Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 174 total)
  • Hypocrit Daddy doesn't wear a helmet.
  • jekkyl

How many times do you see it, a family out for liesurely cycle ride, along the cycle path one evening. 2 kiddiewinks up front aged perhaps 10 & 12 both wearing helmets, Mummy in the middle, she’s sensible she’s wearing a helmet and then there’s big bad Daddy at the back. He’s clearly aware of the safety reasons for wearing a helmet as he’s made his kids and wife wear one but not chosen to wear one himself, Daddy’s a hypocrit, Daddy’s a ****

dashed
    Free Member

This is gonna go well…

atlaz
    Free Member

Forgo your medication this morning?

Jamie
    Free Member

No. Daddy is an adult, and has the right to make his own decisions.

…or are you referring to yourself in the third person?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Daddy’s so tired and skint he doesn’t care if he lives or dies

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Daddy cannot afford a helmet because he’s spent all his money ensuring kids have decent helmets?

nickjb
    Free Member

Daddy has done a risk assessment. Likelihood of falling and hitting head while pootling with the kids, virtually zero. Likelihood of the same event for the kids, high enough to warrant impact protection.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, see it regularly. Does seem a little odd but as has been said, its his decision to have his wife and kids watch his brain leak out onto the path if he crashes.

jekkyl

Aldi are selling helmets for ten quid, they have the kite mark on, don’t gimme skint.
    Even for a pootle with the kids if you can increase your chances of not dieing, why wouldn’t you?
    Yes I agree it is his choice, I’m not ranting over it just observing.

scc999

I’d suggest it’s more of a problem of setting an example to the kids.

Dad doesn’t wear a helmet so therefor they aspire to not wearing a helmet. Explaining risk assessment to kids isn’t going to be of any use!

Si

D0NK

Even for a pootle with the kids if you can increase your chances of not dieing, why wouldn’t you?

when I took the eldest to nursery by bike (kid seat) I wouldn’t wear a helmet, child did. My reason was some research suggests you get more room from drivers going lidless so figured as not getting hit by a car was the most important thing. Pretty much every ride apart from that I wear a lid.

Dad has made sure his kids are protected, wife is presumably made an adult decision to wear one whilst dad has chosen not to. I’m guessing this was a pootle round the park or similar? Can’t see the problem TBH.

Standard risk assessment innit.

Probability of accident on a scale of 1 to 5 while ridinga bicycle at little more than walking pace;
    Novice child=4,
    Experienced adult=1.
    Likely seriousness of accident on a scale of 1 to 5;
    Novice child=3,
    Experienced adult=1.

Total score;
    Less than 3 = no helmet required
    3 or above = helmet required.

boxfish
    Free Member

Daddy’s a ****

I’m not ranting

Not much…

soobalias
    Free Member

surprised daddy wasnt wearing the stromtrooper kit i saw him wearing at swinley last week.

sandwicheater

Dad doesn’t wear a helmet so therefor they aspire to not wearing a helmet. Explaining risk assessment to kids isn’t going to be of any use!

This

Junkyard
    Free Member

Likely seriousness of accident on a scale of 1 to 5

twos issues

1. I fall from further so I hit the ground with more force- not sure why mine is lower can you explain?
    2. It is what i hit/what hits me that causes the damages- soft foam = fine and unlikely = van wing mirror being driven at 40 = not fine big rock = not good etc
    3.I will be going faster

I disagree with your assessment,
    I am less likely to fall I agree but i am just as likely if no tmore so to be hurt from the fall

jekkyl

If you’re on a cycle path at the edge of road other car users can act in unexpected ways, like pulling out for example. If you’re in a park or along the canal there are a few things that can act in unexpected ways, other kids for example running or cycling, loose dogs etc.

If you can increase your chances of not dieing, why wouldn’t you?

D0NK

dad may wear a helmet everytime he goes shredding the gnar and has explained to the kids about risk. Heck he may have busted his lid the day before or just, you know, forgotten to bring it out with him.
    Lot of guesswork and projection for what seems to be a very minor incident matter bunching of the OPs gusset

BTW you’re going to be pretty hard pushed not to do something hypocritical as a parent, I think aslong as you explain why you’re not doing what you routinely tell the kids to do and they accept it there shouldn’t be a problem.

convert

MTQG has missed the point – it is just about setting an example not about the actual risk at that moment – you feel the littleuns need to wear one so you should too just to show it is normal. It’s no different to having a rantette about the kids finishing everything on their plate but leaving all the greens on your own at the same time and not looking a pillock.

