Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • humungous winsxs
  • sweepy
    Free Member

Its about 35Gb but apparently I cant delete anything?
    would updating to windows10 get rid of it? or a reinstall of 7?

Im constantly skating on the edge of my HD capacity on a 6yr old dell inspiron that seems to work fine, is it worth putting in a bigger HD or would I be better off replacing the whole thing?

Thanks

leffeboy

I seem to remember you have to clean up windows updates in some way. I’ll have a quick look

edit: try the stuff at the start here http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/

I have no idea if Win10 takes less space though 🙁 – sorry. At 6yrs I would be looking to replace anyway

sweepy
    Free Member

Thanks for that, saved me a few Gb. Still in the high twenties tho.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Winsxs is a horrible idea, i particulry like waiting fro virus scanners to churn through it all. Another reason i went to OSX

Stoner
    Free Member

winsxs is one of the reasons I went to ChromeOs. When mine started filling up my SSD until it defeated the point of SSD.

Such a ridiculous idea, symptomatic of MS mentality on inefficient OS and software.

Cougar

Winsxs is a horrible idea, i particulry like waiting fro virus scanners to churn through it all. Another reason i went to OSX

Or you could just set up your AV properly, much cheaper.

would updating to windows10 get rid of it? or a reinstall of 7?

A factory reset would probably have a dramatic effect on disk space, but you’d have to reinstall apps and you’d lose anything you hadn’t backed up.

How big’s the drive? Run Treesize maybe, see if there’s any other culprits? http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/download.shtml

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Or you could just set up your AV properly, much cheaper.

at the time Snow leopard was £100 cheaper than 64bit windows

Stoner
    Free Member

but you’d have to reinstall apps

which bloats the winsxs file again. Each “ghost copy” of a dll racks up more “space” attributed to the winsxs unnecessarily.

the only saving would be those incidences created from uninstalled apps would not be left behind.

Run Treesize

used to run that (very nice app) once a week to remind me why my drive space was running out thanks to winsxs 🙂 And to think we all used to worry about pagefiles. They’re nothing compared to winsxs….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘humungous winsxs’ is closed to new replies.