Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Hunt wheels. Any experience?
  • tomhoward

So while the stock wheels on my Sequoia elite go round and do what they are supposed to do etc, they weigh a lot and there’s plenty of room for improvement in pretty well every department, so I’m looking at These

Any experiences of them or hunt wheels in general?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of sets of Hunt wheels and they’ve been fantastic so far.
    I picked up a set of the carbon gravel wheels a few months back and they’ve been great, I’ve used them off-road a bit over the past few months then rode Paris Roubaix on them a couple of weeks back and they’re still runnning dead straight.

You can probably pick something up a bit cheaper elsewhere but I decided to go for the Hunts over some cheaper Chinese carbon wheels and I’m glad I did.

njee20
    Free Member

Their new 55mm carbon disc wheels are very tempting. I’m a big advocate of Chinese carbon, but Hunt’s weighs and figures are impressive.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The 30mm carbon disc Hunts are something like £700 cheaper than the Specialized equivalents and lighter as well.
    Seem to be really good wheels so far.

greentricky
    Free Member

They use Kinlin rims and Novatec hubs right? Gives you a chance to look around and see if you can get them built cheaper yourself

curto80
    Free Member

I’ve got the 38mm carbon rim version.

They’re ace

RustyNissanPrairie

Am running 4season gravel alloys for daily commuting and they have been great so far. Good weight to £ ratio, well finished good attention to detail. The only negative was that the 6bolt to centre lock adaptors were garbage and forced me into buying some centrelock rotors rather than faffing around with converters.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had some of the Four Season disc wheels (a couple of years ago, don’t know if they’ve changed).

I thought they were pretty good, although they did break eventually. Not sure 24 spokes are enough for a durable disc wheelset TBH.

Those ones look pretty good, although you could get better wheels for less money. They do have good customer service though.

However, I would not spend a grand on a set of shallow section, carbon wheels of average weight. I can’t see them offering any real world benefit over a set a couple of hundred grams heavier and a third of the price.

legend
    Free Member

greentricky – Member
    They use Kinlin rims and Novatec hubs right? Gives you a chance to look around and see if you can get them built cheaper yourself

This is relevant to my (can’t afford Hunts) interests….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They use Kinlin rims and Novatec hubs right?

Yes, they are Novatec hubs, as for the rims; Kinlin might make them but I’m pretty positive they’re a Hunt spec’d rim.

The hubs are average though. The bearings seemed well sealed and never went “gritty” but I managed to take a chunk of metal, and the bite guard, out of my rear freehub body. Hunt sent me a free replacement.

If you want good hubs, get DT Swiss.

Bitex are a good cheap/light option (on one set of my current wheels). The bite guards are a way better design (there’s four of them!) but the pawl springs are shite though.

FOG

I have got some and they are fine but I have a slight feeling I was the willing victim of marketing hype. If I had had the time I think I would have got cheaper wheels with pretty much the same tech but not such a glossy website.

tmb467
    Free Member

Got their cheapo 4 season discs and they feel great / stayed true

However they took a lot of effort to go up tubeless. Their customer service has been excellent tho

nathb
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

disc Hunts

Don’t say this too quickly…

sillyoldman

“dirtyrider – Member
    A recent one links a YT video “how to become a wheel company” which is a good pop at the likes of Hunt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bb7eCgLbLI&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nna1oh5tgtU&t=1s

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just as a disclaimer, i do have hunt 4 season wheels – they seem alright, nothing ground braking, aesthetically they are nice enough,

no way would i be spending a grand on the carbon ones though considering the alternatives at the price point

peteimpreza

Given you can get gravel disc wheels from Wiggle for less than half the price of the Hunt ones which are the same weight no way would I be giving them a grand for carbon wheels .

Their marketing is epic but they only buy from Farsports and don’t offer anything in terms of engineering knowledge or wheel building experience.

njee20
    Free Member

Which hubs are their disc wheels using?

I’ve got FarSports rims, and really rate them, but their options all come out heavier until you’re into the same price point, when you may as well buy Hunt!

beej
    dirtyrider
    Free Member

Which hubs are their disc wheels using?

