Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hyderabad – anyone been?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve been given the opportunity to go to Hyderabad for a week for work but I was wondering if it’s worth visiting (excluding the work bit)?

globalti
    Free Member

Never been there but I’ve been to Karachi many times, as well as Lahore, Rawalpindi and Peshawar and found them absolutely fascinating. One week would be OK and I could survive that long without alcohol so I would go, as long as the need for security was clearly understood by my employer. In the old days we used to move around discretely and irregularly on the basis that “the best security is no security at all” but your employer’s insurers might think otherwise nowadays. I haven’t been to Pakistan for about 8 years now because as a fair-skinned blue-eyed European I stand out like a sore thumb.

turboferret

I lived there for 5 years. A pretty large cosmopolitan city, active running and cycling community, but just to visit, I wouldn’t say so.

There are a few touristy things – old town, fort etc, but nothing I’d go out of my way to see, and actually I never got around to seeing the fort properly.

Any specific questions, feel free to send me an email.

Ah, further to globalti’s post, you should clarify whether you mean Hyderabad in Pakistan or India. My comments were based on the latter!

Cheers, Rich

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just realised that there’s a Hyderabad in India as well as Pakistan – which one are we discussing? I’d go to the Indian one without any hesitation.

globalti
    Free Member

Atlaz has gone to find his atlas…..

turboferret

I only discovered there was one in Pakistan when a friend asked if I had survived the flooding. I duly checked the BBC news to find there was bad flooding in Hyderabad, but the next country over!

Cheers, Rich

djambo
    Free Member

Been a few times. If you’ve never been to India then go…India is bonkersly wonderful.

Be sure to visit:
    – Charminar (old town)
    – Chowmela Palace (in Charminar)
    – Golkonda Fort
    – Falaknuma Palace (now a hotel) for high tea to see how the other half lived

For me I just like to wander around taking pictures and soaking it all up. The traffic is becoming a nightmare though to plan your trips so you’re not crossing the city too much!

br
    Free Member

I went a few years ago with work.

Plenty to see, apparently, but I wasn’t going more than 10 meters from a bog (3rd week in India) so saw nothing 🙂

zigzag69
    Free Member

Went a couple of years ago with work. Have to echo above – if you haven’t been to India, go!

atlaz
    Free Member

Sorry, India is where I’d be going of the two.

allan23
    Free Member

Just been working with a colleague from there. He’s biased as it’s a home town, but he prefers it to where he’s working now over in Mumbai. I’ll see what he recommends.

I’d go if it’s offered, trips like that are above my pay grade though.

wl
    Free Member

Spent a few nights there as a backpacker 17 years ago. I’d say defo go – it’s pretty fascinating and more islamic than most Indian cities, so has a different look and feel to it. We visited the fort and also a popular temple overlooking the city and a lake. Wandered around the markets too. Like all Indian cities, it’s bonkers.

matt_outandabout

Yes, been there. Puked on Cliff Richard there.
    Can’t remember, as I was under a year old…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs loves chicken Hyderabadi if that’s any use? She usually has it when we go to Goa.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hyderabad – anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.