Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Hydration pack recommendations please
  • muddy247
    Free Member

The time has come to replace my Camelbak Mule NV-
    Really like the layout of the bag with tool compartment and built in rain cover
    Can anyone recommend a replacement?
    Have looked around and can’t find a good deal on a new Mule NV

Looked at the Dakine Nomad 18l- anyone used this pack?
    Thanks
    Muddy

marmaduke
    Free Member

I was having a look at the vango rapide. Not sure if it’s any good. The mule seemed to be about £70 online.

muddy247
    Free Member

Not looked at the Vango- cheapest I could find the Mule NV was £65 but in a hideous colour!

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

USWE F4 Pro. Brilliant!

muddy247
    Free Member

Had a look at the USWE F4- nice bit of kit but pricey! Read a good review of the F4 posted on here recently- best start saving!

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Ha! That review was me! really pleased with it still. Worth the cash I reckon……I did ask USWE about an STW discount-I’ll email them again.
    Chris

mos

My 14 year quest to get away from what i call the ‘giant overstuffed back sausage scenario’ has been brought to a halt by a Camelbak Volt LR. First ride this weekend & forgot it was there. Brilliant.

stumpy01

Osprey do some great bags. I’ve got a Syncro 10, but you’ll probably want something a bit bigger if you are considering the 18l Nomad.
    They also do it in a 15l. Take a look at the Raptor as well.

I opened this thread to suggest a Mule NV – just bought one in black/red to replace my aging Mule, but I paid £80.

Brilliant bag though – well thought out and loads of room.

iwluap

Love my Osprey Raptor. Used it to replace a MULE. Much prefer my Raptor. It’s just the small things, like the magnet that attaches the valve to the chest harness, fold out & removable tool tidy pack at the base of the pack, couple of small pockets on waist harness (for your phone, or easy access snackage), whistle on the chest harness. Modern MULEs may have these, but I’ve not looked. Get a Raptor, you won’t regret it!

stewartc
    Free Member

+1 the Osprey Raptor, great bag for all the reason listed above plus the great helmet carrying options, build quality is good also.

muddy247
    Free Member

Haven’t looked at the Osprey bags yet- still deciding if I can justify the price of the USWE F4!
    Ashy- your review is probably going to sway my decision- unless I find a great deal on a mule NV!
    Thanks for recommendations people

brassneck

Just got a Camelbak Charge from Halfords at £40 – the low reservoir is a revelation, so much more comforatble – the Mule NV is relegated to big days out only, and possibly EBay. Could do with slightly deeper internal dividers to stop tools rattling around, but I can’t fault it apart from that.

ceepers

+1 for osprey. Got a raptor for days out and a tiny viper for quick missions. Well designed, good stability when riding and the magnetic mouthpiece holder thing is genius

northernerindevon

Yet another +1 for Osprey. I have a Raptor 14 and echo everything Iwluap says above. Previously had Camelbaks but this is just SO much better….

bigblackshed

OP.

I’ve got a Dakine Amp 12. Great bag, good tool storage, not the biggest to be filling with extra clothes, but fine for an all dayer if you’re not a take everything and the kitchen sink.

The HydraPak reservoir is fine except for the bite valve. Too stiff to turn on and off one handed, if left open it dribbles down your front. I replaced the valve with an Osprey one. I needed to tape the hose tail up to get it a tight fit.

rudedog
    Free Member

Another vote for osprey raptor, great bag and the bladder design is very well thought out too

MrNero50
    Free Member

Shimano Unzen here, liking it a lot more than the Mule it replaced.

shredder
    Free Member

Have had lots of Camelbaks now have a Osprey Raptor 14 wouldnt go back.

tomhughes46

Sorry, another vote for the Raptor. Considered Dakine, Camelbak, Evoc and Vango (briefly) but features and build quality second to none. Lacks a rain cover though but as we live in the UK that’s hardly useful right?

benji
    Free Member

And one more vote for Osprey, went from a Camelbak Rogue to Raptor 6, it’s just brilliant, it’s all the details that just add up to a very comfortable and usable pack.

dougieb
    Free Member

Merlin have great deals on the hydrapak range

timc
    Free Member

Ive read all the reviews about the Osprey packs & tried a friends Viper, they seem very nice, has anyone got or tried a Camelback Volt / Charge with the lower / wider bladder? Several publications have given it favourable reviews? any independent users?

hora
    Free Member

A little leftfield. I use a Mammut CLIMBING backpack.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve got an Osprey Raptor 14 – it’s a good, lots of nice features and really comfortable but it’s not very robust. Mine has a tear in the front and one of the plastic clips has torn off – both caused by low hanging branches.
    Will probably look for something and bit less snaggy next time.

winston
    Free Member

Hydrapak appear to be made of tissue paper – bought one from Merlin (jolla) at the beginning of April and its already going at the stitching

My Mule however is now almost 9 years old and still going strong

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A mate has a Camelback Charge and really likes it. Especially the belt pockets meaning you can access stuff without taking the pack off. The lower bladder seems like a good feature. Also it’s handy to have a pack that has a bit more volume than you need to take more gear on a bigger day, or pack clothing if the weather looks dodgy.

Anyone tried an Evoc? I’ve got my eye on one that’s on offer at Wiggle at the moment.

satchm00
    Free Member

My Camelbak Mule NV is going strong after 5 years, if it dies I’ll probably buy another.

Price wise, even if it was slightly more expensive I feel I get good value out of it.

Can’t remember the model name but I have the one with the built in rain cover. Rain cover probably helps keeping it alive that little bit longer. Gets shoved in the washing machine once a year too. Comes out looking newish.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Chain reaction are now stocking USWE packs and they’re a little cheaper than buying direct .

fathomer

I’ve got an Osprey Raptor 10, which I really like but wish I’d got a 14, might sell the 10 and get a 14.

Like said above, it’s well made and has some really nice thoughtout things like the magnet, tool roll etc. which Camelbak are copying in their new packs.

What’s so special about the USWE packs?

andybrad

currently in a similar situation.

tried camleback. Works well.

tried platypus (2 different types of res) old one is like a camleback but you cant clean it effectively. new one is like hydropack but doesn’t flow enough fluid.

just ordered two different hydropack ones (regis and laguna) from merlin. Will let you know what they are like at the weekend.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Hydration pack recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.