Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hugh's war on waste
  • lerk
    Free Member

So who is the mystery STWer eggspert from Prestwich???

scholarsgate
    Free Member

hmmm….

maxtorque

I don’t get it. A factory that processes carrots chucks out cosmetically poor carrots, even though they also make diced /sliced carrots for tinning etc? Er, don’t you just use the broken, funny shaped ones for the products which don’t require whole carrots?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It pisses me off! Pleased I’ve just landed a job with Waste Management in the prison service. Hope I can make some difference. (it will be a titchy weeny one if I do, but it might help)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It pisses me off! Pleased I’ve just landed a job with Waste Management in the prison service. Hope I can make some difference. (it will be a titchy weeny one if I do, but it might help)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Whoaahhh, there’s a ghost in my house! (not the bike make)

Kryton57

i was quite shocked by that. 7 tons of clothing every 10 minutes, and all those carrots. Ive seen the supermarket bin raidinbg before

fwiw i thonk some legilslation should be passed to get this wasted food to people who need it

robdob
    Free Member

I was chatting about this in work yesterday – that’s one side of the story. My wife has seen the other side – she works for a large retailer that does food and clothing and they have a lot of waste food (can’t sell anything past the use by date, etc but that’s a another argument) and their store tried to give away food they had as surplus but no local charities would take it. It wasn’t good news for the retailer as they have to hire skips and pay for it to be disposed of.

Rich_s

esselgruntfuttock – Member 

POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    esselgruntfuttock – Member 

POSTED 10 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

A great start to your new career minimising resource use 😉

wilburt
    Free Member

I find the clothing issue worse.

Food production is an efficiency problem for the manufactures and suppliers could be fixed with a bit of logic. The clothing ovesupply reflects the pointless hamsterwheel that is life for a lot of people.

Personally I like to ring the last bit of use out if everything, clothes, tyres, chains, shoes, carpets anything, of course this could be my northern/scottish heritage!

jamj1974

there’s a ghost in my house

The ghost of her memory? The ghost of the life she took from you?

pete68
    Free Member

Back to the OPS question. I assume everyone recognised him on here? Not his first TV appearance.

Kryton57

Is it lerk or esselgruntfuttock, I’m confused?

Yak

aha- our resident TV endurance racer and now egg expert! Nice one.

pete68
    Free Member

For those that don’t recognise him, that’s Terrahawk/Jason Miles. Has a cycling sidekick called Guy.

edhornby

The clothes are an interesting one, the stuff that charity shops don’t resell in the UK go en masse to Ghana

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/…/the-secret-life-of-your-clothes

they call the clothes ‘obroni wawu’ which is a ghanaian phrase for ‘dead white mans clothing’ 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

Nice t shirt, huh?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great programme and something close to my heart not least since my daughter setup and ran one of the charity branches which uses supermarket food to cook meals for those who need them. My wife is even more careful than I am and she has stopped me buying whole bags of carrots for example when we only need a few so we buy lose. She puts it down to how she was “educated” at home, partly this is a result of the French practice of going to the market every day and buying just what you need rather than a mahoosive supermarket shop of stuff you don’t. We also generally ignore sell by/use by dates for stuff in the cupboard and go on how the food looks/smells.

The supermarkets really are the villans here with very one sided contracts which allow them to set ridiculous cosmetic standards and cancel orders at the very last minute with no penalty.

I sincerely hope this makes a difference.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Loved the off Strawberries and cutting them up and dumping 1/3 bag of sugar on them. Wifes a dental nurse and went mental at that !. Why not just eat them then ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thrusty – not sure what was going on with the sugar, we think the lemon juice would be enough to preserve them

project
    Free Member

I used to work for a charity that collected waste sandwiches, fromn a weell known and heeled chemists, we used to get about 3 or 4 bin bags per day from them.

and Tesco instead of selling cakes and stuff cheap dumps loads of it and just sells a few bits off cheap, because if they sold it all off cheap nobody would pay the full price and just wait till 7.00pm and pick it up at reduced prices so said the staff member binning most of it.

Bunnyhop

Nice to spot terrahawk and family in the last 2 episodes. Love his t shirt.

I’ve noticed more local retailers popping up that sell fresh produce. In New Mills they now have 2 greengrocers both set up in the last 6 years, also a fresh veg/fruit stall. My friend that lives there says she only buys her fruit and veg from the independent grocers because the fruit and veg in the small Sainsbury’s is dire.

We have a rule in our household, an item of clothing in means one out (charity shop). All my nephew’s clothes come from a wealthy friend who is a shopoholic.

I just hope that this programme gets out to the people that need to see it and change their ways.

mrchrispy

pretty interesting and I’d like to think i’d pretty good and using stuff. the wife on the other had seems to think that there is something that makes food go off the second it past its date….she’ll be happy to have something on a Tuesday but come Wednesday she wont touch it.

I was sitting with a big sloppy grin when Hugh is going on about this and she was trying her hardest to ignore me 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

I’d have some of those clothes – i am still wearing clothes i bought when i was 13, 20+ years ago. I’m a bit gutted actually as my ‘lucky socks’ I’ve had since about then are finally looking worse for wear and I accidentally tore off the elasticated bit.

I’ve managed to persuade my wife to buy fewer better clothes that last more than a year, she used to be a massive I’ll get this at primark for the summer’ shopper.

Random observation, all my expensive jeans have lasted 3-4 years at best, my ones from Gap last decades.

jambalaya
    Free Member

and Tesco instead of selling cakes and stuff cheap dumps loads of it and just sells a few bits off cheap, because if they sold it all off cheap nobody would pay the full price and just wait till 7.00pm and pick it up at reduced prices so said the staff member binning most of it.

@project
    I too think this, the supermarkets do not want to sell it very cheap at the end if the day as they know it will hurt full price sales. It’s like the “trial” Morrisons did on the programme last night, surprise surprise if you label courgettes class 1 and class 2 and out them side by side at the same price people will the class 1

Another me of my hobby horses is VAT on food which they have in most of Europe. If Hugh’s stats are right we throw away 15% of our food but it would outrageous / regressive / political suicide to put 10% VAT on food. We could as a country save 10-15% on our food bill by just buying less and not throwing it away but we don’t bother. We’d rather lay too much to the supermarket than a lesser amount to the taxman to pay for services / welfare etc

The clothes are an interesting one, the stuff that charity shops don’t resell in the UK go en masse to Ghana

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/…/the-secret-life-of-your-clothes

they call the clothes ‘obroni wawu’ which is a ghanaian phrase for ‘dead white mans clothing’

There was something on the box about that. The gist was that it all seems very laudable from here, but there were a lot of Ghanaians complining that it had trashed their home textile industy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hugh's war on waste’ is closed to new replies.