• This topic has 62 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Hully Gully – destroyed
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

What an absolute mess…

What’s the craic with it? Rode it today and personally the section should be closed, until it’s been repaired with some proper drainage or just closed.

Full credit to the trail builders for the trail as a whole but just close Hully Gully.

Simon

What’s happened to it?

carlosg
    Free Member

I read that the lower section by the ruin got all washed away.

neninja
    Free Member

This winter seems to have been especially hard on some trails. A mate said parts of the new trails at Hamsterley are a real mess after the snow, ice and the decision to put on Enduro events on them at this time of year.

Simon

I rode Gisburn at Xmas and Hully Gully seemed OK (except at the end near the ruin) so it’s deteriorated fast.

martinhutch

I thought they’d repaired the whole section at the bottom corner recently – has it gone again?

I’ve avoided it for a while now as it seemed to be very damage prone in bad weather conditions.

vickypea
    Free Member

I rode it several weeks ago, but it was all frozen up so we probably didn’t notice it.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Was also up there today and hully gully was certainly erm, sketchy. The bottom section near the ruined buildings was repaired after it being washed away a month ago. As said by nenija above weather has wreaked havoc on a lot of trails this winter. In the past month or so Gisburn has had a lot of snow and ice which doesn’t bode well for the trails. In fact the hope line will be closed for three weeks as of tomorrow for essential repairs.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Vickypea – i imagine if it was frozen it was probably ok.

Today it was a mixture of repeated braking bumps and claggy mud.

Ps the new ‘swoops’ section is a lovely addition. 🙂

MartynS

Rode there today, hully gully was a slimy mess. If nothing’s done its going to get really horrid.
    As an aside whoever thinks its a good idea to throw knackered inner tubes into the trees, well you’re morons. There were 9 at the bottom of hully gully. Just not on….

postierich
    Free Member

Manmade trails in notsmoothshocker so what if its a slimy mess and it has braking bumps I doubt you were riding a 80,s fully rigid setup!
    Pretty sure the Gisburn guys/gals would welcome help @ their dig/repair days

http://www.gisburnbiketrails.com/

MartynS

I’m no fan of man made stuff.. As a change its ok but it’s not my weekly ride.
    I think if you go to a trail centre there is an expectation on what you might get, indeed they are kind of know for being weatherproof to some degree. All the work to build something that flows like HG is being undone.
    To be honest I wasn’t that keen on the route as a whole. I sure there are people who think its the best thing ever though.
    You’re still an idiot if you throw dead inner tubes into the trees though.

Mugboo

Vicious circle innit? The worse the conditions, the more people will head for Gisburn. Hully Gully is a nice idea but clearly cut out of unsuitable material and due to the steep sides you haven’t a hope in hell of sticking hardcore on it 🙁

The volunteer sections are the real stand out bits at Gisburn so big up to the volunteers 🙂

Trekster

Been once and thought it was poorly executed and done on the cheap as did the guy I met and rode with. Poorly constructed and likely to erode badly and become unrideable very quickly was our thoughts. There were already too many alternative, off trail tracks due to erosion, poorly constructed features. Trail creep was ridiculous 🙄

aazlad
    Free Member

Totally agree that the volunteers sections are the best at Gisburn. Homebaked is a peach!

wallycobbles
    Free Member

Wow, that was a positive comment.

I’ve been going, on and off for years now and admittedly, it’s the worst I’ve ever seen it but we are just coming off the back of the wettest summer in living memory and a winter not much better.

Poorly executed it is not.

patriotpro
    Free Member

MartynS – It’s funny yo mention the inner-tube thing, we noticed there was a load of litter about…Mind you we saw three lads who had stopped to smoke Cannibis-cigarette which gives us some insight on the kind of people who ride at Gisburn.

I mean, a joint on a bike-ride?!!? 😯 WTF.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Yeah good call, Home-Baked is brill, the best section there in fact.

philfive
    Free Member

I’m local and ride gisburn quiet a lot but I always avoid hully gully during winter as it cuts up bad.

philfive
    Free Member

Trekster…… Trail creep? The trail is where it was when it first opened. The issue with hully gully is the drainage.

scaled
    Free Member

I mean, a joint on a bike-ride?!!? WTF.

Oh get over yourself

robgclarkson
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member
    MartynS – It’s funny yo mention the inner-tube thing, we noticed there was a load of litter about…Mind you we saw three lads who had stopped to smoke Cannibis-cigarette which gives us some insight on the kind of people who ride at Gisburn.

yes, that really encapsulates everyone who rides at gisburn… well done… i find that sweeping generalisations are usually the best way forward

eightyeight
    Free Member

I would definitely disagree that Gisburn is poorly executed! I think it’s a fantastic trail centre.

Regarding discarded inner tubes, I was fixing a pinch at the bottom of hully gully on Sat and noticed a lot of thrown away tubes – real shame.

