Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • HUMP Backpack Cover – Osprey Suitability
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

Fancy one of the HUMP rucksack covers, but in all the adverts etc they are shown over a huge back pack. I have an Osprey 13 pack which isn’t that big at all. Wondering if the pack will be drowned by the cover and not as efficient if that makes sense, or will it fly off? 🙁

Any experiences?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any experiences?

Erm, just a little, yes…! 8) I know rather a lot about the Hump, or at least the original idea behind it. In fact, I know everything about the original idea. 8) 🙂 8)

IIRC, the original Hump should fit with anything from around 15l to 35l. Not totally sure if it will work with yours. Raptor? If so, they are rather narrow and so a Hump may well flap around a bit on it.,

Stevo210
    Free Member

aha that sounds like some first hand experience there.
    The Osprey I have is a Viper 13, missed that bit out and I think its smaller than the Raptor so it looks like the Hump is not for me 🙁

Oh well will have to stick more lights on my back instead.

Thanks for your help.

rugbydick

I commute with a Camelbak Mule (the old smaller one, not the newer larger NV model). From a quick Google image search, your bag looks slightly bigger than mine.

I tried my Hump cover for the first time on it this morning.

It’s a little bit big but it works.
    The Hump shouldn’t fly off as there are 2 elasticated straps with poppers that go diagonally across the bag to hold it on (there are on mine anyway).

I’d rather use the Hump than give someone in a car any excuse to say SMIDSY…

Stevo210
    Free Member

Hey thanks for that mate, it may well be worth a try. It was broad daylight this morning but I still had all manner of static and flashing lights front and back, just to give me a little more chance of getting to work in one piece.

Out of interest what style of Hump did you plumb for. Undecided on super reflective white or in your face flouro red.

stumpy01

If it’s a bit baggy around the sides could you not just put some folds in it around the edges and then safety pin them?

Stevo210
    Free Member

Yeah that might be a solution.
    I might take the backpack to the shop and sneak a fitment and see what I think 🙂

cupra
    Free Member

watch the poppers on it, they are crap. I am now on my third one in as many months as the poppers keep pulling through the strap when undo the top one to I roll it down to gain access, have now given up and stitched velcro on.

Vortexracing

I have a hump and an Osprey 18l.

When i get home i’ll have a go at fitting it and let you know.

Stevo210
    Free Member

mmmm reliability issues eh?
    My Osprey is the Viper 13, so a little smaller, but would be good to know your experiences…..pics would be good too if its not a massive headache.

Vortexracing

No probs, i’ll not fill it up as much 😉

TiRed

For the money, I’d spend a little more on a Deuter Race Air EXP. It expands to 18L, comes with a built in cover and you can use the hydration system from the Osprey. Mine will just about take a laptop, charger, some files and a change of underwear.

T666DOM

I use a Dakine Apex for my commute and the hump cover fits it like a glove.

rugbydick

This is my bag, it’s a 2010 Camelbak Mule:

With HUMP

IMAG0091 by rbannist, on Flickr
    Without HUMP

IMAG0090 by rbannist, on Flickr

Paceman
    Free Member

Got an Osprey talon 22 and a hump fits it snugly.

fasthaggis

Stevo

If it’s not miles bigger than your Osprey ,then I am sure you could modify the cover to fit, with some elastic cord and needlework skills 😉

or in classic STW fashion, buy a bag that fits the Hump and bin your old bag. 🙄

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for pics RD, that looks pretty good that, I expected it to look flappier (official terminology)

For the money, I’d spend a little more on a Deuter Race Air EXP.

I just need a bit more visibility not a new bag 🙁 Although it does look nice!!!

Ewan
    Free Member

Presumably Osprey’s own version will work – guess you’ll need the XS size:
    http://www.snowandrock.com/osprey%20ultralight%20raincover/osprey/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/4362

That said my Osprey has a built in cover so I can’t claim any experience.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for the link but I dont want it to keep me dry its so I dont get knocked off by an articulated lorry!! Or similar 🙁
    SMIDSY

TiRed

Those Humps aren’t cheap, and it’s something else to lose – as I tell my kids! In truth, the deuter cover is not as reflective as the Hump, but it does tuck nicely away into a hidden pocket – which took me a while to discover 😳 and fits very well.

Vortexracing

hump on a 18litre Osprey

P1040044 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040045 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for the pics mate, that looks to fit pretty good. Mine is a lot smaller I reckon though with it only being 13ltr.
    I’m going to have to try one on for size.

rudedog
    Free Member

alpkit do a universal pack cover called the shroom for £7 – I’ve got the xs one and it fits over my 12litre rucksack fine (Its not reflective though)

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for that info Rudedog. I pass a guy most nights that has a builders high-vis vest duct tapped around his rucksack, flapping like a bad’un. Seems to work for him 🙂 He is still wearing his rigger boots though 🙁

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘HUMP Backpack Cover – Osprey Suitability’ is closed to new replies.