phone app (Libra on android FWIW) which has a nice graph showing when you’ll hit your target – or not! I find it motivates me and stops me having ‘off’ days.

emanuel
    Free Member

there’s a chapter on fatness in grant petersen’s book.
    Can’t remember what he says cos I have the opposite problem.
    something about proteins.
    But,If you go on the rivendell website,under books there’s the book that inspired his chapter.
    Chapter is about 2 pages,he just says to read that book.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Has someone mention the dust diet yet?

mrsflash
    Free Member

Hello omitn, how goes it? GF and Teddy are great thanks, Ted is huge and talking loads and a good deal of fun at the moment. How is Bea doing? can’t believe they are nearly 2.

I haven’t had pnd btw, just your common or garden stress of the work related variety combined with ft working mother guilt. Which both are hopefully now resolved by a new, part time role. I am already feeling much more motivated thanks to you all though, you’ve done it before for me and I am sure you can do it again! it’s good to hear stories of people getting fitness back. Someone sent me a message today asking if I or GF wanted to join a SITS team and my first thought was that I didn’t think I would ever be fit enough again. But then I realised that I do at some point want to do another solo as I still have that I could have done better itch, so it is there buried somewhere, I just need to find it again.

hora
    Free Member

Run- start on grass. Well I will one day (easier on your legs etc)..I think

IHN

Nettles I am just going to ignore you. OK? 🙁

Fair enough.

To be serious though, I’m in a similar patch myself. Starting work again after dossing around for a year (where exercise came ‘for free’ because when you’re living in a campervan you don’t doss in front of the telly that much), and ‘cos of some other stuff, it took me ages to get back into any kind of exercise/bikey routine and what little fitness I had disappeared (to an embarassing degree)

Anyway, a gym has been joined, and I try to go two or three times a week before work, but probably only for half/three quarters of an hour each time. Cardio stuff mainly. Plus I try to get out on the bike at least once a week, and as of last week, whatever the weather because waiting for it to get better just isn’t happening.

Any the point of this ramble is that it’s establishing the routine that’s hard, once you’re in it it’s easier. If you like running, it’s as good, if not better, than many things for fitness. Why not look for some kind of sponsored something to give you a metaphorical kick up the wotsit? I’ll sponsor you 🙂

Mail/text me if you want a proper chitchatty catchup

GrahamS

Friend of mine is really quite large and has recently taken up running, doing the whole “Couch 2 5k” thing. It has worked well for her, she’s lost weight and gone from not being able to run the length of herself to doing three mile runs and looking towards her first 10k.

Can I also suggest that if you’ve recently cut down on the amount of exercise/biking that your doing then you may now be eating too much?

Try the app/site du jour: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/ to get a handle on what you are eating and what you are burning off.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Can I also suggest that if you’ve recently cut down on the amount of exercise/biking that your doing then you may now be eating too much?

hell yes. I am still eating as though I am doing 30 mile mtb rides plus a night ride every week. Problem is, I am a greedy b@gger, and I drink too much. I am slowly easing towards the biggest I was, which was 9.5 stone – for those who know me, you will realise that is a lot for my build – it’s hidden as I have changed shape since Ted was born, but I reckon I am 9 stone ish. Thankfully our scales currently have no batteries in. I have started cutting down portions (and am stopping finishing off Ted’s meals for him which is a very bad habit).

Nettles I will text you my email (although it’s the same as it was if you still have it), I don’t think I have an email address for you any more.

tyger
    Free Member

Well another fun way is to take up Jive Dancing – titter ye not!
    Hard work, good for coordination and cool! 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s kick-started me now is the thought that the Ben Nevis Tri is only 8 weeks away!

You entered yet. I’m running a training camp next week in Snowdonia.

IHN

Hard work, good for coordination and cool!

I’ll give you two out of three 😉

emsz
    Free Member

Running is lush, and tbh one of my most fav things in the world. Headphones on, ignore the world,just go. You can go as hard as you want or just kick back and jog along looking at the view.

Doesnt need extra food either, so its doubley good for losing weight 😉

hels
    Free Member

Running is good, I prefer early mornings in the dark/cold (I have no idea why) so don’t do it so much in summer.

Just make sure you ease into it slowly and get proper shoes, don’t buy trainers at Asda and head out for a 20 miler !! And unless you are a total ironing board get a proper running bra !!

ourmaninthenorth

Hello omitn, how goes it? GF and Teddy are great thanks, Ted is huge and talking loads and a good deal of fun at the moment. How is Bea doing? can’t believe they are nearly 2.

Not bad thank you (heart saga aside – long boring story, most of which is written across these pages). George went back full time, though I’m trying to make that change. Bea is well, but a tiny thing and also isn’t much of a fan of eating – I think she’s French (“Ham. Bread. Cheese”). Actually, she spent her first birthday in France, and will again this year.

I think it’s a case of working out what you can realistically do, and then building a steady programme about that. Gone are the days – for all of us – of giving over huge chunks of time to exercise/reading/sleep/ourselves..!

emsz
    Free Member

unless you are a total ironing board get a proper running bra !!

yes!!! Even if you are an ironing board,LOL just got a new shock absorber, comfy and I can still breathe!

Jamie
    Free Member

unless you are a total ironing board get a proper running bra !!

Great advice for the ample gentleman as well…

hels
    Free Member

I swear by shock absorbers, and I’m no ironing board. Crucial to be comfortable and well supported.

orange_c
    Free Member

The Shred DVD is brilliant for toning up and surprisingly tough if you do it every day but since you only do about 10 mins of cardio a day, not that good for stamina/endurance.

Get the wee man a balance bike and run after him

Don’t beat yourself up about not being able to do everything

Gosh, feel like I am on Mumsnet….

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Tucker, that’s an ‘interesting’ interpretation.
    Sure you’re not reading too much into it?
    It could be construed that way,

You don’t know many ‘brothers’ huh?

If you did, and asked them what they thought of (e.g.) Trevor McDonald, they’d tell you he was a ‘coconut’. ‘Choc ice’ is a similar term. I first came accross the term from my good buddy (black) in about 1988, so it’s not new.

It’s actually racist to whites AND blacks if you think about. It says blacks behave in one way, and white another, which of course is compleley untrue.

Jamie
    Free Member

TuckerUK:

You don’t know many ‘borthers’ huh?

If you did, and asked them what they thought of (e.g.) Trevor McDonald, they’d tell you he was a ‘coconut’. ‘Choc ice’ is a similar term. I first cme accross the term from my good buddy (black) in about 1988, so it’s not new.

It’s actually racsist to whites AND blacks if you think about. It says blacks behave in one way, and white another, which of course is compleley untrue.

You appear to be lost, TuckerUK.

GrahamS

Choc Ices definitely won’t help the diet.

Coconuts might, but only because they take so much effort to eat.

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘I am unfit and getting fatter by the day – help!’ is closed to new replies.