Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hugh Porter
  • Bunnyhop

As much as I Like him, he’s not quite Ned Boulting.

Just mentioned the pencil museum in Cockermouth, unless its moved, it has always been in Keswick. 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah, he kind of does my head in talking nonsense!

slowoldman

Yes I was pleased we didn’t have him blathering on about Trotty in the Olympics this year.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matthew_h
    Free Member

He’s bloody awful and only made worse by that annoying twunt Brian Smith. Worst commentating combo there is.

stevious

He’s bloody awful and only made worse by that annoying twunt Brian Smith. Worst commentating combo there is.

You say that, but the combo of Carlton Kirby and Matt Stephens on some races on Eurosport is dire. They’re ok with other commentators but together it all gets a bit Test Match Special.

Spin
    Free Member

Useless old duffer. Should have been put out to pasture years ago.

DrJ

Maybe, but he was a champion when cycling wasn’t cool, so I’m inclined to cut him some slack.

scaredypants

is it him who says “RIGHT !” a lot ?

crazy-legs

Maybe, but he was a champion when cycling wasn’t cool, so I’m inclined to cut him some slack.

The slight problem being that his knowledge of cycling ended about 10 years after that. So his “commentary” now consists of nuggets like ‘he’s such a strong rider’ and ‘look at the pace!’

Great, thanks Hugh. Anything useful to say?

He’s useless, should have been retired years ago.

chakaping
    Free Member

Watching the highlights now, so much shite being spouted.

colournoise

Much as he might be a bit of a bumbler, Hugh’s not THAT bad in a loveable old duffer way. We’ve just been spoiled recently with the Boulting/Millar combo, who I think are excellent.

chakaping
    Free Member

I guess there just aren’t that many options if the other commentators are on contract with Eurosport?

Shame as I have to try to enjoy the race in spite of the commentary.

It’s that smarmy presenter who really boils my piss though.

simmy
    Free Member

Watching the highlights now and I’ve not much knowledge of tactics etc so I can’t comment on that, but coming into Kendal, Hugh said 3 times ” the sharp left hander is coming up…..” Which was actually a right hander.

Same finish as 3 years ago. He can’t be doing that much to forget which way the course goes.

Cammer
    Free Member

Anybody watched any of the coverage on Bike channel? Not seen it myself but OJ Borg and Rob Hayles commentary should be a better option!

The Tour of Britain is on BIKE everyday from the 4th-11th of September with OJ Borg & Rob Hayles. Tune in to Sky 464, Virgin 552 & Freesat 251.

crazy-legs

Watching the highlights now and I’ve not much knowledge of tactics etc so I can’t comment on that, but coming into Kendal, Hugh said 3 times ” the sharp left hander is coming up…..” Which was actually a right hander.

Same finish as 3 years ago. He can’t be doing that much to forget which way the course goes.

They came into it from the other side so back then it was a left hander. However it shouldn’t have been too much work to realise that from the course maps and adjust accordingly. I spotted the error too although it helps that I used to work in Kendal and know all the roads round there!

But you’re right, it’s minor little errors like that along with the fact he’s very rarely actually TELLING you anything – he simply saying what he sees on the screen.

and an attack goes from a [team] rider, it looks like [name], he’s such a strong rider as he dances on the pedals through the mist

Great, thanks for that, I can see the rider, I can see the team colours and what the weather is like, I guessed he’s strong because he’s riding in the **** Tour of Britain. Not exactly your local 4th cat crit this so please tell me WHY he’s attacking, who is he working for, what is the tactic here, what’s coming up and, just possibly, a little bit of info about past events that rider has won or any other info about him that is not simply “he’s xx years of age”. 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

“when he went he really lit the burners and he was like a runaway train”

“That was a monumental display of sensational power”

tang
    Free Member

Rob Hatch is my favourite. Hugh, time to hang up the microphone.

donald
    Free Member

He’s just claimed that the high winds are causing the satellite to move 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

its a particularly windy vacuum then

mrblobby
    Free Member

Solar winds 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hugh Porter’ is closed to new replies.