Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Hypothetically speaking – what flat out xc frame
  • DT78
    Free Member

Been really enjoying my scale for a couple of years, but fancy a change, had an anthem for 3 years before that. I’m happy with all my finishing kit so looking at frame only options, or maybe frame and fork as the ctd forks are ‘ok’ rather than awesome. I have a bigger full suss to cover morzine / Wales, though tend to take the scale to trail centres as I enjoy the climbs and I’m not actually that much slower on the descents.

Must be 29er, have CK hubs so I think most axle configurations are doable.

Current wishlist is:
    Yeti arc
    niner air
    Santa Cruz highball (not sure if you can buy carbon frame separate)
    Maybe pivot les though know very little about these.

Debating another short travel FS like a salsa spearfish. Feel free to recommend what you’ve got / gratuitous pictures

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Whyte 29C? Bought mine as a full build, but like you I wasn’t that keen on the CTD forks so switched them for some DT Swiss XMM100s.

Test rode the Whyte back to back with a Scale and found the Whyte a bit more confident descending, although I’d have been pretty happy with either.

qwerty
    Free Member

Flat out XC is all about the soft tail this season dharling.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qwerty
    Free Member

(apparently)

wwaswas

BMC seem to do some good xc frames, as do Scott.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Felt nine carbon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Open? Someone on here has rather a nice one (first post here).

IA

Debating another short travel FS like a salsa spearfish.

Similar dilemma recently.

Ended up with a Rose Dr Z (old version ) which I’m very happy with but it’s more cheaper than it is flat out.

I’d be looking at the Canyon LUX CF 29 for cheaper with a race license:

https://www.canyon.com/en/service/sponsoring.html

Light and on the spanky side of XC, if you’re after such a thing you probably have a license anyhow.

brennanpj
    Free Member

Canyon , Grand canyon slx. sold mine last year and regret it. im looking into another one! Frame only have a sale on at the moment!

cubicboy
    Free Member

I demo’d a carbon Highball and it was a great bike – I found it to be quite burly (for my riding style). I ended up with an Open which is super-fast. I ride it mainly in the Peaks and trail centres. It’s a fantastic bike but I’m yearning a FS for a slightly easier ride.

cubicboy
    Free Member

^ I didn’t mention that I loved the Highball but the Open just tipped the balance on looks 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Maybe pivot les though know very little about these

I lust after these bikes (well the 27.5 more so). Seen a few in the flesh and they look gorgeous. All the reports I’ve read are very complimentary too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cubicboy, if you want to sell the Open… 😉

cubicboy
    Free Member

Mr Blobby… I’m just about to buy a FS today. I may well sell the Open.

adsh
    Free Member

Much as I love my Spearfish, in no way could I describe it as a ‘flat out XC frame’. It’s not light enough and it’s not telepathic enough. It excels at mile eating in comfort and is good enough to train XC on and do longer events. A Scale it isn’t. Despite being set up with the proper G2 forks, reasonably wide bars and short stem I notice that it requires noticably more concentration on technique not to want to widen line (wheelbase?) The rear suspension is sublime.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rVi1o2]20150419_124847[/url] by adshools, on Flickr

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I had an Air9 for a while, not the carbon one, and I really didn’t like it. I raced it a couple of times but couldn’t really get on with it.
    I replaced it with a Pivot LES. I went for the 29er as I wanted to be able to convert it to singlespeed for the winter. The Pivot is a fantastic bike, I wish I’d went with my gut instinct and bought one in the first place rather than the Niner.
    It’s great for XC racing and is comfortable enough for 6-7 hour rides.

If you’re anywhere near me (West London) you’re more than welcome to have a try with my Pivot and see what you think of it.

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got a Felt 9 frame for this season, nice. Normal BB, x12 up the back and 27.2 seatpost covers my XC needs. They do a lighter FRD version.

ben98
    Free Member

Open o1.0, if I could afford one and the parts to do it justice, I’d have one in a heartbeat.

c_klein87

My Pivot les has been great, reasonable frame price, tad heavier than some but seems quality and very stiff. 20.6pounds on george budd’s scales, but thats carbon wheels, xx1, light sid’s etc so a weenie build, handles much better than my previous ktm, and looks badasssss

otherwise, BMC look nice, but hard to get hold of, anything related to jungle is silly money, yeti is nice but silly money….so Pivot, or chinese

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Sorry to gatecrash but this seems like a thread for super light hardtail appreciators!

