Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Hurricane Sandy
  • Kryton57

Doesn’t look good, does it. 1000 miles across, tidal waves and constant 85mph winds – biggest storm ever recorded. Good luck to the American folks affected. :-/

soobalias
    Free Member

waiting for bikesnobnyc to get his lazy arse off the sofa for an update.

edit: ok hes up.

neville
    Free Member

I’ve seen that film, it’s quite good: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/

T666DOM

They should make a movie about it, catchy title like 2012 or something…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it awful of me to have thought, “Oh, New York’s shut for the day. Quiet afternoon, then” this morning? 😳

Spoken to a few of my folks over there. All hatches battened down. Good luck to all. Here’s hoping you don’t need it!

soobalias
    Free Member

the pants wearing fire escape smoker is if full hoody regalia, RIP.

footflaps

Chap I sit next to at work’s son has gone on a school trip to NYC this week!

molgrips
    Free Member

My sister in law + family are in the firing line. Although they are well inland.

Biggest storm ever? You mean in terms of diameter?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Kryton where did you read it was the biggest storm ever recorded ? I’d be interested to read the piece.

Certainly it’s serious but the winds aren’t as strong as that over the whole 1000 miles. Not so much a tidal wave as a storm surge, the consistently strong winds push the water towards the land and combined with the regular tide and low pressure creates a much higher water level than usual.

wwaswas

http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/

giving a reasonable view of wind/water conditions.

ds3000
    Free Member

It’s getting mighty windy here in Queens – nothing too bad yet a few branches down here and there.

Went out on Patrol this morning, a few shops still open, some power-walkers and the occasional taxi.

I think the real problems are going to be water-related, right on the coast, low-lying NJ and Long Island communities.

Please see crap video from recce.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwuZQAsLTKU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Will update STWers as the thing progresses.

Only benefit I can see is blanket coverage of storm means no election shite on TV.

Kryton57

@Kryton where did you read it was the biggest storm ever recorded ? I’d be interested to read the piece.

It was mentioned as such on LBC Radio this morning. As was the tidal wave thing – thier US correspondant said some places where expecting a wave of 10m in height.

Similar facts are on the Sky news website.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m on 35th and 8th in New York City as I type… We’ve been asked to stay in the hotel..

They’re now talking about evacuation.. Just been out and about,and it’s getting windy..

And yup, they’re predicting it will be a perfect storm.

ds3000
    Free Member

Teetosugars – batten down the hatches, it’s geting gusty out there

Teetosugars
    Free Member

And now Barack is advising on how to react..

nicko74

They’re now talking about evacuation

erm… how? Nothing flying, they’ve shut down the subway, trains are off(?). Are you expected to canoe out?

Stay safe!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

No idea nicko… Just playing hurry up and wait… 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m on 35th and 8th in New York City as I type.

I’d evacuate as well, if I was you! To a nicer part of town! 😉

Stay safe, though!

rusty90
    Free Member

Just been talking to some colleagues in South Carolina who were all very amused.
    “Them yankees worried their money’s gonna get wet” was about the only comment clean enough to repeat.

Gotama
    Free Member

Well flashheart you’ve got a quiet afternoon tomorrow as well, back up wednesday is the aim.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Teetosugars – seriously it is safer indoors, quite a lot of people get injured or even killed by flying debris (ie stuff blown off the buildings)

MSP

There’s been some odd reactions.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/10/29/1104901/anti-gay-preacher-blames-hurricane-sandy-on-homosexuality-and-marriage-equality/

It’s odd that god tends to punish religious America far more than secular Europe, maybe there is a message there after all.

Cougar

Maybe it’s god punishing homophobes and assorted bigots.

Kryton57

jambalaya – Member

@Teetosugars
    – seriously it is safer indoors, quite a lot of people get injured or even killed by flying debris (ie stuff blown off the buildings)

Just in case teetosugars doesn’t know what debris is… At least he knows what to avoid now. 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Kryton – very good ! I was trying to differentiate from stuff being blown around at street level …

mefty
    Free Member

During the last one to hit New York, a friend who lives over there went out in a T shirt and shorts and came across the media reporters togged up in oilskins reporting an apocalypse. He said he had known worse playing on the beach during a Welsh summer holiday.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’s just starting to get a bit more lively now… 🙂

rusty90
    Free Member

Just watching the reports on CNN, Bloomberg, etc. Lots of OB units standing around in NY doing to camera pieces in full foul weather gear with absolutley nothing happening. The Bloomberg piece being slightly spoilt by the backdrop of flat calm water with a guy going past on a jet ski. Might snow a bit in Virginia apparently.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Drac

Don’t worry Teetosugars we’ll still have your stag do without you.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Looking bad now.

scotchegg
    Free Member

Is that real?

Rickos
    Free Member

No. It’s from some film*. Doing the rounds on twitbook and some durbrains are falling for it.

*28 days later?

Nick – good luck. At least married life has started with a bang! :waggle:

Drac

28 days later?

Can’t see no Zombies.

Rickos
    Free Member

Err, yeah. What was that one with Dennis Quaid?

Rickos
    Free Member

Storm surge hits NYC…

Kryton57

I remember this moment just before we experienced the Barbados Hurricane. The night of, the Mrs and I went to a restaurant at 8pm. Its was breezy and you could see the swell on the sea, but we were wondering what all of the fuss was about.

At 2am the palm trees were horizontal and the pool furniture was gone. We could see 12ft (estimated) waves crashing over the road. The noise and perceived force of the wind was incredible you could see the balccony door bowing – its then you realise you are a very small weak part of mother nature’s forcefullness and start to get pretty damn frightened!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’s from The Day After Tomorrow…

Mind the way this things picking up, it could well be like that soon enough…. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Hurricane Sandy’ is closed to new replies.