Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hydration bladder advice
  • scanker
    Free Member

Hi.

I took a Deuter Streamer 3L bladder out on Saturday for only its second outing and discovered a hole in it! 🙁 Not happy.

I’ve a Platypus Hoser 2L bladder that’s had lots of use and I’m very happy with. The only thing letting it down is the small fill opening that makes drying it after use a bit of a pain.

I need a spare for my son to start using; Has anyone got any recommendations for a wide-necked bladder of about 2L capacity or shall I just get a second Hoser? Thanks.

zilog6128

Can’t go wrong with CamelBak IMO, the newer designs are really easy to clean plus they have a lifetime warranty.

ads678

I got a couple from Decathlon the other week and think they’re great, bite valve is as good as camel back (IMO) and a lot cheaper. Opening couldn’t be any wider!!

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2l-forclaz-water-bladder-id_8304860.html

medoramas
    Free Member

The Camelback are good, but I don’t know what happened with mine – to click or un-click the hose from the bladder it requires so much f*%kin elbow grease it’s unreal!!! 👿

binners

Get yourself down to Sports Direct.

These are as good as anything else I’ve used and half the price

z1ppy

Hydrapak make loads for the different ‘pack’ manufacturers, I’ve a dakine one I got off amazon for a good price and am really happy with it, after 10 years of camelbak’s version.

legend
    Free Member

are Hydrapack valves still a bit rubbish? I’ve got one of their bladder, which I really like, but use a Camelbak valve with it

z1ppy

When I bought it, there seemed to be lots of recommendations to replace the bite valve… but I’ve never had an issue (it works & doesn’t leak), so haven’t bothered

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Source do decent bladders or various designs, and BikeSwanky seem to be doing the best online prices I could find :

https://www.bikeswanky.co.uk/catalog/1403

(I bought a 1.5L and a 3L from them the other day, my previous 1.5L lasted years but I think eventually succumbed to me leaving Milton in them for too long).

legend
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member

When I bought it, there seemed to be lots of recommendations to replace the bite valve… but I’ve never had an issue (it works & doesn’t leak), so haven’t bothered

Mine was too stiff to use one handed (you had to turn it 180 degrees to open the valve on mine), and leaked too iirc so just shoved on the spare Camelbak one

gelert
    Free Member

@medoramas mine’s the same. I can’t get the hose to click in. I have to wrap the hose with a towel and put so much force on it. It’s taking longer and longer to do it now. Very frustrating.

Any solutions? New hose? Or new bladder required?

I was thinking of buying a new one but someone above said lifetime warranty. Would that be covered?

2.0 L Camelbak bladder.

medoramas
    Free Member

@gelert So it’s not just me then… Yeah, the towel trick is a must to click it in!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Are you drying the older one out to keep clean/fresh ?

If so, there may well be a better option…

Give it a rinse through and throw it in the freezer.

dingleberry
    Free Member

The Camelback are good, but I don’t know what happened with mine – to click or un-click the hose from the bladder it requires so much f*%kin elbow grease it’s unreal!!!

@medoramas mine’s the same. I can’t get the hose to click in. I have to wrap the hose with a towel and put so much force on it. It’s taking longer and longer to do it now. Very frustrating.

Any solutions? New hose? Or new bladder required?

Same happened with mine – it’s the little o-ring on the end of the hose getting worn. You can request a new one from their warranty page. Took about a week to arrive IIRC. Mine’s now back to an easy click in!

jimdubleyou

I have an Osprey Hydraulics – nice wide neck and a magnetised bite valve. It also has a semi-rigid back and a handle which makes everything easier.

£26 for the 2 litre, £28 for the 3.

scanker
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice. I’ve ordered a CamelBak Antidote Reservoir – 2.0 litres from Halfords. Seems a good price, especially with the 20% discount code and hopefully I’ll get 10% British Cycling discount when I collect too.

@Ro5ey – I was drying to keep clean/fresh – is the freezer something I should be doing instead?

ThePinkster

I have an Osprey Hydraulics – nice wide neck and a magnetised bite valve. It also has a semi-rigid back and a handle which makes everything easier.

£26 for the 2 litre, £28 for the 3.^This^ and if you have CTC or YHA membership you can get discount at Cotswold Outdoor.

Bought myself a 2 litre about a month ago (had a 3 litre for years and it’s still working fine even after using as an airbag when crashing) and also bought a set of 3 replacement bite valve rubbers for the same price that just the bladder should have cost using my CTC card.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Never had a single isue with my Hydrapaks over the last 15yrs or so – one finally died this year.
    Replaced it with an Osprey and whilst the spine, etc is good – cleaning it and filling it are a royal pain compared to the Hydrapak.

gelert
    Free Member

Ordered a new o-ring from the warranty page last night. Thanks guys. Be great it if works 🙂

I wash mine out and stash it in the freezer. Seems to be stopping anything bad growing inside it.

medoramas
    Free Member

If you have something growing inside your camelbak (or bottle!) or if it feels very slimy (when you leave water in for 4 weeks…):
    1. wash it
    2. put the hose and mouth bit inside
    3. half-fill with warm water
    4. add two spoons of bleach
    5. fill up with water
    6. close the lid and leave for few hours.

Rinse it properly after! 8)

But it works wonders, the thing will be fresh like new!

Thanks for the info with rubber o-ring – going to order one now!

zero-cool
    Free Member

The best one I’ve found so far is from Hydropak,

gelert
    Free Member

Awesome… the CamelBak Lifetime Warranty o-ring arrived in the post today no questions asked. They said 2 weeks but it’s arrived much sooner.

Will test it tomorrow. Hope it fixes the megga hose to bladder fitting battle I’ve been having 🙂

medoramas
    Free Member

@gelert I’m waiting for mine now, then!

By then I’ll probably use bottles on tonight’s ride – don’t even want to think about fitting that basta*d hose…

gelert
    Free Member

I forgot to come back and update.

I fitted the o-ring and it fixed the “tug-o-war” hose fitting issue. Hose fitted nice and easy into the bladder again. Brilliant.

Great warranty support from CamelBak.

thenorthwind

I’ve got a Giegerig hydration “engine.” Some bits are Hydrapak. Great customer service when I got a new bite valve under warranty (may have been my fault it leaked, not sure).

+1 for keeping it in the freezer. Unless it’s out for more than a day I don’t bother washing it, just chuck it back in.

medoramas
    Free Member

I forgot to come back and update.

I fitted the o-ring and it fixed the “tug-o-war” hose fitting issue. Hose fitted nice and easy into the bladder again. Brilliant.

Great warranty support from CamelBak.

Good to know! Still waiting for mine. It was a struggle on Sunday morning….. 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hydration bladder advice’ is closed to new replies.