Am a total, total hypocrite though. The school I work at has a helmet must be worn rule for the kids which I flaunt daily on my 400yd ride through the village and to my dept without thinking once about the example it sets 😳

pictonroad

I’m not a hypocrite, my lad hasn’t got one on either.

That better?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Why are the kids wearing helmets?

nickjb
    Free Member

This is not a dangerous activity that requires PPE:

I will also be going faster as well

When you go for a ride with kids do you race them? 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

I dont like seeing kids wear helmets.
    Theyll hate wearing em think cycling is at best for goons, at worst dangerous, stop cycling at 13, get a Saxo at 17. Mow some poor sod over at 21 or at least get fat from inactivity and have wasted lives as big blobs of fat.

bencooper
    Free Member

He’s clearly aware of the safety reasons for wearing a helmet as he’s made his kids and wife wear one

My “wife” can make her own decisions.

I don’t wear a helmet. My daughter does. She’s much more likely to fall over and hit her head, and her head is softer. She did once ask why I didn’t wear a helmet, I told her that my head was harder than hers.

Being guilted into wearing safety equipment I don’t need is just as bad an example to kids as the opposite.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you can increase your chances of not dieing, why wouldn’t you?

Are you wearing a helmet now? Do you you wear one when you drive a car? 😈 You are far more likely to die behind the wheel of a car than on your pushbike

chip
    Free Member

Daddy’s an adult who may occasionally use colourful language, drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes.
    Daddy may stay up late watching telly or use the computer when ever he wants.

Because daddy does this should little johnny feel that he should also .
    No because little johnny should understand he is a kid and daddy is daddy.
    Do as I say and not as I do.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1. I fall from further so I hit the ground with more force- not sure why mine is lower can you explain?
    2. It is what i hit/what hits me that causes the damages- soft foam = fine and unlikely = van wing mirror being driven at 40 = not fine big rock = not good etc
    3.I will be going faster

I disagree with your assessment,
    I am less likely to fall I agree but i am just as likely if no tmore so to be hurt from the fall

I agree with MTG’s original assessment, I can only remember two JRA accidents in all the years I’ve been biking arround. One was on a wet tramline in Sheffield, the other was on some spilt diesel in the rain at a give way line. I think I probably have more trips and stumbles walking arround than I do near misses whilst pootling on bikes.

This is not a dangerous activity that requires PPE

This I agree with.

Having said that I’d still wear a helmet, but it’s a personal choice.

jam-bo

Daddy has done a risk assessment. Likelihood of falling and hitting head while pootling with the kids, virtually zero. Likelihood of the same event for the kids, high enough to warrant impact protection.

i don’t wear a helmet when I’m riding with my 2yr son because I’m worried about falling off, I do it because he insists that daddy put his ‘bikeat’ on…..

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Daddy’s a violent drunk and the wife’s too scared to mention it?

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

What if its not their Daddy? 😯

Drac

Daddy has read all about someone banging on about rotational injuries and got scared.

warton
    Free Member

I went out for a couple of miles with Warton junior(4).

We averaged 7mph.

I run faster than that. where do i buy running helmets?

Junkyard
    Free Member

tinas your anecdotes about your accidents do not negate the fact that adults are higher up than kids and therefore fall from further and hit with more force

nor do the negate the other points

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s a transition stage so daddy doesn’t have to?

Houns

Daddy puts helmets on children, helmets not fitted properly, are loose, are tilted back leaving huge amount of forehead exposed to smack in to the ground

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wearing a helmet on a cycle path……..how did I ever survive my childhood without one? Daddy won’t have a bell next.

v666ern
    Free Member

+1

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Wearing a helmet on a cycle path……..how did I ever survive my childhood without one? Daddy won’t have a bell next.

That’s the problen thought THM, you survived hence you can type on here, literally millions didn’t.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Saw a good one yesterday. Dad with helmet on, two children without. Bit of a twist on this thread…

chip
    Free Member

Daddy puts helmet on child because he loves him dearly and wants to protect him.
    Daddy does not wear one as does not feel one is necessary for him and as an adult is free to make that decision.

stranger comes over and points that he is a hypocrite and a **** in his actions and should wear a helmet also.

Daddy tells stranger to frank bough and mind his own business and there is only one lady part here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Hypocrit Daddy doesn't wear a helmet.’ is closed to new replies.