Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Huuuuge Volume 26'' Tyre …. Anything bigger that a 2.4RQ
  • letmetalktomark

I appreciate the world of fat has a plethora of bigger tyres but thats already covered.

I’m thinking of emulating copying Surly’s new Instigator format i.e. 2.75mm tyres on 50mm rims.

I have the wheels sorted and have used 2.4” RQs before but before I go looking (think they are discontinued now 🙁 ) I thought I would ask the masses.

scotroutes

Isn’t the Knard available in 26×3″

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RQ’s have been renamed, rather than discontinued. Now called Trail Kings, and still phatttt.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Trail King = Rubber Queen.

They just changed the name.

Isn’t there the Gazzallonidi in 3″. That may not be the correct spelling. I remember they always used to do enormous looking DH tyres

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys.

I should have clarified I was trying to do it for less than the cost of the Knards.

I have a Nokian 3” tyre but its got to be 1800g! and coupled with the fact it rolls as though you are riding up through the plasticine woods into a headwind its out of the question.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Surely plenty of DH specific tyres come in at 26×2.5/6?? Although not sure of weight of the but see below for a quick pick:

Maxxis Ardent 2.6 @ £26 delivered

Northwind

Before you go down a blind alley, Maxxis 2.7s are only about 2.5 in reality, and in terms of volume probably about the same as a 2.4 RQ. I’ve not tried their 2.6 but the report at the time was that they’re on the same carcass as the 2.7s.

Kenda do a folding 2.5 Nevegal which is a little bigger, and a sensible weight but still by no means a mini fat tyre.

chakaping
    Free Member

Schwalbe tyres come up big, pretty sure my old 2.4in Muddy Marys were as big as the RQ – so the 2.5 version would be comfortably bigger.

zerocool

2.7 high roller and minions? Think Scwalbe did a 2.6 big betty

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I miss the old style Bontrager XR4. The 2.35 was huge, loved it as a back tyre and haven’t really found anything to replace it.

tomhoward

Tioga Factory DH 2.3. where the 2.3 came from I’ve no idea, it’s enormous.

Utterly shit tyre though.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I have a pair of decent XR4’s at 2.35 lying around…. and a 2.25….

The Gazzaloddi’s are huge; but very slow rolling…..

I haven’t seen much that really competes with VOLUME in comparison to the RQ, a lot of the other tyres; its the tread the makes the width….

nedrapier

New surly dirt wizard? 26×2.75″ http://www.cyclecomponents.com/cgi-bin/air_ibutik.fcgi?funk=visa_artikel&artnr=SUR0844&avd=1

And for a XR4 replacement, have you looked at the 2.4″ Conti X-Kings? Pretty fast and light. I’ve not measured them, but they look big. With them in rigid green 26er at SSUK, I had a few “Looks like a mini Krampus” comments.

zerocool

Didn’t Nokian or gazzalodi do a massive 3.0 tyre?

br
    Free Member

On One’s Chunky Monkey 2.4 comes up quite large, 5mm wider and 9mm taller than a Minion DHF 2.35.

Sticky one is grippy too.

6079smithw
    Free Member

a friend has the 2.5 GEAX tyres with a white sidewall from the On-One site, they’re pretty big and really cheap

nedrapier

Let me talk to letmetalktomark. letmetalktomark, let me apologise, I clearly didn’t read your OP. Sorry!

I’m thinking the same. I reckon it’d fit in my forks, but I’d need a new rim – and wheel. Dirt Wizard (£60 at least) plus £180 (syntace W35 or 40 on SLX say) = quite a lot for 15% more air in the front. I reckon I’ll try to cadge a go on a front wheel at some point and see if it’s Really Good or not.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Huuuuge Volume 26'' Tyre …. Anything bigger that a 2.4RQ’ is closed to new replies.