Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hypothetical Warranty Question….
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Let’s say I bought a bike. The original wheels were pap, so they get taken off and sold, and a spangly set of fancier wheels get fitted.

If the bike ever had a need to be warrantied, say for frame/fork issues, and perhaps needed to be replaced. What sort of issues would not having the original wheels bring up?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

None, I would have thought.

I hope you’re one step closer to buying that Giant!

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends on the warranty conditions (There might be stuff about using non standard parts or only having parts fitted by authorised dealers). It will give them a chance to wriggle out but some manufacturers are better at honouring warranties than others. It shouldn’t make a difference but that doesn’t mean it won’t. See the seat-post shim/broken frame thread.

boblo
    Free Member

Is this the Boardman? Errrmmm, hypothetically of course…

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends on the warranty conditions (There might be stuff about using non standard parts or only having parts fitted by authorised dealers). It will give them a chance to wriggle out but some manufacturers are better at honouring warranties than others. It shouldn’t make a difference but that doesn’t mean it won’t. See the seat-post shim/broken frame thread.

It was the seatpost/shim thread that got me thinking about this. As usually, I would just flog anything I took off a bike I didn’t want. Now wondering if it pays to keep bits, just in case you need to put them back on, or they ask for them back if the bike ever gets warrantied.

Is this the Boardman? Errrmmm, hypothetically of course…

Oh, I’ve sold that already 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

I bought a Lemond Road bike in 98? snapped it in 08? in that time i think the only original thing left was the front mech.

Took frame to Trek dealer, who contacted Trek, Trek came back and said we no longer make that frame but we do have stock of a similar but much nicer frame in the states (i had a 525 frame and got a Platinum OX frame back), they are unpainted so what colour would you like.

month or so later i had a brand new frame and fork. I did have to buy a headset though, £30 for a far nicer frame to replace a hammered 10 year old one, can’t complain!

Other manuafacturers, even other shops may result in a very different outcome.

boblo
    Free Member

You dint sound terribly happy with it from the off. What was wrong with it?

Jamie
    Free Member

You dint sound terribly happy with it from the off. What was wrong with it?

Nothing major, didn’t really like the Sram APEX as well as the BB30 looked like an issue waiting to happen. The main issue was it was looooooong for a small, and I was specifically looking for a small small framed CX bike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hypothetical Warranty Question….’ is closed to new replies.