Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Huzzah!! The sad saga of the broken Socom is over (for those who care :-)
  • psychle
    Free Member

Sold the frame + shock to a nice chap on Southern Downhill, finally! 😆 Sorry to those who just wanted the frame, but I really wanted to sell as a complete package.

Hopefully he gets full and happy use from it. I would've liked to hang on to the beast, but I'm seriously considering the Mojo HD and the cash will be more useful put towards that!

Happy days 8)

jond
    Free Member

Cue 'how to fix a broken socom' threads on SD 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL it must have had more owners than any other Intense.

Shuld we post up a link to te various threads on here about it?

psychle
    Free Member

I think the newest owner is fairly savvy, seems confident anyway 🙂

Curly68
    Free Member

Thank god for that. Almost got the credit card out and withdrew cash for it myself!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Or not!

(saw your classifieds post on SDH)

psychle
    Free Member

how'd you know? I only just reposted this on SDH… bit of a faff with those guys over there, 2 'buyers' have let me down 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

man, if I had the cash I'd bite your hand off

psychle
    Free Member

it's starting to annoy me now… I know it's worth it, a lot of other people know it's worth it, but no-one will buy the blingin thing off me…

Coyote
    Free Member

Er, for the uninformed. What's the damage and what's the damage?

psychle
    Free Member

I refer you to just one of my innumerable FS posts on the classifieds 😆

brakes
    Free Member

maybe it's because it's a large…
    just wait a bit longer, lots of people out there getting to know pay decisions for the year this month; might be the odd unallocated discretionary bonus burning a hole in someone's pocket
    but not mine, I got screwed 😥

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Had a few people on SDH do the same thing and back out of 'definate' sales.

There seems to be quite a few kids on their who say they'll buy stuff then go and ask their parents for the money 🙁 when daddy says no your sale falls through.

richc
    Free Member

so any ideas on who could weld the frame and how much it would cost?

Tim
    Free Member

don't see how that is unrepairable. Seen worse damage repaired on other alu frames – gary fisher joshua with a headtube that was making a bid for freedom and shock mounts that were attempting a similar feat

I had a kula repaired that had a cracked headtube.

Wrap around gusset, TIG…sorted 🙂

better than binning it anyway – and its not under too much stress if you run a long seatpost.

brakes
    Free Member

I'd ride it 'as is'
    for the kind of riding I'd do on it the seat would be all the way down all of the time anyway so the only risk as I see it would be the crack propogating
    maybe you could drill a hole at each end of the crack to stop this?

psychle
    Free Member

all exactly as per my thoughts… I may have another buyer lined up off SDH, but shan't celebrate till the cold hard cash is in my accoun 🙄

peakprowler
    Free Member

Psychie. I emailed you at the weekend about this, did you receive? I"m now in a position to buy everything , please reply if its still for sale

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Well ladies and gents (actually probably just gents on here) she is finally fixed!

Crack cut out and material welded back into the hole. Welds then polished down to the shape of the tube, inside reamed out and BOOYAH! Lick of paint and you'd be pushed to tell there was ever a crack there.

Gratuitous built up pics:

HA looks pretty insane, though she seems to sit into her sag more than my old bike, so we'll see how it goes. Plenty of options to slack things out if needs be.

trail_rat
    Free Member

andy – you living in gordo and chars old place ?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Nah terry – just looks like it 'cos theres wooden flooring and its full of bikes!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Hi mate would this touch in the removed anodizing.The top one is for steel the bottom one is for aluminium.

http://www.philipmorris.uk.com/product/Birchwood-Casey-Gun-Blue-Super-Black-Touch-up-Pen

BruceM
    Free Member

Great Job looks like a brilliant repair, did you do it yourself or have someone else do it?
    If you had someone else do it, if you dont mind what did it cost?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Hi mate would this touch in the removed anodizing.The top one is for steel the bottom one is for aluminium.

Probably would yea. I'm not too fussed about cosmetics though, I'll chuck a puff of black primer on and be done with it!

Great Job looks like a brilliant repair, did you do it yourself or have someone else do it?
    If you had someone else do it, if you dont mind what did it cost?

My welding skillz aren't quite up to that sort of job I'm afraid. Got the technician at uni to do it for me. Cost me 40 big ones. The welding itself doesn't take long, but I know he spent a lot of time on prep and finishing. Does sting having to PAY someone to fix my bike though…

Curly68
    Free Member

Looks very nice. Was after this one a couple of weeks back, so its nice to see it built up.
    Intense don't anodise their bikes. It is powdercoated. Sure you don't want to swap the frame for my 6.6? 8)

walla24
    Free Member

man…that is one nice bike. good repair job wish i had the cash

Ed-O
    Free Member

Oh and I thought it was the one that Brant broke 🙂

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Awesome : )

I love it when a plan comes together!

Always good to see someone take a chance, and come up winning.

Enjoy!

toys19
    Free Member

Good Job. I would deffo keep the seatpost long and in the seat tube as far as possible.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Any post weld heat treatment?

hora
    Free Member

You have a part in Life on Mars? (The 70's leather jacket) 😆 8)

hora
    Free Member

BTW. I wish I had the talent to warrant owning a Soccom. Seriously sexy.

At the start of a ride in Edale last weekend we saw a lads Intense with Fox 36's etc. I couldnt help but compliment the bloke!

jemima
    Free Member

Sweet. Very happy to see the bike repaired and ready for use! Its a nice looking build. Enjoy!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Huzzah!! The sad saga of the broken Socom is over (for those who care :-)’ is closed to new replies.