Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hydrospin.. whats the point?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Local pool is trying really hard to push hydrospinning..
    Apparently it puts ‘much less stress on your joints’ whilst sweating buckets into a pool. Why not just venture out into the real world on a real bike?

Bregante

Because it

Apparently puts ‘much less stress on your joints’

I’m guessing it’s not really aimed at cyclists…

Stoner
    Free Member

Biffer-optimised cardio.

Think Free Willy meets hard house.

mogrim

Why not just venture out into the real world on a real bike?

No fit gym bunnies in swimsuits?

njee20
    Free Member

But surely spinning doesn’t really put much pressure on your joints anyway… 😕

iolo
    Free Member

What about the people with arthritis? Who can’t even climb onto a bike without significant pain?
    I’m sure it would be quite beneficial to get their joints moving with the minimum of stress?

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you do not ride a bike regularly lots of reasons:

You don’t own a bike.
    You have no where to store a bike.
    You don’t want to get run down.
    It’s cold and raining.
    You can’t maintain a bike.
    You like meeting your other non cycling friends at the gym/pool.
    You are already a member of the gym anyway.

I would imagine “hydrospin” is actually very good exercise.

wwaswas

If it gets people off the sofa and upping their heart rate for half an hour what’s not to like?

Trekster

iolo – Member
    What about the people with arthritis? Who can’t even climb onto a bike without significant pain?
    I’m sure it would be quite beneficial to get their joints moving with the minimum of stress?

wwaswas – Member
    If it gets people off the sofa and upping their heart rate for half an hour what’s not to like?

This. MrsT has a degenerative form, sitting on a bike saddle causes severe pain. She had to stop some of her medication over the festive period due to having the dreaded lurgy which will have put her back months.
    Ps me off when people start with the ‘not trying’ crap without knowing the reasons. It may just come to them or someone close to them some day 😡

Northwind

I did a lot of water stuff when I burst my leg- not spinning but I assume it’s the same sort of thing, lets you work without being so loaded up. I’m sure for a lot of folks it’ll just be a craze, but, why not? If it gets you exercising.

I hate sweating like David Coulthard on father’s day on the turbo so I can see an appeal

wwaswas

I burst my leg

ouch!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sounds good, like a spin class but you don’t have to stop if you need a pee 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

This really is a pointless question when it comes to gym-goers. How many times have you walked past a gym on a glorious, sunny day and seen people on the running machines and/or exercise bikes? I think they just like it indoors.

cookeaa

Or just go swimming? or simply try spinning? or both, or neither… Different people like different things.

sweating buckets into a pool

Hmmmm…

Either way it’s simply another form of exercise for people to try, you might like it, you might not, you’ll never know if you don’t try it but then again if it doesn’t interest you why worry?

Russell96

Will it be 650b to ensure that the spinning creates the optimum wave action

tonyd

I wouldn’t like to swim in there afterwards, 30-60 minutes worth of wee, sweat, spit, and farts!

Where do you put your water bottle?

mogrim

How many times have you walked past a gym on a glorious, sunny day and seen people on the running machines and/or exercise bikes? I think they just like it indoors.

While I much prefer running outdoors on the trails, if you’re training a treadmill is an excellent way to follow a plan as you can do X minutes at Y pace and not have to worry about traffic lights, that hill by the supermarket, etc.

And of course the gym has a shower/changing room which your work may not offer.

Stoner
    Free Member

Where do you put your water bottle?

just dip your head in and take a meaty slurp of electrolytes…

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you can properly spin in water, imagine the cadence when you get back on the road.

MrOvershoot

I think we ought to find out what bearings they are using as if they work ok in a pool the sealing might last a british winter

If the bikes are using HTII then you won’t need to increase the resistance it will be automatic.

stumpy01

tonyd – Member
    I wouldn’t like to swim in there afterwards, 30-60 minutes worth of wee, sweat, spit, and farts!

How is that much different from what swimmers put into the pool..?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hydrospin.. whats the point?’ is closed to new replies.