Powerway

http://www.power-way.com.tw/hub.htm

greentricky
    Free Member

Pulled from elsewhere online

Novatec hubs used in Hunt’s wheels. Apparently 611/612 for 4Seasons and 411/412CB (carbon fiber) straight pull versions for Aero Light. I think the two go on up the range as well (carbon rims).

njee20
    Free Member

Do Novatec do Centre-lock hubs?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Hunt use different hubs on the two different 30mm carbon wheels. Not sure which ones they are but the 411/412 CB hubs don’t look the same as the ones on both wheelsets.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just another wheel brand. Well maybe a little better marketed than some but nothing amazing but not tat either

greentricky
    Free Member

Do Novatec do Centre-lock hubs?

Yes, 771/ 772

tomhoward

Cheers all.

As some of you will be aware I can be a sucker for marketing, this seems like too much, even for me.

*logs on to farsports*

nevisthecat
    Free Member

Campag Zonda.

1500 gms and you can get them for 300 quid.

Very stiff and the hubs are excellent. Ive got two sets, one is 10 years old and still running smooth.

Rim depth is 34mm i think.

nathb
    Free Member

nevisthecat
    Campag Zonda.

1500 gms and you can get them for 300 quid.

Very stiff and the hubs are excellent. Ive got two sets, one is 10 years old and still running smooth.

Rim depth is 34mm i think.

They’re not disc wheels though?

nevisthecat
    Free Member

Ah. Then ignore my gibberish

oafishb
    Free Member

As many sage others have said: very clever marketeers.

I bought identical Kinlin Rims (30mm or so), Novatec hubs and Sapim C-xray spokes direct from Taiwan and bulit myself for about 2/3rds of the cost from Bdop. I appreciate that that is a hassle for some though.

The rims are def. rebranded Kinlin though – which is not a bad thing by any means, but the overbearing imagry and marketing is a bt de trop.

I am regretting my novatec hubs as the rear needs new bearings and is chewed up a bit after 6 winter months. They have a rep for this though 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

😉

BillOddie

That’s a cracking response from Hunt, especially the first sentence!

I looked at Hunt for my last Grrrrravel wheels but ended up with Hope 20Fives, which are ace.

http://www.hopetech.com/product/hope-20five-pro-4/

plus-one

Aye god forbid anyone ploughs lots into a company and starts making a living 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

It’s not that…

“Hunt Griptec Braking surfaces”
    “Honoured to create wheels”
    “British designed”

Just 60 seconds of browsing their site and you’re blasted with buzzwords which are designed to lead the buyer into believing they’re getting something manufactured and built by them. No issue with catalogue stuff, I ride two unbranded Chinese bikes and the quality is amazing, but claiming it’s anything miles above that and charging a huge premium for it is misleading.

They’re not bringing anything to the table for that huge premium….

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Got a set of hunt x Mason 4 season disc wheels that I use purely for road duties, I finally tried to set them up tubeless and the front went on no problem, the rear kept leaking air from the valve… I rung hunt and they arranged collection for the next day, found that tape was damaged so replaced it and returned the the wheel to me (with my tyre on & inflated) all for zero cost and without me having to ask… this was all offered instantly… I’m very happy with level of service tbf… yes I could probably get the same level of service from an lbs, I’m just relaying my experience of hunt

richardthird

I picked up a set of their 4 seasons w/Pro Ones lightly used. Very nice, worth the new price too imho. Not so sure about the £1000 carbon jobbies though.

Anyone tried their bib shorts? If they’re really up to long distances (Josh I had them photo’d on his TCR kit list) then for £60 I’ll have some.

oysterkite
    Free Member

Pretty happy with mine (road aero) . A small independent British company offers a good product at a competitive price and back it up with great after sales service . What’s not to like ?! (Shock horror they source their parts from the Far East and rely on marketing that isn’t to everyone s taste….)

flange
    Free Member

I have a set of the four season aero’s. Minimal miles on them but compared to Ksyrium discs of similar value they feel like a much nicer wheel. Customer support is really good too

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Hunt wheels. Any experience?’ is closed to new replies.