I have a brand new 2014 Scott Scale RC 29er frame to sell in size XL if anyone is interested? £800 with Hope press fit b/b and headset. details in profile. ta.

as you were…..

DT78
    Free Member

Open looks lovely, frame price is the wrong side of 2k! Also test rode why’re 29c and went for the scale as was quicker over the test circuit. It did feel faster descending. Surprised not much love for the Niner, always lust after them at gorricks.

Canyon lux is a maybe, seems the frame price is less than the hard tail? I’ve got BC silver membership, not sure if that counts as a race license? Yeti is a similar price bracket

Thanks for the offer of a ride on the pivot, I’m sometimes that direction (well, banbury) I’ll drop you a line next time I’m up that way. Do freeborn have a demo bike? I’d be a large.

Thanks for othe suggestions will keep researching. And a scale is a great bike just fancy something different.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

flat out xc frame, but your first recommendation is to strap heavy old king hubs on?

mashiehood
    Free Member

yep, seems odd to spec Chris King on a flat out XC bike. I have an Open O-1.0 and it is a superb bike. However, please don’t buy the frame and put lumps of cast iron on it! Do it justice, you can easily get it to 19lb with everyday parts carefully selected.

DT78
    Free Member

Yes I know kings aren’t the lightest, but I wanted the versiltility of the axles and easy rebuild able as I seem to wear kit out fast the wheels were built expecting the next frame might be a 142 or through axle. At some point I’ll get a second wheelset with 240s and likely use the CKs on a trail full suss. My scale weighs in at a smidge over 10kg using sensible and reliable parts I’m happy with that, as an occasional racer it does me proud.

mrblobby
    Free Member

mashiehood, hypothetical buyer wise, what size is that Open frame?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve nothing really all that useful to add other than if I was looking at a full susser XC style machine I wouldn’t be able to get past this,

Gorgeous!!

mashiehood
    Free Member

mashiehood, hypothetical buyer wise, what size is that Open frame?

Medium – im 5’8 with long-ish legs for a shortie so fits well. 90mm stem.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve nothing really all that useful to add other than if I was looking at a full susser XC style machine I wouldn’t be able to get past this,

you’d never get to ride it, would always be in for warranty

mashiehood
    Free Member

you’d never get to ride it, would always be in for warranty

😆

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Hahaha!! There is that! Def a purchase I’d only make after winning the lottery…so you can buy two and keep one spare!

mashiehood
    Free Member

[video]https://vimeo.com/103408205[/video]

An Open O-1.0 being ridden!

DanW
    Free Member

Pivot, or Chinese

This!

On a 8.3kg Chinese Scott Scale copy at the moment (256-sl) and thoroughly lusting after a Pivot Les… mainly for the prettiness but also to dabble in SS.

You couldn’t pay me to ride a Giant or Open having tried the *Scale*- I was never too fussed on the HTA or pouring over geo charts of an XC bike but now I am sold on the Scale style geometry. I think you’d find it odd going back to the geo on an Open for example. The weight and cost would also be wasted by the proposed build 😉

If not a Pivot Les or Scott Scale, then the only other bikes of similar geo in terms of handling are Cannondale F-Si’s although they aren’t especially great value.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I want an Open! I would probably be a large unfortunately.

cubicboy
    Free Member

My Open is a medium and I’m 6ft… it fits me perfectly

adsh
    Free Member

if I was looking at a full susser XC style machine I wouldn’t be able to get past this,

Lovely though it is (and light with good geo) it’s single pivot with a test that reported appreciable bob when pedaling unless in platform.

mashiehood
    Free Member

On a 8.3kg Chinese Scott Scale copy at the moment (256-sl) and thoroughly lusting after a Pivot Les… mainly for the prettiness but also to dabble in SS.

I looked at the 256 SL frame, its super light and look great.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Hypothetically speaking – what flat out xc frame’ is closed to new replies.