Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • "Humane" Cat Deterrent
  • peaks
    Free Member

Got a rather annoying, arrogant cat who thinks its very cool to keep using my now empty vegetable patch as its own personal urinal and dumping ground – little bugger!

I’ve yet to catch it in the act to give it a nice cold bath from the hosepipe to stop it doing this. Tried orange peel, reflective CD’s in the area, cat deterrent spray and the “ultimate” cat deterrent gel from Pets at Home to absolutely no avail.

Any other top tips for how I can put this repeat offender off???

Btw, not sure where my last post regarding this disappeared to!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Pee in your garden. (You could pee in a bottle first and then disperse it if you don’t want to offend your neighbours)

rondo101
    Free Member

Concrete your garden. That’ll teach ’em.

maccruiskeen

In spain and southern france (where people seem to have a bit of an irrational fear of cats) you see lots of 2ltr lemonade bottles in gardens, filled with water on their sides in peoples gardens. Apparently the cats get don’t like the distorted, magnified reflections.

The downside is it makes your garden look a bit like a landfill site

Btw, not sure where my last post regarding this disappeared to!

its hiding on the Bike Forum

trout
    Free Member

You need this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8[/video]

monkey_boy
    Free Member

white pepper, and loads of it.

or deck over the offending area like i did.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Pee in your neigbours garden. (You could pee in a bottle first and then disperse it if you don’t want to be offended by your neighbours cat) they will get the message

FTFY

gordonb
    Free Member

silly point, if you know where the cat lives, have you tried MTFU and go round to ask the owners if theres anything can be done…. reason I say this is I did MTFU after raging at mrs B about the “residue” on the grass, she “sent” me round, and they now keep the cat in….. oh, I was getting sloppy residue at least once a week and it was really interfering with my “new bike” photos!!!!

johndoh
    Free Member

Weed barrier over the veg patch.

seaurchin01
    Free Member

Water pistol. I’ve stuck lots of halved wooden kebab skewers into a large pot I have that was being used by next doors cats. That meant they were unable to assume the position without jagging their bum. Worked a treat.

CountZero

Well, it could be considered ‘humane’, a .50cal high velocity shell would be a very quick and painless answer to the problem… 😈

Gowrie
    Free Member

1)-If its a single piece of earth, get some netting – it can be quite open mesh, and peg it about 1-2 inches above the surface. The cats will hate walking on it – they’ll stop going there, essentially.
    2)-Ultrasonic movement triggered cat scarers work and are humane.
    3)-Get a dog

You can talk to your neighbour, but he doesn’t have to do anything. As I understand it cats are legally regarded as being not under the control of their owners – the owner isn’t responsible for any damage a cat does.

Colin

zokes
    Free Member

the owner isn’t responsible for any damage a cat does.

So they won’t care if you do any damage to the cat. Great 😈

Gowrie
    Free Member

So they won’t care if you do any damage to the cat. Great

I don’t think so. There’s an asymmetry about this legal status. The owner isn’t responsible for anything the cat does. But the cat is still protected in two ways. Its the property of the owner, who has the same property rights as they would over any other chattel, and its protected by the animal cruelty regulations.

I think they would care. They actually now have a legal responsibility to care after the last set animal welfare legislation.

Colin

wafty
    Free Member

“Ultrasonic movement triggered cat scarers work and are humane.”

Vouch for the above got 2 in the back garden work well around £30 a throw though! I would recommend the power adaptors as batteries don’t last long

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘"Humane" Cat Deterrent’ is closed to new replies.