Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Humax HDR-1000s lost all our recordings…fix or replace HDD?
  • cjr61

Ok, so a very 1st world problem I know. 😀

HDD has gone and humax are being a bit tight and not honouring our extended warranty as it was a graded item. This wasn’t stipulated when I took out the 2nd year free warranty.

Anyway, to replace the HDD looks fairly easy (YouTube). Any recommendations for a suitable replacement? 500GB or 1TB should be fine.

Cheers all

Chris

Cougar

Dunno about specifics to that box, but ask five techies for a HDD recommendation and you’ll get five different answers.

As a first choice of drive I’d go with HGST or whatever Hitachi are calling themselves this week.

Alphabet

Ours did that. We just started recording again and had no hard drive issues until the box stopped working completely about 12 months later.

cranberry
    Free Member

I would recommend anything except a WD Red drive – had 2 fail in my NAS this week, with a corresponding loss of data.

Not happy.

Seriously, get a drive aimed at AV usage was the advice when I upgraded my Humax’s hard drive some years back.

Pick a brand and hope – whatever you buy, someone will have had one fail.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You guys can just retrieve your files from your back-up drive. You do have a back-up drive?

I have used Seagate and Samsung drives for the last few years and not had any problems. I’d recommend either. I’d also recommend having at least one back-up of each drive if the information is important to you.

cranberry
    Free Member

Three_Fish – indeed, there is a backup, thankfully as that NAS has every digital photo I have ever taken, 600 ripped CDs, 650 films and several thousand episodes of TV all ripped from DVD/Bluray.

Therefore 2 drives failing is annoying and time-consuming, rather than a catastrophe.

Cougar

Therefore 2 drives failing is annoying and time-consuming, rather than a catastrophe.

It’s also far more likely than you’d immediately think. You’ve got two drives in a RAID1 configuration, they’ll be the same brand, same model, same age, same production batch even, and have near-identical usage / wear patterns. It’s not that great a leap to think that they might both have a similar lifespan.

I have this conversation a lot around server hard drives. A drive pops that’s part of a multi-disk RAID5 array, say. I push to get it swapped ASAP, folk are like “everything was working fine for three years, what are the odds of another one failing so soon?” Well, see above, and if there’s three other disks in that stack then you’ve just trebled the risk factor.

cranberry
    Free Member

It’s also far more likely than you’d immediately think.

Probably, certainly more than I would like today.

You’ve got two drives in a RAID1 configuration

4 in RAID 5. Only 1 was faulty until I shut the NAS down to replace it and re-build the array.

[don’t be rude – Mod]

they’ll be the same brand, same model

Yep

same age, same production batch even, and have near-identical usage / wear patterns.

Nope – bought over the space of a year/18 months from different suppliers

I guess I am just lucky.

Cougar

Ah, fair enough then. (-:

GrahamS

Are the Hummy forums still in the go?

Looks like it: https://hummy.tv/forum/

They were the font of knowledge when I needed to recover the HD on my old 9200.
    I believe they had some special software and the like for error checking the disk, mounting it in Windows etc (sorry, bit vague, it was years ago).

cjr61

Thanks all for the advice. I’ll try and get the box apart later to see what’s inside already.

Cheers

cjr61

This should be the pic of the drive. Any special thins I need to look out for? Sata? Or just 1TB 3.5 HDD?

Thanks

somouk
    Free Member

From what I’ve been reading it needs to be a media specific drive. The one in mine has gone as well, it seems to be a common problem.

cjr61

Thanks somouk – any replacements you’ve found in your searches?

cranberry
    Free Member
    cjr61

Cheers cranberry

Cougar

There’s no harm in getting a “video” drive, but I wouldn’t pay a massive premium for one.

This is a useful read:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/differences-between-av-hard-drives-and-green-drives.508617/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Humax HDR-1000s lost all our recordings…fix or replace HDD?’ is closed to new replies.