• This topic has 58 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • I’ve not been the cinema in 20 years…
  • Jamie
    Free Member

….but tempted to go and see Bladerunner 2049.

Cost aside, 2D or 3D?

Just to confirm, I’ve never seen a film in 3D.

RichPenny
    Free Member

imax 2d

mulacs

Same questions here, watching with interest….

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t think 3D adds anything. 2D IMAX is the way to go IMO

Jamie
    Free Member

It would be regular 2D. No imax screen near me unfortunately.

mikey74
    Free Member

Then 2D, but sit close :mrgreen:

joshvegas
    Free Member

2d

3d is awful.

Drac

3D imax is awesome, 3D normal screen is Ok.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure if it makes a difference. But looks like my local cinema does it’s 2D showings in a shoebox. Which I think I’d prefer.

2D

3D

Edit: Actually, I think it’s just one huge screen, and all the others are smaller. Will have to ring.

kayak23

Just to confirm, I’ve never seen a film in 3D

Not even Jaws 3? That was really ropey awesome when it came out!

dannybgoode

Depends on the 3D screen. The newest IMAX 3D screens are incredible – way better than the early ones.

hodgynd
    Free Member

If you haven’t been for 20 years I would be trying out everything you can ..including DMax ..
    That aside ..3D has always given me a mild headache ..

jimdubleyou

Depends on the 3D screen. The newest IMAX 3D screens are incredible – way better than the early ones.

The laser projection screens are nowhere near as shit as normal 3D.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve been to the cinema about 5 times in the last 20 years. All of those times because the missis wanted to go!

Seeing as she is a Bladerunner fan from the first time round, we are booked in to see the new version on Thursday.

It’s on at the local mid Wales rural town cinema. Didn’t seem to get a choice of 3D or IMAX. In fact it didn’t even give me the option to choose seats!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Jamie, It looks like your Showcase cinema 2d showings have the newer electric reclining armchair, like ours does, Where as the 3d showing still has the older flip up chairs.

P-Jay
    Free Member

2D for me, I’ve never liked 3D

Mister-P
    Free Member

The last time I went to the cinema was for Kill Bill 2 which was apparently 2004. Bladerunner 2049 does look like a very good reason to venture back.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, It looks like your Showcase cinema 2d showings have the newer electric reclining armchair….

Hope so. Bladerunner is nearly 3hrs long

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve not been the cinema in 20 years…

In which case you’d best prepare to get unceremoniously bent over for drinks and popcorn.

DezB
    Free Member

Will have to ring.

I’ve not rung a cinema in 30 years!

bikebouy
    Free Member

2D here as well, I’m not keen on 3D because it just detracts from the storyline because you are always looking out for the effects rather than what’s going on..

Just go for a luxury seat, and relax.

stumpy01

Oh yes, get thee to the 2D showing at the showcase.
    Since they did it up to ‘deluxe’, the seats are amazing.
    Tons of leg room and full recline option. Plus they have a Costa in the foyer, so you can take a latte in to enjoy with your sneaked-in Minstrels!

Jamie
    Free Member

I was planning on taping some confectionary based contraband to my legs

Or are the searches more invasive. As I draw the line at shoving revels up me bum.

I’ve not rung a cinema in 30 years!

Bloody hipsters.

perchypanther
    Free Member

As I draw the line at shoving revels up me bum.

The coffee ones would taste exactly the same afterwards.

Jamie
    Free Member

*insert finger of fudge joke here*

stumpy01

Given the recent Roadmen thread, I would assume you have a suitably sized manbag/pouch for stashing confectional contraband?
    My Wife’s handbag usually suffices. Not sure she’ll come to the cinema with you though…

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

OP, out of interest. What did you see in 1997?

It was Titanic, wasn’t it?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

prepare to be irritated by people eating.

wallop

2D. Sit in the middle though, man!

Jamie
    Free Member

prepare to be irritated by people eating.

I’m irritated by people in general, so it should be a smooth transistion.

It’s a serious point. I stopped going the cinema, mainly as local cinema had crap screens, sound bleed and uncomfortable seats, but also as it only took one nob talking/eating etc to ruin a film experience. I guess now with mobile phones it’s even more of an issue.

ktaylor
    Free Member

I think the fact it is three hours long means 2D is the way to go. After an hour I start fiddling with the glasses, looking around at everyone else looking weird with the specs and I also keep comparing scenes with and without the glasses!

hodgynd
    Free Member

It’s a lot more heavy handed ..the cinema police will evict anyone using a mobile ..
    Must be some film though if they are selling tickets 32 years in advance ..

fasthaggis

prepare to be irritated by people eating

As I draw the line at shoving revels up me bum

Wait till you see how much they charge for revels,you may be tempted to try it. 😛

bikebouy
    Free Member

Everyman cinemas are definitely the cinema of choice in the Bouy household, luckily we have 2 in our locations.. they’re used to booting folks out with phones and such, but the food aspect they encourage as they sell it and bring it to you.. however, the seats are well spaced and for some reason the clientele seem to be of the same mindset.. scoff your food early and enjoy the film quietly.

YMMV

GrahamS

I’ve not been the cinema in 20 years…

Has anyone warned you that you can’t pay with old jam jars any more?

binners

Jamie later….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07koWDo7-P0[/video]

I’ve actually been quite tempted myself. I’m sure we all have 😀

wallop

I guess now with mobile phones it’s even more of an issue.

It really isn’t.

Have you got a Showcase Cinema de Lux anywhere near you? Director’s Lounge is what we tend to do.

rone

The brightness is down on 3D. I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

And if it’s not shot on IMAX (i.e lieMAX) then I would just see it on a regular screeen.

Sit in the middle near the front.

Another school of thought may be to see it on a number of formats if you’ve not been for that long.

But 3D is rubbish.

rone

Our local (Still independent cinema) is great (Worksop), all the mod-cons without the big prices.

Never have a problem with the audience despite being North Notts rough. Generally very well behaved. And I can walk to it.

blader1611
    Free Member

Last time i went to the cinema was to see Quantum of Solace and that was in 2008! No strange coincidence that my eldest was born that year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I’ve not been the cinema in 20 years…’ is closed to new replies.