Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • hypothetical dilemma: if you had to work with someone who'd killed a cyclist….
  • Pook

…. what would you do?

RustySpanner

Get changed out of my kit before starting work?

monkeychild
    Free Member

As I’m not 2 faced, I’d not communicate with them unless it was for a work related/professional reason. Just because they’d killed another human. TBH I do this with most people I don’t like at work 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

I`m friends with a cyclist who did time for causing death by dangerous driving

footflaps

Start every day with a cheery “So, killed anyone else on your way to work this morning?”

RustySpanner

I’m sure they didn’t kill them deliberately just because they were a cyclist.

scaredypants

You mean hit them with a car, presumably ?
    Original circumstances, and whether or not showing any contrition would make a big difference

If the above was bad (like, say that cow who works for the clinical trials organisation):

In what capacity – permanent colleague or briefly dealing with them ?

former, wouldn’t quit but would make my views clear to the person and any managers from the start and repeatedly refer to bike safety, shit drivers and lenient judges
    latter, refuse point blank and explain why to my colleagues

project
    Free Member

One day im going to have to face this as a mates g/f killed a car driver when she was drunk in a head on crash, she went to prison but is now realeased,havent seen her since.

I want to say to her, you did your time, you got punished, but then i think of the drivers family and what if it was one of my family members she had killed while drunk.

If it waas a pure accident then i could be a bit sympathetic, but being drunk, No.

singletrackmind

Buy them a bike ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends on
    1. how why they did it accident or murder
    2. have they repented?
    3, was it someone i loved
    I believe in rehabilitation and have worked with a number of folk who were convicted of murder
    One a driving offence the other was not but it was a fight with an unlucky punch/head interface

Both were still unable to discuss it without getting very upset.

hora
    Free Member

Run him over in the carpark and tell his wife you didnt see him.

thegreatape
    Free Member

…. what would you do?

Get on with it. What good is going to come from shunning them?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I used to work with a bloke who killed a pedestrian whilst driving a 27t truck. Does that count?
    He didn’t mean to do it. The police must have agreed because he didn’t get in trouble for it.
    It was sad, it happened, it wasn’t an issue.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Unless they kept pointing at me whispering “you’re next sunshine” then it really wouldn’t affect me.

jock-muttley

invite them round to see the foundations for your new patio..

ton

people who kill other people in a accident are just like you, me, everyone.
    it can happen to anyone, so get on with life as normal.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I have. I didn’t think it was his fault (nor did the police) and it didn’t affect my relationship with him. He though, was enormously cut up by it (kept running over in his mind what he could have done different) which eventually caused his early retirement through mental illness.

I don’t think anyone is unaffected by killing someone.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

One of ny most treasured conversations is with a man who had a fight which concluded in murder.

Your colleague killed a person, not a “cyclist”, and will share their life with that fact.

Context covers all.

globalti
    Free Member

My Dad killed a cyclist; an elderly man. It was a very shocking accident. The Police and the Coroner agreed that it was not my Dad’s fault and because his car was in perfect condition there was no reason to suggest manslaughter, so no action was taken. However my Dad had to live with it for the rest of his life; I used to see him flinch when cyclists appeared and he never spoke about it.

Pook

As it says in the title – entirely hypothetical. It’s not me.

MrNice
    Free Member

all depends whether it was some horrible accident (e.g. if there had been a car coming the other way when the rider in front of me decided to pull out from behind a bus onto the other side of the road with no visibility) or one of the “he doesn’t pay road tax so it’s OK to run him down” types. if it’s the first, it could have been any one of us, if it’s the second he/she is a murderer, never mind what happened legally

craigxxl
    Free Member

or one of the “he doesn’t pay road tax so it’s OK to run him down” types.

Does any such person exist as a lot of people on here claim most drivers to be like this but I’ve never witnessed such people.

julianwilson
    Free Member

One of my wife’s relatives was an hgv driver and killed a cyclist, in fact such a SMIDSY that he would not have realised there was a cyclist except that someone flagged him down to stop/tell him what he’d done. 🙁 iirc he was turning left or leaving a roundabout but had been going faster than/past the cyclist prior to the collision rather than there being ill-advised filtering by the cyclist. He is not an hgv driver any more (or any type of driver actually) and am not sure he would want to be even if he was allowed.

