• This topic has 68 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Huskies as Pets
  • teasel
    Free Member

Someone I know once agreed to babysit a husky. It ate a large portion of his front door because he foolishly left it alone.

woffle
    Free Member

Friend had one in SA. Good guard dog, hair, lots and lots and lots of hair. And that was as an ‘outside’ dog.

They used to do dog-sledding along the beaches.

scotroutes

Quite a few up near us. I often see them when riding round the trails so I’ve no idea what sort of conditions they’re housed in. I’ve never seen one of a lead, but muzzles are very rare.

We have an annual dogsled racing weekend which will see hundreds of them on the trails. You get used to seeing a pack careering towards you with a musher barely in control and soon learn to move aside.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

My brother in law had a girl Husky when him and my Missus shared a house, she was a brilliant dog.

Very social, loved to play, needed lots of exercise and used to escape from time to time. She was often off the lead in large parks, she used to face up to other dogs but nothing more than barking at each other at worst.

The moulting periods was hard work and she needed a lot of brushing to keep on top of that.

Unfortunately he had to give her up for adoption as his Mrs is not a Dog lover, a proper shame, I’d have taken her on but I spend so long out of the house each day it wouldn’t have been fair to her.

On the warm weather side of things she used to love sun bathing and regularly pushed one or other of us off our sun loungers so she could get comfortable.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I lived in Canada for a time. We were house sitting for some one, when their duaghter came to stay. She had a Husky, it slept outside. In winter. At minus 30 deg C.

They are becoming a fashionable dog for some of the idiots round here. At least they’re nicer to look at than Staffies. God they’re ugly things.

franksinatra

We were fortunate enough to go husky sledging in Finland. Truly wonderful dogs. Amazing strength and drive, wonderful temperament, incredible seeing them in their element.

Didn’t strike me as being a great pet though.

Explorers like Amundsen used eat their huskies over the course of a long journey.

I wonder what they taste like.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I wonder what they taste like.

Dunno. I’d imagine the texture’s a bit mushy.

oldracer
    Free Member

God they’re ugly things

Who you calling ugly??

dissonance

Re the game of thrones comment – they were wolves, not huskies

Nope. They are Northern Inuit dogs. So whilst technically not huskies I doubt most people, including me, could tell the difference and instead just stick all those breeds together.

funkmasterp

My central heating doesn’t reach the park where the dog would be getting it’s excercise.

Still doesn’t alter the fact that they are overall not suited to warm climates. Malamutes especially have changed very little over time and are bred for Alaskan weather. Maybe the higher parts of Scotland may suit them.

Would you exercise this dog of yours (is it a real dog or theoretical) in the park in the height of summer? As per my original comment, some of the idiots that will buy one on looks alone will and this will be to the dogs detriment. My original post (once again) was a comment on these kinds of people.

I hope you have a husky or other similar breed and that you are a responsible owner. At this stage I’m thinking you probably have a cat, parrot or goldfish though and you are just trolling me for your own amusement 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Bigyinn is off my Christmas card list Ugly???

My beautiful Staffy Badger 😉 met a Husky on a beach down West Wales, they got on great really friendly

The only downsides are a tendency to dig

Holy cow that Husky was a JCB in disguise. As soon as it felt sand under its paws dig dig dig. Must of gone down 3ft in seconds.

dragon
    Free Member

The ones I’ve met seem quite aggressive towards other dogs, and never seem to be allowed off the lead. IMO for city dwellers they aren’t a good choice of dog for the majority.

I do find it hard to believe they don’t find it too hot in a normal central heated house. in fact a Google search suggests they shouldn’t do much exercise over 18 degC, which while I take the point that they aren’t exercising in the house, it does give you an idea of temperatures they will start finding it uncomfortable in.

martinhutch

Still doesn’t alter the fact that they are overall not suited to warm climates. Malamutes especially have changed very little over time and are bred for Alaskan weather. Maybe the higher parts of Scotland may suit them.

Temperatures in a good chunk of Alaska are actually pretty similar to ours in summer.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/fairbanks/alaska/united-states/usak0083

Perhaps this is the solution.

(joke, BTW)…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

Bigyinn is off my Christmas card list Ugly???
    My mistake, I meant bull terriers. Still not a fan of staffies though, probably more the association with some of the lower levels of society.

benp1

Re the game of thrones comment – they were wolves, not huskies

Nope. They are Northern Inuit dogs. So whilst technically not huskies I doubt most people, including me, could tell the difference and instead just stick all those breeds together.[/quote]

That’s not entirely true, only really for the first season when they were puppies – http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Direwolves (if this is to be believed)

funkmasterp

Perhaps this is the solution.

Is that photo real? It’s amazing 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Would you exercise this dog of yours (is it a real dog or theoretical) in the park in the height of summer? As per my original comment, some of the idiots that will buy one on looks alone will and this will be to the dogs detriment. My original post (once again) was a comment on these kinds of people.

I hope you have a husky or other similar breed and that you are a responsible owner. At this stage I’m thinking you probably have a cat, parrot or goldfish though and you are just trolling me for your own amusement

Not trolling at all. I don’t own a Husky, but I worked for a guy who was a Husky breeder in the Austrian Alps, so I’m pretty familiar with them (although my job was nothing to do with his dogs)

The weather in the Austrian Alps in summer have daytime averages above 20degC for 4/5 months, in those months, you excercise the dogs mainly in the evenings when its cooler.
    Other than that, they have no issues whatsoever. No need to turn off the central heating.

