Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • HWDTY? "OK to knock cyclist down with car deliberately under 10mph"
  • amedias
    Free Member

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20150401/282110635113000/TextView

go!

bah – title truncated due to length problem

roverpig

Nice Try, but I’m not clicking on any link to the Daily Mail. Let’s just say, I like my clickbait to be a bit more subtle.

martinhutch

Yes, apparently carefully knocking off a cyclist is actually careless driving. And not assault, for some reason.

It’s not a direct link to the Mail, BTW, so you’re not feeding their page stats.

amedias
    Free Member

I deliberately didn’t link directly to DM site, it’s an online reader that allows you to view the txt of the article without going to their site 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But I have to log on and all that crap. Can’t be arsed with that, or the spam emails that will follow. Sorry.

roverpig

I deliberately didn’t link directly to DM site, it’s an online reader that allows you to view the txt of the article without going to their site

OK, fair enough, my mistake. Nice work 🙂

scotroutes

Log on to what?

amedias
    Free Member

But I have to log on and all that crap.

er, really? works fine for me and I’ve not even got a login for that site

ninfan
    Free Member

Reads as if CPS (couldn’t prosecute satan) didn’t feel they could prove intent, so went with the driving charges only.

robdob
    Free Member

I have to log in too.

tenfoot

Suppose it’s better than last week’s twonk who got off scott free for killing a lad when he (the driver) was texting someone

scaredypants

She caught the fleeing cyclist whilst driving at 10mph ?

Either he deserved all he got 😉 or she lied. Lots. And lots.

tor5
    Free Member

Taking a while to load or using a old browser? Mine got there in the end over 3g, but it took almost a minute

crashrash

So being driven into at 10mph by a 2 ton steel box is not “being knocked down”! Astonished. Luckily South Devon Police seem a bit better. Local Road Cyclist caught in traffic had a taxi rear end his carbon bike “to get him out of the way” – They reported him to licensing department of council so now out of job, plus his insurer paid for new wheel and frame on bike but has taken the taxi to court for the costs as it was an intentional act – not covered by the car insurance! This TT driver should be the same.

nealglover
    Free Member

I deliberately didn’t link directly to DM site, it’s an online reader that allows you to view the txt of the article without going to their site

You can post the DM link without worry about that, the “STW dailymail click-bait filter” takes care of it anyway.

(I can’t read your link without logging in either)

andyl
    Free Member

Cyclist kicked and damaged her car first.

Maybe he stopped quickly to make her hit him?

Would you not pursue someone who damaged your car?

Not condoning her hitting him if it was deliberate but where was his punishment for causing criminal damage?

GrahamS

I can read the link without logging in.

The jist is that the cyclist and her had a row at a roundabout. He kicked the side of her car (Audi TT) leaving £300 of damage and then he scarpered.

She gave chase and rammed him at low speed (10mph).

In court she admitted Driving Without Due Care and driving without a valid MOT. She was given six points and a £600 fine.

To be honest, I’ve heard much worse and I have limited sympathy for the cyclist if he really did kick her car first.

project
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmiSF5v_Qk[/video]

MoreCashThanDash

If a cyclist damaged my car to the tune of £300 of criminal damage, I imagine I’d lose it, but hopefully not use my car as a weapon.

Love the post about the taxi further up. That needs a lot of publicity, maybe CTC or road.cc might like a link?

amedias
    Free Member

The interesting omission is *why* he kicked her car

I don’t know why but presumably there was a reason, still doesn’t excuse deliberately running into someone with a vehicle though, I also don’t see why the made such a song a dance of her profession in the article, almost like they’re trying to reinforce a split of the driver and cyclist into different social classes or something…

raymeridians
    Free Member

For those that don’t trust the Daily Mail, The Evening Standard had coverage of the same story:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/stars-fashion-designer-knocked-cyclist-off-bike-after-he-kicked-her-audi-tt-10145932.html

brooess
    Free Member

I’m not sure using your car to hit someone who’s just kicked it is quite justified… a car will do more harm to the human body than the human body can do to a car…
    Cars do funny things to people’s heads… you don’t get this kind of conflict and disproportionate retaliation on the street and public transport…

nealglover
    Free Member

Project, whoever that is in your video really should fit some tyres, he’s going to ruin his rims riding like that.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m not sure using your car to hit someone who’s just kicked it is quite justified… a car will do more harm to the human body than the human body can do to a car…
    Cars do funny things to people’s heads… you don’t get this kind of conflict and disproportionate retaliation on the street and public transport…

I don;t think anyone is trying to justify intentionally hitting someone with a car. But he did damage the car on purpose to start with which was wrong and he must have then fled so she was right to try and stop him, but seemed to have gone about it in the wrong way and gone too far by driving dangerously.

On your second point – I have seen a lot more cases of cyclists punching bus windows than hitting cars. Also I think this was a lot worse than the woman in the TT did by the sounds of it:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSG_XE8Qh60[/video]

epicyclo

Generally cyclists don’t go around kicking car doors for fun, so I’d like to know the reason.

I’ve done it a few times and it always was when I was being cut off and being put in a dangerous position. It’s the quickest way to get the message across in what is an emergency for you.

If the car comes close enough for you to kick it, it’s too close.

Some car drivers care more about saving a few seconds than your life, but put a higher value on their paintwork than the few seconds.

MoreCashThanDash

Rather depends whether the kick was deliberate criminal damage. As the copper who dealt with the driver who assaulted me put it “You can shout and swear as much as you like but the first one to touch the other loses”

Yes, I know there may be exceptions that prove that rule.

Stevet1
    Free Member

holy shit to the bus one, what was the outcome of that?

stumpyjon

If the car comes close enough for you to kick it, it’s too close.

This.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The kick depends if it done as a last resort warning then I assume it is easy to defend in court, I dont see how you defend deliberately hitting anyone in car irrespective of your speed.
    if you are stationary and you kick then less so

When I have tapped [ possibly even thumped cars that are close to me ] my response is always to show them the length of my arm from the elbow and explain it meant that is how close they were to me in their two ton box.

I have never been stationary and hit a car.

GrahamS

Generally cyclists don’t go around kicking car doors for fun, so I’d like to know the reason.
    I’ve done it a few times and it always was when I was being cut off and being put in a dangerous position.

It was implied in the article that they got into a row at a roundabout and then he kicked her car, which sounds more like road rage than self defence.

But then it was the Daily Mail so who knows.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘HWDTY? "OK to knock cyclist down with car deliberately under 10mph"’ is closed to new replies.