I have not disowned him and neither has my (more cyclist than me) wife.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Unless he was bragging about killing a cyclist I would imagine they would be punishing themselves enough. I would just treat them like any one else.

irc

Depends on the circumstances. There is a Fatal Accident Enquiry ongoing in Glasgow just now. A driver failed to declare a history of blackouts to the DVLA or when renewing his HGV licence. He then had a blackout and killed two students.

Talk to him? Wouldn’t phone 999 if he was on fire.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/263892-driver-william-payne-failed-to-disclose-he-suffered-from-blackouts/

MrNice
    Free Member

Does any such person exist as a lot of people on here claim most drivers to be like this but I’ve never witnessed such people.

Absolutely not “most drivers”. Most are good people,a few are simply careless. Only a very very very small minority are culpable but it only takes one. I’ve had enough incidents to know they exist.

I got run into from behind while stood waiting at a red traffic light. The driver then drove parallel-ish to me swerving around the road shouting abuse out of the window. Or the guy who did half an overtake, cut in on me, then skidded to a halt and wanted a fight in the middle of the road because I’d touched his car. His missus had to do the whole “he’s not worth it” thing before he’d back off. There are nutters out there and some of them think me being on a bike (or god forbid, wearing lycra) justifies their actions.

falkirk-mark

Why would you not work with him?

Try reading the comment section after any on line newspaper article on cycling.

aracer
    Free Member

[/quote]

Well the woman who overtook on a bend didn’t mention road tax that I saw, but I suspect that was only because she had a good lawyer. She certainly showed very little sign of contrition or considering that she did anything wrong.

craigxxl
    Free Member

She overtook you on a bend or intentionally tried to run you over? There is a big difference between the two.

aracer
    Free Member

Not me – I assumed it was recent and high enough publicity for people to know who I was referring to. Obviously not. Overtook cyclists on a bend. Didn’t see cyclists coming the other way. Hit and killed one of them who “wobbled into her path” (according to the only available witness).

Not deliberate, but she appeared to care very little for the life of the cyclist – little enough not to back off the overtake when she saw cyclists coming the other way.

craigxxl
    Free Member

No not heard about it but again I doubt the women thought it would be ok to run the cyclist over.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup I struggle with that woman – her story sounded made up.

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect that doesn’t make you best qualified to comment – or indeed to make the other comments you have on this thread.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Why? I couldn’t see a qualifying criteria to the question.

jekkyl

remember every time you see them they probably have an inner smeagol going ‘muuuurddeerrrerrrr’ (murderer) every day. 🙁

footflaps

or one of the “he doesn’t pay road tax so it’s OK to run him down” types.

Does any such person exist as a lot of people on here claim most drivers to be like this but I’ve never witnessed such people. [/quote]

Yep, met plenty in my time.

andyrm
    Free Member

You shouldn’t pass judgement unless you know all circumstances.

Could have been an accident with no clear blame attributable.

TBH I find this current trend of “us vs them” thing from the “cycling community” (I hate that concept – in fact I feel no allegiance to “cyclists” as a group) is massively divisive. It just makes people who ride bikes appear to be bellends with a superiority complex.

Do you know if he did it on purpose or was it an unfortunate accident?

If he had been in a head on car crash and the other driver died, would you be passing judgement the same? If not, then you should not even be contemplating this thread.

molgrips
    Free Member

I agree with andyrm. I’m a bloke, I cycle. I also drive and get the train and tube sometimes too 🙂

MSP

If you commute into a busy town, you share the rods with hundreds or thousands of drivers every day. The vast majority will be perfectly fine, some may be a bit careless, but the 2 or 3 angry worthless road warriors really escalate the risk factor.

Back to the op, I knew a guy who had killed a child that ran out in front of him from behind a parked car, he was never able to drive again, and was even an awful passenger in the car.

He was driving like pretty much everyone does at 30mph, like most of us will. But I do wonder about the way we have prioritised our environment for cars. You see much more in Holland and Germany, many residential streets are effectively pedestrian zones where cars have secondary priority.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘hypothetical dilemma: if you had to work with someone who'd killed a cyclist….’ is closed to new replies.