Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hung up on weight……..
  • letmetalktomark

My bikes weight has never bothered me up until Friday.

In fact up until Friday I had never even weighed any of my bikes.

Popped in to my new LBS to get a steerer cut down. Just as I was leaving I spotted a Park Tools bike scale in the mechanics area.

Slung my new SS steel HT on and was surprised at 26lbs 😕

Mechanic then slung up his carbon full sus short travel thing – 24lbs 👿

Since Friday I have spent many an hour musing over where I could cut weight – resulting in unnecessary thoughts surrounding carbon etc 😆

Thinking of going back and weighing my geared Cotic but I am not sure I could handle the outcome 😆

Anyone else unnecessarily worry/muse over their bike weights?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I know the weighs of all of mine but it doesn't bother me much:
    Enduro: 32.8lbs
    Soul: 28.9lbs
    Zion: 25.2lbs
    Epic: 25lbs

All the bikes other than the Epic have been built up lighter than that in the past. I had a 22.3lb hardtail until this weekend when I stripped it down because while it was ok to ride the other bikes are more fun.

letmetalktomark

From your weights Steve 26lbs for mine makes me feel worse! 😆

I agree regarding the fun thing. I have owned a number of HT's over the years (pre disc etc) that were alot lighter than my current bikes but a lot less fun.

Guess what we read in magazines re weight should be taken with a pinch of salt…….maybe **goes back to weight saving spreadsheet**

highclimber
    Free Member

added the finishing touches my P7 frame today. I put it on the scales and it was tipping them at 30Lbs. do you really think less than 1Kg is worth the extra money of a carbon frame?

mboy
    Free Member

I try wherever possible, to put as light a parts as I think I can get away with, without being able to break them. That is if it's justifiable… Was easy enough justifying a set of Hope Pro2's on Stans 355's when they saved over a pound in weight, and I'll often buy 2nd hand parts wherever I can, but to justify a 50 gramme saving on a saddle for an £80 layout? Not likely… Hence the Charge Spoon is staying where it is!

druidh
    Free Member

£1/g

coogan
    Free Member

I have no idea, nor do I care.

ton

i currently weigh 22ish stone.
    would it make a differance if i rode a lightweight 22lbs h/tail, or a very robust 32lbs h/tail??

br
    Free Member

Since my Ti frame has gone back for repair I've been using my steel one – and definately feel the extra weight when climbing the long stuff and of course lifting it over the numerous gates/fences etc

456Ti at 25lbs and 456 steel at 28lbs, both with pedals and cruds etc.

letmetalktomark

coogan – Member

I have no idea, nor do I care.

Neither did I until Friday 🙂

Curse the new LBS with their fancy, well equipped service area!

timraven

My EX8 weighs about 29lbs, I try to get stuff that's going to put up with my flat out but clumsy riding style downhill and light enough that I can still ride up most things, though maybe a little slower/ more effort.

It's fun to ride, weight (bike or your own) is interesting not something to get hung up on though. 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I just build my bikes to be very light in the first place, saves all this worry 🙂

baronspudulike
    Free Member

Weight didn't bother me when I had the one bike. I just wanted parts that worked on it and that it was fun to ride. But since my bike collection grew I started paying a fair bit of attention to weight, trying to make a light weight hardtail, a robust long travel hardtail and a light but sturdy full sus. Making the hardtails was easy but light and strong is difficult and costs. I now pick the bike I use by the trail I'm going to ride. Although I recently sold my robust hardtail as I found the light weight hardtail so much more responsive, springy and just has more zip about it.

When you start looking at weight your wallet will get lighter quicker than your bike.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have no idea how much my bike weighs. Don't really care either, it isn't a complete tank and it rides well enough!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

If i was that worried about the weight of my bike i think i would probably have a shave and a dump before i go out and ride it to try and alleviate my concerns

avdave2

85mm travel hardtail here that weighs 32 pounds. I only weigh around 130 pounds myself so I guess I could really benefit from something lighter but I just think of the weight as extra exercise. And if someone is ahead of me and I'm not catching them I can rest easy in the knowledge that it's only because I have a heavy bike. And if someone goes past me I know it's only because they have a lighter bike. And if I go downhill really slowly it's because I'm too light to get any more than 65mm travel out of my forks.And if none of those excuses are working for me I can convince myself that the Rohloff really is inefficient and that I must have left the Son dynamo switched on causing a vast amount of drag.

So although I would love to have a really lightweight bike I'm not sure I'm ready to face up to the fact that the really limiting factor is me.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I know the weights of all my bikes but only worry about the wight or my race MTB…

Orange HT – 29lb (heavy training bike for most rides)
    Paul Milling CX – 23lb (erm a CX bike for CXing)
    Giant Anthem X0 softtail – 22lb (for MTB racing)

I use a hevier bike to train with so when i am on my race bike it is easyer.

EDIT: Sorry for got about the bike on the Turbo trainer and i dont know the weight of it cos there is no need to.

njee20
    Free Member

I'm never totally sure of the advantage of a heavy bike for training. I can see the merit on the road, where you have to work harder, but I tend to find on the MTB that if I have a heavier bike I just ride more slowly!

If i was that worried about the weight of my bike i think i would probably have a shave and a dump before i go out and ride it to try and alleviate my concerns

Surprised it took someone that long to make that comment! If you had a shave and a dump and a light bike imagine how much better it would be!

GEDA
    Free Member

Ride your bike down the steepest, rootiest, rockiest hill you can find repeatedly until all of the light weight bits break then maybe like me you will stop being hung up about weight. unless of course you are an xc racer then you are allowed to.

DT78
    Free Member

Yep, I got the bug late last year and started putting my duster hi on a bit of a diet with second hand bits and bobs. According to the luggage scales it weighs in at around 25lb now, not super light, but all durable kit. Not sure if it is because I'm fitter or because the bike is light but it absolutely flies now.

I also took a look at all the kit I drag around with me and reduced that down loads.

Lastest purchase for races –
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001MIYKV4/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_03

Saves 110g over my massive polar. Cost £8. Don't always need to look at the bike to save a bit of weight 🙂

Curly68
    Free Member

Thing is though Mark, the mechanics Scalpel had M951 parts fitted with Coda cranks. So not even the latest, lightest parts!
    Was a picture seeing your face when he put it on the scales afterwards. Was tempted to take mine down and see how that weighs but it doesn't bother me.

epicyclo

I think weight in a mountainbike is important.

I often have to lift my bike over fences or carry it through bogs or over fallen trees.

If I just rode manufactured trails maybe it wouldn't be so important, but I am convinced that a lb saved off the bike is more important than a lb saved off myself.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my new bike weighs 37lbs, it's not so much the weight that makes it hard work on the climbs, it's the geometry.

(a propedal shock would be nice, but that will have to wait – geddit? do you see what i did there? igmc)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I am worried about the fat around my middle. I could lose a stone happily. But I enjoy my food.

Was this about bikes?

clive
    Free Member

light bikes dont handle at all well

far to flighty , rather build up my legs on a 27lbs downhill missile

far more fun

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hung up on weight……..’ is closed to new replies.