Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 543 total)
  • I am man! Defender! Provider! Mechanic!
  • cranberry
    Free Member

Which Eberspaecher have you bought ? Did you factor in getting a remote control – there’s nothing like the smug feeling of getting out of the shower on a cold winter’s morning, pressing a button on the remote and knowing that your Defender is starting to warm up and de-ice all the windows.

🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Nice work and well done.
    I’d planned on fitting a extra heater to our 110 for the winter but the clutch and flywheel thought they would eat my money instead lol

wwaswas

Just read on the BBC that production of Defenders is to end in about 18 months time.

I wish the EU would look at ‘whole life’ emissions – I’m sure these vehicles would come out fine due to their longevity.

Tiger6791

Got a brand news 200 tdi pas pump to box pipe cluttering my garage if you need one

Stoner
    Free Member

cranberry – it’s a D2 that I had in the camper van. It was put in the camper van 6 years ago and Ive used it about 6 times since then so think it’s going to be far more use in the landy. The heater in the landy is notoriously crap, where as the D2 with 2200W will do the whole car from one outlet. The louvred outlet can be aimed at the windscreen or down into foot wells.

I might fit a remote control but I have a timed controller for mine so can program it to come on for the skool run 🙂

I had to put a cowl on the back of the cubby to be able to mount the D2 far enough back in the box so that I can get a flexy hose on the outlet. It’s come out quite well – I just need to fit a tidy protecting plate above the cowl so the boys dont climb on it.

orangeboy – a lot of people put an eberspacher in the drives stowage box, with a duct that bridges the seatbox gap so that it is sucking air in from the second row footwell.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers Tiger – mine already has PAS. Not sure when it got put in though…

cranberry
    Free Member

I was fortunate that I bought my Defender ( LHD TD5 van back ) 2nd hand and all the work was already done – The heater is under the driver’s seat and that means that the battery has been moved to a newly created stowage bin in the back in the wheel arch – this also allowed for the fitting of a 2nd battery, ideal for camping and running the Eberspaecher – all in all a lot of work and all done to a good standard.

You’ll *love* that heater when the weather turns cold.

Stoner
    Free Member

They are great heaters, I will be very chuffed when it’s running this winter.

Im guessing that the yellow wire to the controller harness is suitable for a remote switch, bypassing the controller itself. WIll have to test it out and then I reckon I can stick a £10 12v remote switch from chinesebay on it. It saves having to run out into the cold morning to push a button 🙂

Im going to keep my battery box under the passenger seat – there’s a big one in there, and Im going to put some relays and bus bars in there, as well as a distributed earth.

Tiger6791

The louvred outlet can be aimed at the windscreen

Don’t do this!!!!

I learn’t the hard way 😥

Stoner
    Free Member

Its all right. Ive already broken my windscreen – trying to fit the ****** back in to the frame! Grrrr.

But in my defence there was a big chip right in front of the steering wheel from which the cracks all propagated so it probably wasnt long for this world in the first place.

How much heat were you hitting your windscreen with? Mines more likely to be a warm wash of air, rather than a blast from a blow torch.

Tiger6791

Just warm air did that 🙄

There a reason the Defender heater is rubbish, it’s to save the screen 😯

If you’ve bust your screen already put a heated one in. There’s a few surplus stock factory ones kicking around at the moment. Check eblag

Stoner
    Free Member

I was toying with it, but once youve taken the £100 for the screen and another £100 for the switch & relay and timer and wiring etc, it gets a bit much.

boblo
    Free Member

“Gets a bit much”… Stoner + Landy refurb….. Sentence does not compute 🙂

Tiger6791

£100 + £100 = gets a bit much.

That’s only 2 tanks of Diesel which is about 750 miles 😯

Get the heated screen put in and stop fanny’ing man

(*your gonna have to buy a screen anyway)

Stoner
    Free Member

bastards. The pair of you.

I will look in to it further then…

Just order a pair of replacement headlamp bowls today.
    Had a pile of electrical stuff turn up.
    Hopefully start rebuilding the wings & looms later this week.

At least Ive saved £20 by hammering back into shape two rear quarter protectors salvaged from the crashed CSW. That’s something. Isnt it? 🙂

Tiger6791
    Tiger6791

Oh….

and I’ve got a spare pair of later type headlamps kicking around somewhere.

Stoner
    Free Member

thanks for the links Tiger. I shall have a look.

Stoner
    Free Member

Tiger – just had a quote from a local windscreen man to supply and fit a heated windscreen for £150. Which is a bargin so going for it. I wouldnt want to run the risk of breaking a £125 screen myself. And he’s providing the filler strip for my seal as well. All the screens on ebay for £105-165 are pick up only in Yorkshire too. So not really an option.

pictonroad

Firend of mine put a light sensing diode and timed relay in the remote line for his eberspacher. Then he taped the diode to an old indestructible pay as you go Nokia and hard wired a 12v charger to the phone.

He could text the camper van wherever he was it would pre heat the interior. Much cooler than the remote control…

wwaswas

until the Nokia started getting lots of calls from the Payment Protection Insurance ambulance chasers 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

cunning plan, pictonroad. But I think for simplicity I can manage to nip outside and press the button.

Had a delivery of parts today (specifically the silly j-clips unique to landrover needed for the side lamps) so could crack on with the wings.

One done. Really pleased with it.
    New paint job, new lamp bowls and reflectors. New vent covers. Repainted lamp surrounds and checker-plate, new indicator and sidelight units. Repainted the eyebrows, refitted with new clips. Starting on a new, relayed, lighting loom.

Now for the n/s.

righog
    Free Member

White 😯 Is it to appear in a sanitary towel advert ?

allthepies
    Free Member

Lovely!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Nice, keep them coming.

matt_outandabout

White ones look good:

Glen Dubh by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Glen Dubh by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    Matt, that’s pretty much how mine will look. Although Ive taken the snorkel off mine (it was rotten anyway) and I dont really have a need of it. It’s also worth noting that a landrover bow wave will trough right where the wing intake is 😉 Maybe the design wasnt all that haphazard…

righog
    Free Member

Don’t mind me, I am just uber jealous, as I think I am

Turning Japanese 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

And that’s the rear tub dismantled and n/s quarter removed.

I think the spark-monkey with the spot-welder got carried away when gluing my landy together. Took a lot of goes with the weld cutter to get the rear panel off in the end. It’s been backed into something and is all bent and holed – although you cant quite tell from this angle.

Now just to give them a clean, and get to work on them with the sander and grinder, with a little bit of panel beating (god bless landrover’s flat body panels 😉 ) and I might be able to get the last batch of bits to the painters by the end of next week (doors and rear tub lowers and uppers)

I love a productive day. Time for a sluice and then it’s beer o’clock.

sharkbait
    Free Member

until the Nokia started getting lots of calls from the Payment Protection Insurance ambulance chasers

Seems like a job for a raspberry pi – send it an email and it will start the heater, or do it on a temperature sensor. Once driving you could use it as your car stereo, reversing sensors/camera and satnav 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Happy today.
    Chappie from National Windscreens (Worcester depot) turned up and fitted the alpine lights to the roof. He had to sweat it a bit to get them in right, so Im very glad I didnt have to attempt it as he didnt make it look particularly easy and he’s obviously got aeons of experience. Last bit of filler lefft hanging out to allow the rubber to retract a bit before trimming and stuffing in.

He wasnt happy doing the heated windscreen into the frame with it off the body so he took them away to the depot to do it with some help from colleagues and the workshop. His colleague just dropped it off this evening and it looks brilliant.

Just need to check the wiring configuration for the 3-tab one as I was expecting a 2 tab. But since Im yet to fabricate the loom it doesnt matter.

Refitted the sunroof after refurbishing the sealing rubber with some wet & dry and some olive oil.

I need to go and chase up Ashtree for my bulkhead. Im getting impatient now. Ive been working on the sliding side windows this week too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Jeez Stoner, it’ll be too good to take into the forest.

Stoner
    Free Member

Too tight, it shall be cuddled up in cotton wool every night 🙂

Quick vox pop question on colour:

The slam panel is a minor body panel that goes around the grill. You can see it on matt_outandabout’s landy above below the bonnet. But it doenst go out to eh sides. Its the strip with the landrover decal on it. It also includes the bit below the grill above the numberplate.

Now what would people think if it were black, instead of white? The wings are still white with black light surrounds remember?

Or should they be white so that there is that link across the grill between the two wing ends?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think the slam panel will look better in white as Mattoutandabout’s. All the black bits line up that way.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think you’re probably right. I was just wondering as I dont think Ive seen one with a different colour between the wings.

sharkbait
    Free Member

White i think. If you did it a different colour it may look like you’ve grabbed a panel off a scrapper.

marcus
    Free Member

Have you had that realisation yet that you could have walked into the dealer and bought a new one for the ‘time’ cost ? 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

Where’s the fun in that?

Anyway, you cant buy a 200tdi, galv chassis, galv bulkhead, galv sills station wagon. You have to make one yourself. And when it’s done it will outlive a factory new one born today despite being 25yrs old.

Cheers sharkbait. Yep, I shall prep the slam panel to go with the others to the painters then. Need to find some nice decals for it too 🙂

marcus
    Free Member

Yeah – but finding warm E90 running down your arm, rust in your eyes and skinned knuckles ‘fun’ must make you question your sanity. I know it does me ! Looks a nice build by the way and you’re almost certainly right about the new ones not lasting as well. The steel sections of my 3 year old defender are about half the thickness of my ‘fun’ 40 year old project 2a.

Stoner
    Free Member

yeah, Ive heard terrible things about the steel quality in the latest td5’s. And to think how it could have been if Landrover had bothered to install a hot dip galv tank at Solihull… 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 543 total)

The topic ‘I am man! Defender! Provider! Mechanic!’ is closed to new replies.