• This topic has 71 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • I am not middle class
  • centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

3 items for me but I’d like to apply for middle class status on sheer weight of numbers of vinyl records 😛

aracer
    Free Member

Is that better or worse that Thatcher giving away council houses to confuse people into thinking they’re middle class?

Well it’s all about social mobility, and that’s a good thing, right?

Northwind

Do the Mark Thomas Middleclass Test. If someone says “manamana”, and you respond “do doo do doo doo”, you’re middle class.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Do the Mark Thomas Middleclass Test. If someone says “manamana”, and you respond “do doo do doo doo”, you’re middle class.

Or a muppet.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Well it’s all about social mobility, and that’s a good thing, right?

Good for some, less good for the pooor saps who have huge debts in their quest of keeping up with the Jones-Smythes.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

1 – coasters!!! Rather pleased with that. Only got the coasters as my Mum bought them for me for Christmas!!

soundninjauk

I’ve had a solid white middle class upbringing, I even live in London. But 3/16 says otherwise, so I guess I’ll be taking a long hard look at myself in the mirror.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Reminded me to get the spiralizer out – courgette and carrots stir fry with prawns, chillies, and wait for it…..tofu!! Delicious.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Got a Brompton but none of the rest.

Vinyl is just SO last century, along with CD’s.

How drab.

binners

I had no idea what a spiralizer was.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Which was nice.

doris5000

What if you respond with this?

wrecker
    Free Member

Can you even buy TV’s that aren’t smart now?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Hmm – scored 7/16

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Caqn you even buy TV’s that aren’t smart now?

I should certainly hope so. Smart TV’s belong in the last century too now that you can cast from the inrerwebz with your mobile device…

breadcrumb

4/10. Didn’t think I was middle class, my wheelie skills are too finely honed for that.

beej

I’ve got a Roomba, which is better than a Dyson as I don’t have to push it.
    Roku rather than Smart TV.
    Chromebook and PC rather than a Mac.
    Eastpak luggage.
    Expensive ice cream maker as a kitchen gadget.
    Beko fridge.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

A debatable 2/10
    We have a BBQ in the garage but haven’t used it this year and only once last year.
    We have 2 sets of coasters in the same room, so I don’t count these as matching but the wife does.
    Working class and proud.

cardo

I refuse a carrier bag for the 4 pack of Stella from the corner shop even though the shopkeeper insists… Is that a reflection on me or the area I live in ? Oh the shame of walking down our street with wife beater under ones arm.

HughStew

5, which apparently makes me firmly middle class.
    Although according to the “How posh are you?”, which was linked from the middle class test I’m proper posh like.

CountZero

Well, I’ve got a load of vinyl, none of which has been played since 1987, when I bought a CD player.
    But that’s it, I think.
    But then, I was born and brought up working class, my bedroom wall sparkled with frost patterns on winter mornings, we only had one coal fire, in the living room.

Ah, that would explain it – is that where Mr Hanson is from that he doesn’t understand British class? I’m almost tempted to think there’s actually an inverse relationship between keeping up with the neighbours and real class.

Americans certainly don’t understand the British class system, which is about breeding, not money; obsessing about money is crass.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Inbreeding isn’t crass?

I mean look at it, it looks like something from The Walking Dead.

frankconway

Would be good to believe William Hanson is american – fails to understand what it is to be british etc – but he’s from Brizzle……almost a foreign country 😀

All of the etiquette that daddy’s money can buy…..

If his surname was Smithers or Smythe or Farquaharson or Urquhart that would add a veneer of credibility…….

Toodle pip chaps; off to leave the spats outside the bedroom door for the butler chappie to steam clean and press them for tomorrow’s croquet.

yunki
    Free Member

god help us all

frankconway

To OP; so disappointed that Hanson did not include table felt, Irish linen tablecloth with matching napkins (aka the napery), fish knives with bone handles, finger bowls – if I had more finger energy I would add more items.

One last one – boot scraper embedded in either the wall or flagstone by the front door.

Right; just off to inspect the kitchen maid’s starched nightie – but wait…..is that upper class or rude?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I thought it was only the yobbos with shiny toys what they show off in teh publicz.

These aspirational working class middle class pretenders are defo the worst thou 😆

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I only got 1, a BBQ. Which I use regularly.

I am off to Lidl with the bag a (second hand) Rapha Jersey came in to carry my messages home

spekkie
    Free Member

I scored 9 out of 16 – pretty much Mr average.

I have all my old records (but no record player). We love to cook & eat outside. TV does everything but make toast. Bought a Dyson when they first came out and still happy with it. No interest in an iMac but have an iPad. Will be installing a wood-burner – too much free wood here not to! Obviously the coasters on the dining room table match each other – this isn’t a builders cafe ffs.

BigJohn

I was a bit disappointed when our asparagus steamer didn’t get a mention. We don’t have a spiralizer but we do have a couple of hand graters that do the same job which we paid about 12p for in Saigon.

DezB
    Free Member

Just the records for me. But I’ve had most of them since I was a small boy with a fake Dansette in my bedroom in the infamous Leigh Park council estate.
    (Something tells me I didn’t need to do the test)

mudshark
    Free Member

The records thing is stupid – should be has bought some in the last year as many of us have some hiding in the attic somewhere.

I do score low though but I think it’s really a nouveau riche thing more than middle class – but then my Dad’s ex upper class who are known for not caring about what others think – scruffy jumpers, bashed cars are pretty normal. My Gran’s always had an aga though – I hate it as a pain to cook things with.

nickc

Hang on, this is the UK, there is only one answer to this.

If one has inherited it, then one is of class, as the alternative is buying it, and that’s just ‘entre-nous’ a little gauche..,no?

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘I am not middle class’ is closed to new replies.