They can run far longer and far harder at sub zero temps, but they don’t rely on cold weather for comfort or survival unless they are working (pulling/running a sled)

benp1

I avoid walking my labs in the heat of the day at the moment, they get noticeably hot (so do I!). If that’s the only time I can walk them for whatever reason then they spend a fair bit of time in the stream to help them cool down.

They’re both black though which surely can’t help

benp1

This seems like sensible advice – http://alaskanmalamute.us/hudsons-malamutes-faq-temperatures.html

I have many owners with dogs in Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Arizona, Florida and other very warm climates. They maintain their dogs temperatures properly and do not have any problems.

In the summer you can find most malamutes’ favorite spot is inside on an A/C vent just having a snooze waiting for the temperature to drop so they can go out and play when the temperatures cool down for the day.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Our last next door neighbours had a couple of Huskies. I can only echo the issues that previous posters have highlighted. They couldn’t let them off the lead or they would hunt anything that moved and wouldn’t re-call. Lots of walking/running required including attaching them to a belt as they wouldn’t stop pulling. They spent thousands getting their back garden hard landscaped so the dogs couldn’t dig it up. Hair everywhere. Last question we had from them was “How long do you think Huskies live for?”

dissonance

That’s not entirely true, only really for the first season when they were puppies

Hadnt realised that. It was listed as boosting interest at the time especially since, well, they were puppies.

Sandwich

The neighbours cat used to sit on the fence flicking them v signs, one day it fell in the garden. No more v signs…..

Positively the best cat deterrent remover ever. Only downside is the size of the dog dumps compared to a cat one.

funkmasterp

The weather in the Austrian Alps in summer have daytime averages above 20degC for 4/5 months, in those months, you excercise the dogs mainly in the evenings when its cooler.
    Other than that, they have no issues whatsoever. No need to turn off the central heating.

He’s a breeder and a sensible owner which is brilliant for him and the dogs. The earlier posts were directed at the kind of people who’d buy a dog based on looks and the damage that not getting a breed to suit your lifestyle will cause to the animal. My fear is (just liked with Staffordshire Bull Terriers and Rotweillers a few years ago) we will see abandoned, traumatised animals taken to shelters. All because some Dickhead didn’t do their research or bought a high maintenance working dog as their first ever dog.

Used to break my heart the number of dogs I’d work with that were given up on.

I used to turn the heating off when I had a Newfoundland. Then again there were no wife and children then and I’m from Yorkshire. Bearing that in mind there would have probably been no heating on any way 🙂 the Newfi still preferred to lay down on the driveway in the rain rather than be inside.

Andy-R

I’ll be called one of those dickheads, no doubt, but I had seven at one time – all male. I did all my training on the Isle of Man and raced in that UK.
    A training run on a rig, behind even seven race-fit dogs, is a never to be forgotten experience. When you pull the hook on those they’re away like shit off a shovel and aren’t for the faint-hearted. Go to Fairbanks, Alaska and watch sprint racing there if you want to see what real speed and acceleration is. A lightweight sled behind 22 Alaskans would have most people, myself included, crying for their mummies in the first 100 metres.
    Bear in mind your leaders in this case are maybe 25 metres ahead of you and you have no control, other than voice.

I was fortunate enough to have a superb leader (Snyek Dal’nii Pevek, if anyone’s interested) and with him in front of a team it was like driving a car. You could put him anywhere on the trail you wanted, left right or centre, avoid holes and puddles, stop and turn back on yourself, adjust pace – all that stuff. It was almost like telepathy but he would only work for me – put him with another driver and he wouldn’t even want to get off the line. I trained him extremely well but I wasn’t a “good” trainer, in that he only identified with me.

Sadly missed, anyway.

My secret was that I mostly trained on wide open areas, rather that forest trails and if you can execute fancy turns on a wide beach then a forest track is a piece of piss really.
    Also the drag of sand and grass built strength like nothing else.

Andy-R

Last question we had from them was “How long do you think Huskies live for?”

In my case, up to eighteen years. Bitches probably longer.

They’re not the dogs to try and make fit in to a “normal” lifestyle though. The only time that mine would do what I wanted them to was in harness. You can’t let them loose, they are lethal with small livestock.
    Wonderful with children though and useless as guard dogs as they love people..

funkmasterp

Not a Dickhead at all as you seem to have actually used the dogs for purpose, looked after them and know the breed. The exact opposite of what I mentioned to be honest. There is a lack of dog owners of your calibre.

Andy-R

I’ll take that as a great compliment – I’m not really a “dog” person, to be honest, and so I didn’t have the same preconceptions that some people would. I accepted Siberians for what they are – a primitive working breed. Primitive in the best sense of the word.
    It was a wonderful experience though, and never to be repeated. For someone from the back of beyond to win a British Championship round on his first attempt is something that I’ll never forget.
    I remember saying to my lead dog afterwards that it didn’t matter if he never did anything right in his life again – he’d given me that, and that was enough.

If I had some photos here I’d post them, but they’re all analogue and I’m in Greece atm……

benp1

That is very cool!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Huskies as Pets’ is closed to new replies.