Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I am about to have a toddler-like meltdown
  • SaxonRider

Save me from embarrassing myself, save my family from my overwhelming immaturity, and tell me that, after four days of not being on the bike (other than commuting) things will be alright.

It has been an eventful week, and even though I did get out for a pootle on Saturday morning, I have not been out since. Last night, it was because of unprecedented fatigue and a very sore back; today it is because of a less sore back, and just having spent the last two effing hours running my kids to ice hockey and back, and now just feeling too effed to do anything other than spend time on here.

But with every day I lose outside, I feel cheated and I feel as if I am wasting precious time. I also become paranoid that I will lose fitness, and the last thing I want to do is return to my previous state of being unhealthily overweight and just pretending to ride.

So, other than MTFU (which I agree with), can you say something that will make me calm down and accept that for the fourth day in a row, riding just hasn’t worked out? 👿

mrsfry
    Free Member

What time do the roads close up your end!?

Get some lights on and go for a ride (don’t make me take my slipper off)

sweaman2
    Free Member

Not been on the bike for 3 weeks (broken thumb). Spending ~12 hours a week on the trainer as I’ve got BCBR in 8 weeks 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimmy

I’m in a similar boat. Biting my tongue, sucking it up.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You’ll get by with a little help from your friends. 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

Commuting is the only riding I get! You do not even count commuting! Made man / woman!

NZCol

I know what you mean.

Apply the 10 minute rule, tell yourself if you still hate it after 10 minutes you’ll come home. I’ve done it once in 42 years.

vickypea
    Free Member

Hello! I have similar frustrations so I totally understand where you’re coming from. I’ve always done a lot of exercise so when I’m prevented through illness, injury or circumstances, I can feel quite grumpy. Mr Pea says he likes to exercise whereas I need to exercise!
    My back is bad at the moment but I went out and did 30 miles on my road bike today and have made it worse, so I now have an enforced rest ahead of me!
    Remind yourself that you won’t lose fitness over just a few days, and you might even be better for the break 🙂

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Jesus I have not been in my bike, motocross bike, been for a decent walk for four months due to heart problems – spoilt git

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Get a grip, it’s 4 bloody days.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Haven’t been on the bike for almost 12 weeks now (broken collarbone with fibrous non-Union), can barely drive and am only just getting to the point where I can put significant weight through it, missed Vallelujah, will miss GT7 and other Tweedlove stuff I had signed up for, physio and I are holding out hope that I might make the Tour O’ the Borders in August but she doesn’t think King/Queen of the hill enduro at the end of that month would be a good idea..
    This year has been utter (insert colourful expletive of choice here)
    You’ll be getting no sympathy from me I’m afraid… 😥

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pretty sure it takes about 10 days before your fitness starts to decline.
    Rest more, especially if not 100% or injured and get a few early nights.

hora
    Free Member

10days? I’ve not ridden since a week last Sunday. I’m going into catch-up riding starting tomorrow evening then every day commuting.

fasthaggis

Save me from embarrassing myself

Too late,that ship has sailed 😉 😛

jekkyl

Oh SR you don’t half start some threads about nonsense. 😛

scaled
    Free Member

Make the commute more interesting*?

*may require a new bike

CountZero

But with every day I lose outside, I feel cheated and I feel as if I am wasting precious time. I also become paranoid that I will lose fitness, and the last thing I want to do is return to my previous state of being unhealthily overweight and just pretending to ride.

Well, I haven’t ridden my bikes for getting on for four/five years, and despite that I can now wear a pair of 501’s I last wore before I started riding mountain bikes in 1988.
    I’m not sure if there’s a correlation…

bigyinn
    Free Member

You’re puny?

Stevet1
    Free Member

But with every day I lose outside, I feel cheated and I feel as if I am wasting precious time

I can 100% relate to that, but suspect I would have to practically live outside as a hobo before it went away.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ride at the weekend, SR?

SaxonRider

Most definitely, molgrips. You have a preference for road or mountain?

I’ll go either, as long as it doesn’t involve much stopping…

molgrips
    Free Member

Mountain. It’ll be dry, let’s hit the mountains.

Subject to approval ofc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apply the 10 minute rule, tell yourself if you still hate it after 10 minutes you’ll come home. I’ve done it once in 42 years.

+1

Although I’ve come back a lot more than once, my usual rule of thumb was if I rode as far as the LBS I’d carry on, if I still didn’t feel it I’d come home the other way and it was still 50/50 I’d warm up and find motivation. But some days it just doesn’t feel like fun so I’d swap shoes and go for a run instead, I always hate that and half and hour gives the same sore legs as a much longer bike ride.

Oddly it usually meant the next day I was itching to go!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I am about to have a toddler-like meltdown’ is closed to new replies.