Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hydrophobic coatings / sprays
  • monkeyboyjc

Any one tried them on your bike? And if so any good?
    The sort if stuff you can get for alloy wheels etc.
    I’ve a particularly muddy long (for me) cx ride coming up and want to try to keep as much muck off the frame as possible.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

The Mic off silicone works really well but avoid any frame stickers as it will take them off, oh and the brakes!

jonba
    Free Member

Not sure if the car ones would be cheaper but I’ve found silicone sprays, teflon spray and standard polish to be good for CX racing. It washes off, normally, during a really muddy race. But starting off with a really clean bike does mean it tends to pick up less mud. Spray a bit on a cloth and wipe down the important bits to stop disc brake contamination.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

I’ve always used Grangers for tents, rucksacks and footwear. Usually £8 a can from Screwfix.

PSA – Aldi are selling similar stuff at the moment for £1.49 a can.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

TBH, even a bit of furniture polish helps a lot. i used to do this if i had time. If i was rushed, a squirt of WD40/GT85 on the problem areas can ease things quite a bit

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Back to black (car bumper spray) lasts well on a frame.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone tried rustoleum never wet spray? It comes as 2 different sprays and reviews seem good..

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Mud weather time:

I use silicone spray (frame, suspension linkage points, rims).
    Cheap stuff from hardware store.
    When the bike is dry again it’s easy to brush the crap off. Doesn’t stick at all on silicone…

But I don’t use the stuff in dry dust conditions. Dry dust likes to stick on the silicone… No idea why.

Lubricant for chain, 2×10 mech and similar: there I use other stuff of course. Silicone I only use as “anti stick”…

chiefgrooveguru

Back to black (car bumper spray) lasts well on a frame.

I think that’s just standard silicone spray.

seadog101

My favourite cheapskate option is to liberally spray WD40 onto a cloth, then wipe it all over the frame. By having it on a cloth you can keep it away from those bits that don’t appreciate WD40, brakes, grips etc…

Let it dry over night. Doesn’t provide an absolute solution, but the muck will hose off way easier post ride.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

WD40

maybe. If you are very carefully.

I stay away from WD40.
    Had the impression that it creates real hassle. Killing bearings and so.

But on a

cloth

maybe fine?
    😯

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hydrophobic coatings / sprays’ is closed to new replies.