Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Electrolytes + Energy Bars VS energy drink
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Was a great user of energy drink however as I have got a bit fitter in recent years I have needed less fluids on a ride.

I have also found though recommendation from a friend about the fizzy electrolyte tab for fluid replacement and tend to use those now and just stop for a chewy bar / flapjack etc now and again. I find the energy drink even when made up weak get sickly and gunky in ya throat.

I also have found I cramp up more on energy drink than electrolytes?

What do other people use?

epicyclo

Water

foxyrider
    Free Member

I often use water for ride <2 hours but as its soo warm and sunny at the mo I like using the elctrolyte tabs [edit: Nuun] 🙂

twinklydave

Water, or watered down down fruit juice if it's a big ride. Very occasionally I'll use Nuun, but over the course of a long ride I find "energy drinks" less and less palatable.

njee20
    Free Member

Having tried all the different combinations I now add Elete water to my choice of energy drink when cramp is a risk (which for whatever reason is only when I'm racing). Electrolyte tabs cure the cramp, but I find I run out of energy. Just using energy drink I get cramp.

When I'm just pootling I use water for anything under 2-3 hours and just normal energy drink for longer rides. Never tend to eat on rides.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

elete for me too. great stuff, never had cramp since i started using it. i get my energy more from food than what i drink – but i think its personal taste tbh

jonb
    Free Member

Most mtb rides I use water. For road rides where I carry the bare minimum of liquid I use water in winter, electrolyte in summer and energy on long rides and races. Mtb races I carry energy drink.

Nuun, psp electrolyte are the two i use most. I rarely use energy bars as I find cheap supermarket stuff as good (kellogs cereal bars and fig rolls).

Some energy drink is isotonic some isn't. If you fund you cramp then maybe you are using one when you need to use the other, or you are just pushing yourself more.

highclimber
    Free Member

after a long ride with just water I find I am incredibly dehydrated (headaches, spasms etc). I don't drink enough if its just water as I find it boring and tastes nasty if its warmed up (especially if its tap water!) tastes of chlorine. The Nuun tabs are excellent but only give Electrolytes and no additional calories whereas the SIS stuff has carbs in them too so give me A kick in the ass IMO. I also find Im better hydrated at the end.

epicyclo

If it's warm, squirt just a smidgen of lemon juice (little plastic lemon) into your water. Makes it palatable when the water is warm and you can drink more of it.

Philby

On long rides I have one bottle with energy drink and one with Nuun tablets.

cxi
    Free Member

I use Zym / Nuun / High 5 electrolytes when adventure racing or long, hot rides. Sometimes put a water bottle with Luzocade Sport or similar in in the bottle cage.

I used to take a Camelback bladder full of energy / sports drink but found 3 litres of it would give me terrible stomach cramps and dodgy guts. No problems so far with the electrolyte tablets.

convert

Energy drink if using bottles (moved to torq in the summer from Hi5 5:1, Allsport winter training formula in the winter).

Nunn tablets if using a camelbak. This is mainly because I find the camelbak gets much less manky with zero carbs in.

When using either I'll back it up with energy from gels, bananas, malt loaf, jelly babies or bars. Gels work best when it's proper balls out stuff (I'm mainly a roadie so I know what that feels like 😈 ) as more solid stuff comes straight back up. I always have an emergency gel in with my spare tube and multitool for use when it all goes wrong and the bonk comes a knocking.

foxyrider
    Free Member

On long rides I have one bottle with energy drink and one with Nuun tablets.

Yeh not a bad idea 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Electrolytes + Energy Bars VS energy drink’ is closed to new replies.