• This topic has 30 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I am being strangely drawn to this… ugly but interesting retrotastic content!!
  • psychle
    Free Member

Softride mountain bike! Always wanted a Softride since way back when I used to do triathlons and Greg Welch was my hero, had no idea they did a mountain bike version first! Quite tempted to snaffle it up just to see what it's like to ride… hmmmm… do I have an addiction to weirdness?? 😆

Waderider
    Free Member

Possibly the worlds most inelegant engineering solution ever.

But I still want one. Niche is good, except for single speeds and fixed of course, that's just fashion……….

thepodge
    Free Member

I'd buy one, realise i didn't like it, never use it again but never be able to sell it because i loved it too much. odd stuff like that is my weakness

psychle
    Free Member

I'd buy one, realise i didn't like it, never use it again but never be able to sell it because i loved it too much. odd stuff like that is my weakness

Same here… it's driving my wife mental, but there you go 😆

Possibly the worlds most inelegant engineering solution ever.

Yep, it's not exactly pretty is it? but rather cool, in it's own way… cutting edge at the time I'd have thought?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If you had ever ridden a Softride you wouldn't be drawn to it for one second

psychle
    Free Member

pretty awful are they? I can imagine it'd feel a bit weird with the flexy stem and the beam… can't have been too awful for it's era, it did win several XC world champs right? and in roadie form it was pretty indomitable for a while, esp. in triathlons?

johnduke
    Free Member

that stem looks incredibly disconcerting. My LBS had a customers tri bike like that in recently, the carbon seat thing-y was pretty creaky…

Reluctant
    Free Member

Less than 6 hours and only two bids! Go for it! 😀

samuri
    Free Member

That is strangely cool, I'd see if you can get it, only 100 quid so far too.

rootes1

no no no… there were wrong back in the day and they are wrong now…

like humping a snake rather than riding a bike…

psychle
    Free Member

like humping a snake rather than riding a bike…

That just makes me even more strangely attracted to it! 😆 How could they have been ridden to XC World Cup success then?

Daffy

psychle – Member

How could they have been ridden to XC World Cup success then?

A burning desire to get off the thing as quickly as possible?

psychle
    Free Member

A burning desire to get off the thing as quickly as possible?

😆

Just had an email through from the seller, the beam on it has the lighter 'rider weight limit' of 180lbs offroad, 200lbs on road… I'm currently over that, but aiming to drop the excess kg's off to get back down to 84kg, which would still have me a teeny bit over the 180lbs offroad limit… I wonder how much margin is built into these things?…

rootes1

probably more down to the pro riders than the bike and also back them other would have lost the air from their mag 21 rockshox, the proflexes would have snapped…. 😉

psychle
    Free Member

probably more down to the pro riders than the bike and also back them other would have lost the air from their mag 21 rockshox, the proflexes would have snapped….

Figured as much! 😆

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

They really are crashtastic, bounce up and down like riding a spacehopper and actually quite dangerous for an amateur like me

Made my Orange Clockwork feel like it was on rails and if you remember how noodly they were it gives you an idea about the Softride

rob2
    Free Member

safety margin a standard engineering 25% ?!

crazy-legs

Cos most other bikes of that era were equally shite although in different ways to that. They really are horrendous to ride.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

Barry at Firth Cycles has one, go be friendly to him and you could buy it 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I remember seeing them in Hardisty Cycles in Gateshead when I was about 13 – thought it must be the pinnacle of cycle engineering given the extreme design and the price. Were they about £1,600 for the frame?

walleater

The elastomer 'damping' strip probably died years ago and it'll be like riding a springboard. Or at least that was the feeling I got from the one I rode a year or so ago.

psychle
    Free Member

Barry at Firth Cycles has one, go be friendly to him and you could buy it

I guess it's his that's for sale then, as it's being sold through the Firth Cycles eBay site.

psychle
    Free Member

£272.90… I didn't want it that much! 😆 If it had stayed under £200 I'd have had it though, just for the interest factor almost! 8)

samuri
    Free Member

leave a search running on ebay for them. No doubt the lucky new owners widow will have it back on there after his funeral.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Psycle hows youf bow ti going?

Hows the rc31s too?

How do you alter the seat height?

psychle
    Free Member

Howdy Tim 🙂 . Bow-ti is good, have you seen the pics of the 'rebuild'? Been riding it a bit lately, slowly getting used to it's vagaries 😆

With your forks, haven't actually popped them on a bike yet, they're sitting in my 'spares' cupboard… their eventual home will be the Indy Fab, but for now I'm running that with a Fox F100 up front, while the trails are so hard!

timdrayton
    Free Member

If you fancy sellng them back id have em back in
    A shot!

Doing a rigid build at the mo

psychle
    Free Member

saw you're selling your Enigma… seems a shame?

timdrayton
    Free Member

Yeah it was lovely im just doing different riding at the moment it seems an expensive bike to just ride on bridleways….

I have a stumpjumper which is doing me proud andvill probably look for a cheap hardtail or even a cross for the training rides

bruk

American Bike magazine have been running a feature on a softride named the S**tbike.

Having various journos and pros riding it in comps and thing. Quite amusing reading.

Wouldn't want to ride 1 though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I am being strangely drawn to this… ugly but interesting retrotastic content!!’ is closed to new replies.