Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • I am frankly, flabbergasted.
  • rj
    Free Member

MrsRJ came home tonight with the usual stack of presents that all primary teachers get at this time of year and a form from the council. Apparently she has to list any gifts that the 7 year old kids give her in order to comply with anti-bribery legislation. The world has clearly descended into utter madness.

lazybike
    Free Member

🙄

higgo
    Free Member

I hope she’s totting up the value and paying the tax on this hidden income too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    justatheory
    Free Member

My Mrs is a teacher and has never heard of such a thing. There’s no way I’m giving back the Bang & Oulfsen.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

One of her pupils gaver her a bang?

matt_outandabout

Get her to put down a Jag or something and see what the council response is… 😉

lazybike
    Free Member

when did kids start giving teachers presents, or giving out sweets on their birthdays, I left school in 76, wasn’t happening them…

ski
    Free Member

What gifts?

😉

ski
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

Get her to put down a Jag or something and see what the council response is…

lol or some heroin.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And quite right too, as far as I’m concerned.

Too often teachers of 7 year children are willing to take bribes in payment for not dishing out punishment which the little brats so richly deserve.

It’s about time someone stamped out this sort of nonsense.

julianwilson
    Free Member

If it’s chocolate-based and for all of us then my boss is pretty relaxed about it all, but I have advised my patients that anything nicer than that and I have to fill out a form every time they do, and probably have to give it back. But then when I retire, my ‘gold plated’ pension will see me in stacks of chocolate till I die a chaotic death of diabetic ketoacidosis. 😈

A nicer story is that of an old GP my mum is mates with, who was in the same practice for 35-odd years; his patients loved him so much that when he retired they clubbed together and bought him a little (as in 12 foot or so) sailing boat. I sheet you not! 😆

singletrackmind

Gifts from 7 year old pupils

1. Mont Blanc Propelling Pencil and pen set
    2. Tiffanys diamond earings ( approx 9 carat)
    3. Gift pack of Baluga Cavier
    4. Faberge Egg .
    5. Patek Philippe Calatrava
    6. Some old South African coins
    7. Hermes scarf
    8. Christain Loubutin shoes
    9. Maserati 250f

Worth it just to see what the letter in reply would say .
    Possibly ‘Your suspended’

TooTall
    Free Member

I have to state any gifts or hospitality given to me. In fact, strict rules over what can be accepted. If their interpretation of the 2010 Bribery Act is that, then it is to safeguard the teachers. A little ‘to the letter’ on their understanding, but there you go – things change.

euain

Worth it just to see what the letter in reply would say .
    Possibly ‘Your suspended’

The irony 🙂 – but madness to have to fill in the form.

PMK2060

PMK2060

We deal with one of the major supermarkets. When they come to our factory they are not allowed to accept a sandwich at lunchtime and either give you the money for the sandwich or bring their own.

I was surprised when my wife bought presents for my son’s teachers. Don’t think this happened in my day.

fisha
    Free Member

Mrs Fisha normally gets little presents from Primary 1’s. Mostly its just chocolates but the occassional trinket thing, but never anything of sizable value I dont think.

avdave2

Don’t teachers just pass these gifts on to examiners?

PePPeR

We deal with one of the major supermarkets. When they come to our factory they are not allowed to accept a sandwich at lunchtime and either give you the money for the sandwich or bring their own.

Sounds like ASDA, They’ve gone all funny in the past few years!

jimcollins67
    Free Member

I work for the local authority, and any gifts that are recieved have to recorded on a gifts register, chocolates etc. Anything bigger that this, and the policy is to refuse and explain that gifts cannot be accepted.

emsz
    Free Member

We had the riot act read to us about the bribary act, in the ‘rag trade’ it’s really bad apparently.

we had to put all the things suppliers gave us in a lottery and had a draw last Friday, got a bottle of wine.

Boss had to turn down a trip to Italy, he was gutted

nealglover
    Free Member

My other half is a primary teacher, and she teaches 2 different year groups so gets 2 lots of presents :mrgreen:

Loads of chocolates, few bottles of wine and fizz, some absolutely gorgeous home made biscuits and muffins, a few other bits and pieces and £70 in John Lewis
    Vouchers.

(no forms to fill in either……. result ! )

meehaja
    Free Member

I love ridiculous rules like this. We used to get a christmas buffet for staff working over the festive period, just chocs/cakes/fruit etc. Nothing flashy but a nice gesture from management. That had to be stopped as it was a “taxable benefit”. So we suggested putting on our own buffet, each employee bringing an item… Nope, none of us have food hygine certificates so we cannot cook, prepare or offer food on work premises for others.

is it PC gone mad? No its some prick in head office causing bother!

PMK2060

PePPeR – yes it is ASDA. I thought it might be an excuse to bring their own because i always buy rubbish sandwiches 😛

project
    Free Member

Dont a few teachers usualy bribe the kids with chriostmas presents and few years latter go to prison.

Royal Mail has also said not to give posties any more than 30 quid tip, some hope theyve got of getting a penny off most people.

wallop

Ha ha… I know which one it is 😆

PMK2060

wallop – don’t you just love the retailers

thomthumb
    Free Member

colleague of one of my clients got his pension taken off him for accepting a bottle of scotch as a retirement gift from a supplier. 😯

wallop

PMK2060 – that particular one… well you don’t mind it once they’ve told you. It can be a bit frustrating though. Some others are the opposite – take, take, take!

emma82
    Free Member

Am I missing something here? I really, really don’t get this ‘buying gifts for teachers’, or tipping anyone – royal mail posties? Wtf? Why? Why?

I read the other day that people tip hairdressers? Why? I am missing something here am I not? Why do people feel the need to bribe their children’s teachers at Christmas?

wallop

It’s all about anti-bribery and corruption laws, to ensure fair competition – though how this is relevant to teachers, I’ll never know!

P.S. – I actually failed my anti-bribery training at work 😆

project
    Free Member

4 December 2011
    Royal Mail makes bribery warning over festive tips A Royal Mail spokesman said the company was taking the Bribery Act “very seriously”
    The Royal Mail has warned staff not to accept Christmas gifts valued at more than £30 for fear of bribery charges.

In guidance on its website, Royal Mail said although it is the “season of goodwill”, staff needed to be careful not to “fall foul of the Bribery Act”.

The new Bribery Act, which came into force on 1 July, made it illegal to offer or receive bribes, and to fail to prevent bribery.

Royal Mail said tips could be accepted, but not in return for favours.

PMK2060

It must be great being a teacher. Lots of holidays, gifts from pupils at christmas, no stress… 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘I am frankly, flabbergasted.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts