Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hydration when running – a question
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

My GF started a running course last week and the instructor asked why she takes water with her.
    He reckons their is no need for water what so ever if you are running for less than 60 minutes and no carbs for 90 mins. The carb bits sounds right but no fluid intake for 60 mins sounds total bollox!

Whats the consensus.

crikey
    Free Member

no fluid intake for 60 mins sounds total bollox!

Why?

Will she keel over and die after 60 minutes without Evian?

Don't you think humans have managed to evolve to the point where they could run for an hour without drinking?

Get a grip lad.

epicyclo

In my running days I'd fill up with water until swilling with it for a run like that (instead of carrying it) – it was in NQ and usually over 30º though.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Yep the instructor is right no need for anything up to 10k. If I'm running a 10k and there is a drinks station I'll take some but only to pour over my head if its a hot day.

crikey
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, WTF is a 'running course'?

Jesus wept.

crikey
    Free Member

An instructor? To tell you how to run?

SWEET BABY JESUS AND THE ORPHANS THIS COUNTRY IS GOING TO HELL IN A F**KING HANDCART.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

For **** sake, he is a personal instructor/trainer with 3 people running with him, its over a a certain amount of weeks building up to 5 and 10k races etc, ergo a course you bunch of pedantic sods

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    uponthedowns – Member

Yep the instructor is right no need for anything up to 10k. If I'm running a 10k and there is a drinks station I'll take some but only to pour over my head if its a hot day.
    Posted 8 minutes ago # Report-Post

not what this says:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/ProperHydration.htm

MarkE25

I never carry water on a run of less than 60-70 minutes. As an earlier post mentioned, making sure you are well hydrated before starting is the way forward I reckon. In longer races I'll carry a small bottle and fill it up at checkpoints/streams along the route.

llama

drink before you go out. 60 minutes is nothing. I would not bother with it for a 60 minute steady pace run or cycle.

nickc

It's fine 60 mins is no prob with no water. I do half marathons distance with nothing and that's 90 + mins.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im running in 30-35 degrees tropical climate (coming from the dizzy climates of aberdeen 3 weeks ago) and im taking no water(after working all day in the sun) — drink well before – we are drinking 8 or 10 litres a day – im using nuun though.

drinking nothing on my run then plenty when i get back

she wont die and hes perfectly right

brakeswithface

Probably wouldn't bother up to a couple of hours unless it was baking.

Still though: running course – WTF!

I wouldn't bother carrying water for a 1 hour run or bike ride, just have a drink immediately before and after.

A personal trainer, for what is presumably her first 5km or 10km race, does sound like a bit of an extravagance.

Cougar

Having run a few ~60m 10k's and being a horrible sweaty oik, I'd say two things:

1) he's right, you don't technically *need* water when running for an hour; however, it's a lovely thing to have on hand and very gratefully received.

2) sounds like a ****tty attitude to me, he's treating learner runners like they're seasoned atheletes which is bad form.

I can't think of a biking analogy, but I can think of a climbing one. "If your shoes don't hurt, they're too big." Yeah, true, when you've been climbing for sufficient years to where you need more aggressive kit to progress, but for most people it's outright bad advice.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

"He (or she) who runs driest runs fastest" – a badly paraphrased quote from Fausto Coppi, out of context and probably wrong but he sounds like he could handle himself in the winning big races and nobbing podium girls stakes so it's advice I personally subscribe to…

Plus carrying water as a runner makes you rubbish

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don't bother with water for runs less than 10 miles. Though oddly I'd probably feel slightly naked not having water whilst riding for a similar amount of time.

spooky_b329

Was about to post the same as Ian, if you look at an enduro event like twentyfour12, most carry water including the teams who might only fit 3 or 4 laps in per rider over 24hours with plenty of rest in between. And a lap is normally around 1hr long. At muc off they had a drinks station halfway round where people were refilling bottles, and that was probably 90 minute laps.

You could easily ride without water, but its nice to have it 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does your gf pay this person to show her how to run??

If so I will undercut their price by 50% and do telephone consultations while I sit at home. I'm sure I will get her running 5 k in mo time.

Is she based in London per chance?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Why are people so upperty about people getting help to train?

I guess the need for water depends how hydrated you are before you start.

surfer
    Free Member

Very much the Evian/Ipod generation.

I used to run regular 2 hour runs on Sunday morning with a large group (several of whom were national standard distance runners) nobody ever took drinks but we did sometimes pass through one of the cemeteries en route to get a drink from a tap, if it was warm, sometimes not.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

I agree, there is no need to carry water on these distances, but if it makes your gf feel more comfortable and relaxed then it can only be a good thing.

Whilst there is no *need* to have a trainer, the structure and motivation that one can provide may be the impetus that an individual needs to make that leap into regular and fun excercise. Them's of us on here have much more personal motivation than the great unwashed at large. I can't fault people wanting to start down the route of excercise and all the benifits that brings.

Back to the water thing again. Water loss during excercise in heat can be significant. I can't remember the water loss rate due to sweating in heat, but it can be large. I recall when in the forces, that the requirement was to drink a litre an hour when on excercise. Possibly more that is required but not far off. When you feel thirsty it's too late.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I agree that there's no need for that time/distance, but it can also be personal preference. Some days I'm happy to run for an hour and a half without water, sometimes I need/want it after 15mins, especially if it's hot (unlikely in Scotland!)

If she's well hydrated before hand, there shouldn't be any issues. I take a nuun tablet before running and it seems to help a lot.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

I wouldn't bother carrying water for a 1 hour run or bike ride, just have a drink immediately before and after.

A personal trainer, for what is presumably her first 5km or 10km race, does sound like a bit of an extravagance.

from your posts seems you could do with one!!

richmars

Agree with most posts, water not needed for 60 minutes. I guess the reason most people would take a bottle on a bike is that it's easier to carry.

stever
    Free Member

You'll be dehydrated after 60 mins, but that's not such a terrible thing. There'll be a performance hit, but less so when you get used to it. And if you can train so you don't need to take the water it's one less thing to faff with. Part of the joy of running is putting on your shoes and setting off.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hydration when running – a question’ is closed to new replies.