Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hypothermia
  • fizzicist
    Free Member

Anyone know abou tthe long term effects of Hypothermia?

A couple of years ago I got properly properly cold at Kielder 100. Since then I’ve been crap at dealing with cold weather. I feel the cold a lot more than ever before.

Today was fairly toast – I used to be OK in hot weather but didn’t love it. Yet today, everyone else seemed to be melting in the heat & I was quite happy with it.

Can Hypothermia alter your perception of temperature permanently?

dobo
    Free Member

dunno but my missues is always cold and im always warm. so there is a definate difference in perception in people but dont know why.

Dickyboy

no but it is well known for the long term effect of making you talk absolute bollocks on tinternet

fizzicist
    Free Member

thats beer 🙂

matt_outandabout

That is an interesting theory. In some ways it is an injury…

imnotverygood

Well, Captain Oates got very bad hypothermia on the Scott expedition of 1912 & he’s been frozen ever since….
    IGMC

DickBarton

I thought your metabolic rate affected your perception of temperature? Faster metabolic rate the warmer you were, so you would feel temperature differences an different way to someone who had a slower metabolic rate…???

Aidan
    Free Member

As far as I know, frostbite has long term implications, but I’ve never heard of hypothermia doing the same.

With frostbite, you can kill the capillaries in your extremities. Afterwards, you have less blood-flow in those areas so they’ll be more likely to frostbite in the future.

A large part of how you deal with cold is psychological, so that might be a factor for you.

I’ve had frostbite myself and read a bunch of books about polar history and the medical effects of cold and never come across hypothermia as causing a long-term problem.

Aidan
    Free Member

BTW, I’m not saying MTFU. Psychological factors are just as real as physical ones.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@fizzi – never heard of such long term effects. The Royal Navy have done quite a bit of cold water testing, they have a testing facility and a video is shown as part of the standard yachtmens survival at sea course, you might find they have published some material.

theblackmount
    Free Member

biggirlsblouse syndrome perhaps?

qwerty
    Free Member

Can Hypothermia alter your perception of temperature permanently?

No, there was a thing on the telly recently (can’t remember what) but you can reprogramme your hypothalamus (the thermostat in your brain) by conditioning it to being in cooler / hotter climates, which i guess is becoming acclimbatised or weathered (Eg working outside all day in winter and your sure notice the stuffyness of central heating indoors).

maccruiskeen

dunno but my missues is always cold and im always warm. so there is a definate difference in perception in people but dont know why.

Theres more to it than just perception theres some physiology in there too. Men and women have different skin. Men have thin skin so they leak heat. Women have thicker, softer skin which makes them all womenly and lovely but also means they retain body heat better.

Because the nerve endings that sense ambient temperature are on the skin surface men ‘feel’ that leaked heat. Women retain their body heat better but that means less heat reaches the surface so they’re more sensitive to the real ambient temperature.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hypothermia’ is closed to new replies.