Big props to all the volunteers up there.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Robgclarkson, you may have the ability to use quote function but what you clearly lack is the ability to read and understand a comment.

For clarification to anyone else, NOT YOU, I wasn’t generalising.

Now drop the hissy-fit cos no-one cares.

patriotpro
    Free Member

What am I supposed to be getting over?

Riksbar

Disgraceful! I’m sure when Repack Rider and the others started riding in Marin county all those years ago none of them would dream that it would come to such a thing!

I agree about the inner tubes. The bike equivalent of dog poo bags on trees.

grum
    Free Member

I’m not a huge fan of gisburn overall and it does seem to get knackered more easily than other centres, but I think they’ve made decent use of limited terrain. And the volunteer built bits are by far the best.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I agree about the inner tubes. The bike equivalent of dog poo bags on trees.

Why? Do inner tubes carry diseases that cause blindness in children?

yunki
    Free Member

we saw three lads who had stopped to smoke Cannibis-cigarette which gives us some insight on the kind of people who ride at Gisburn.

Pot smoking demons by the sounds of it.. One of Robin Hood’s enemies, Sir Guy of Gisburn (sic) was a bit of a bellend too (Of manye a man the bane according to wiki).. it sounds like a rather shabby neck of the woods all around..
    After reading this thread, I’ll be sending my kids there when they are naughty..

yunki
    Free Member

Pot smoking demons on powerful recumbent motorcycles no less..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As said above, a victim of it’s own success.

Trekster…… Trail creep? The trail is where it was when it first opened. The issue with hully gully is the drainage.

He’s talking about the whole trail in general and I think he means people cutting corners and/or riding off the trail, which causes organic material to be dragged onto the trail and the original trail eventually gets lost in a sea of tracks. It’s a big issue, especially on technical lines, trail builders (volunteer or commercial) try to make interesting twisty lines, but your average numpty just straightlines them dragging organic material onto the trail.

The issues with Hully Gully are many and varied IMO. In theory, bench cutting trail into a hillside should be straightforward re drainage.

james
    Free Member

“whoever thinks its a good idea to throw knackered inner tubes into the trees, well you’re morons. There were 9 at the bottom of hully gully”
    Not been since autumn so can’t remmeber every turn, but where on Hully Gully is there to puncture?

stumpyjon

As said above the very nature of Hully Gully means it’s almost impossible to armour it like the rest of the trail. Ideally it should be shut during the winter but that doesn’t work, people ignore signs and climb over barriers. The volunteers are in the process of repairs at the moment. So far the bog in the middle of homebaked and the very start have been drained and resurfaced, top of circle has had additional drainage and the bottom of Hully Gully has been sorted. We’re on the next section of Homebaked this weekend and intend to work through all the volunteer built sections over the next couple of months. The FC team have also done a lot of work on Bottoms and up at Whelpstone. This last 18 months has been horrendous for the trails, the ground is totally saturated, couple that with numpties riding around the features and you get trail erosion. As builders we’re getting more experienced all the time, better at spotting where drainage is needed and in trail line design.

godzilla
    Free Member

That Thomson bong made me lol, is it the new layback?

martinhutch

Jon – Which day this weekend are you working on homebaked? Might be tempted to join you, but can’t see anything on FB. Are you closing it, or will it be a case of dodging the punters?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Dope-smokers on the trails, it’s the equivalent of the lads you see at the park in the summer who play football with a can of special brew in hand thinking their jonny ten-men.

traildog
    Free Member

I think this thread gives us some insight into the kind of people that ride trail centers. They type that moan about lack of ‘flow’, and bits of follage in the trail.

I love Gisburn, there is plenty of fun to be had there and it’s a good center for meeting other riders. It’s in a really beautiful part of the country and I enjoy my odd visit there.

I just wish people would not smoke on the trail and leave the pot till they get back to their big warm 4x4s. Standards should be kept up.

bland

9 free tubes you say, almost worth a trip!

andyrobin
    Free Member

to all the hater’s there’s only one thing you can do and that is stop your moaning and go give them a hand to sort it. As a trail builder myself I am one of the lads building Cock Hill i know how much work is put into it. you moan about stuff not been good to ride but when you get to something good to ride you go off track to miss it to join back on. SO HOW CAN YOU MOAN! people sort it! without the trail builders you would have nothing.

grum
    Free Member

Dope-smokers on the trails, it’s the equivalent of the lads you see at the park in the summer who play football with a can of special brew in hand thinking their jonny ten-men.

I’ve smoked a spiff part way round a trail. Wasn’t my idea but a mate who doesn’t bike often produced it and I thought sod it why not. Was quite fun – maybe you should try it.

And I’m probably the most middle class person in the world. Or was that the ‘sort’ that you don’t want to see on the trails? 🙂

Unless they are harming others, why be so judgemental?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Hully Gully – destroyed’ is closed to new replies.