Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hypothetically Part 2 upgrading hybrid/flat bar groupset
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Further to my other thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hypothetically-if-i-sign-up-for-the-2018-bham-velo

Realistically I’m going to have to get out on the Hybrid and see if I can start pedalling before I consider buying a full road bike.

No the only major issue with the Whyte is the hateful SRAM VIA groupset, which is heavy, even more clunky than normal MTV sram stuff and heavy, and has a wide Q factor on the cranks which has always felt weird and have I mentioned heavy.

What’s my best option with regards groupsets minus brakes? I want to stay flat bar for now but that therefore but the dampeners on using a road sets as they all use drop bar dual whatsaname levers. Back in the 8 and 9 speed days you could run Ultegra on an XT shifter but I gather that went the way of the dodo with 10speed.

And obvs I’m going to put some carbon bars on coz quite frankly the ally ones offend me 😆

orangeboy
    Free Member

Shimano make flat bar shifters as pert of there road bike range.
    Or di2

As for sram I think the road and mtb stuff is all cross compatible. But less sure with the 11 and 12 speed as yet to see much

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve seen that SRAM do Apex and SL700 bar shifters which are meant to be used with their Road stuff but I don’t know what the SRAM Road stuff is like? Is it smoother shifting than they MTB stuff (which I use)

I could see shimano ones called Rs700 but no details of which Groupsets they are designed to work with?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Hypothetically Part 2 upgrading hybrid/flat bar groupset’ is closed to new replies.