• This topic has 43 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Huge theft of Data from Yahoo reported on bbc news
  • Gravy
    Free Member

Details of huge theft of data from Yahoo ?

jam-bo

I don’t think anyone here did it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you after something specific, whats their user id 😉

tthew

1 billion accounts? I reckon they’re just trying to big themselves up somewhat. That’s about 13% of the worlds population.

frankconway

It’s in addition to the mega breach they disclosed in September!
    And this one goes back to 2013??? It’s now nearly 2017 – wtf are they doing?
    The way forward is quill pens and parchment or, for speed, I give you the carrier pigeon.

AndyRT
    Free Member

So they are telling people now? 4 years late?Bye bye yahoo, I see no future for your business…I suspect a huge customer drain is about to begin.

votchy
    Free Member

isn’t yahoo the company everyone uses to register on ‘special interest’ sites so no real personal data on there to worry about? No-one actually uses yahoo as a serious provider shirley?

phiiiiil

I bet there are loads of people with “dormant” yahoo accounts, and more with accounts on services which share logins like flickr, tumblr or whatever else yahoo owns.

beej

SO if you’ve changed password since 2013, not an issue?

cp

Interestingly I was forced to change my password last night. The ‘do it later’ option wasn’t there like it normally is.

Tbh I’ve been thinking of changing main email provider for a while as their web interface is crap.

cp

Also interesting is that the previous password is still working on my phone.

Yahoo obviously have some ‘issues’.

martinhutch

Wow – didn’t realise anyone still used them.

Kamakazie

Anyone with a flickr account was forced to sign up to Yahoo a while ago.
    I got an email, but I don’t think I had an account when they claim the breach was.

As for the delay, they only know about it because they were passed on details by US security services which checked out against their accounts. Still can’t trace it apparently which is even more concerning!

bikebouy
    Free Member

And some bunch of idiots are mooted to pay £4bn for Yahoo..

Horsecrap, it’s worthless.

stumpy01

martinhutch – Member

Depends how long you’ve been interneting, I suppose??

I signed up to Yahoo in 2000 when they were one of the ‘go to’ free e-mail options.
    I set mine up when I graduated from uni & have kept it ever since. It’s THE address that tons of people have & know to use.

Yeah, it gets a lot of spam, but most of it gets filtered out.
    Can’t see me ever getting rid of it, although Yahoo is a bit crap.

cp

I signed up to Yahoo in 2000 when they were one of the ‘go to’ free e-mail options.
    I set mine up when I graduated from uni & have kept it ever since. It’s THE address that tons of people have & know to use.

Can’t see me ever getting rid of it, although Yahoo is a bit crap

+1

!!

cp

And some bunch of idiots are mooted to pay £4bn for Yahoo..

Horsecrap, it’s worthless.

It’s far more ‘known’ and ‘used’ globally than its reputation as a ‘yahoo’ brand in the UK.

Don’t forget they also own flickr – how many people in the UK use that…? Under other branding, particularly in the UK they are big. As Yahoo globally they are huge.

jam-bo

for those saying so what. be careful. I got stung a couple of months back from the last.fm hack as I’d subsequently reused an old password.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chinese-imessage-hack

moral of the day, turn on two-factor authentication on everything that offers it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well Sky use the back end, hardly a recommendation…

ads678

I’ve also had a yahoo email for evaaaar, since 1998 when I went travelling and it’s been my main email address ever since. I have a gmail account but don’t use it as it’s just a forced account so I can use stuff on my phone. and I actually prefer the yahoo email interface. I think Gmail is crap.

I don’t use Yahoo for anything else though.

mudshark
    Free Member

I think Gmail is crap.

Go on then.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

All your base are belong to us!

retro83
    Free Member

If the rumour they were using unsalted MD5 as the password hash is true, then weak passwords can be revealed without much effort. Poor practice on their part.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Can’t see me ever getting rid of it, although Yahoo is a bit crap

This, my personal e-mail is Rocketmail of all things, had it forever – late 90’s perhaps, it was merged into Yahoo years ago, it’s the account I use for all my online shopping, Paypal, social media, Youtube and my personal Microsoft Live stuff.

I’ve had 2 ‘hacking’ issues since 2013, nothing that didn’t need a few swear words and some new passwords to fix, but at least now I have a good idea why.

ads678

Go on then.

Go on then what? I think it’s crap, probably because i’ve used yahoo since 1998 and i’m not up on my techy shit, I don’t use FB or Twitter or insta, or any of the other stuff the kids use. But i don’t get on with Gmail, my opinion, lots of people seem to like it, their opinion. Does someone have to be right? 🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member

You’re late to the party, the cool kids are now asking “Wow, Facebook, does anyone still use that?”

Can’t see me ever getting rid of it, although Yahoo is a bit crap.

+1

It works, the web interface can be a bit “Lings car rental”, but the App works well. Only gripe is the sent items don’t sync between my phone and PC.

Changing e-mail addresses after 15+ years would be one heck of a ball-ache.

spawnofyorkshire

I hadn’t logged into my flickr account in two years and thankfully it’s not a password i used on other more important things. Account deleted, bye bye Yahoo (In many ways)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for donkeys too.

Have to see if I’ve spammed my rather large/old contact list.

Probably a good excuse to clear the contact list out too.

spawnofyorkshire

Changing e-mail addresses after 15+ years would be one heck of a ball-ache

I’ve done that recently when i left Sky and ten years of a sky email address.
    Despite putting an out of office on people still send stuff to the wrong address and don’t bother updating contact lists. It’s a massive PITA

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Actually thinking about it, if anyone wants to e-mail me they use my works one.

99.9% of my yahoo account is probably spam from websites or at best computer generated alerts (job sites, etc).

That and “thisisnotaspoon” was the result of a fruitless attempt to find an e-mail address that was memorable and hadn’t already been taken on Yahoo, yes, even “thisisaspoon” had already been taken!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

my partner is a digital media professional…

…and still uses it… 😯

hope this persuades her

crazy-legs

Same here, had an account since 2000 when I did a year in industry placement and needed an email address other than my uni one (which I couldn’t access) and my temporary work one.

Rarely use it now, the only time my Flickr account ever sees any use is when I need to uplaod some pictures for usage on the Classifieds.

matt_outandabout

mudshark
    Free Member

Go on then what? I think it’s crap, probably because i’ve used yahoo since 1998 and i’m not up on my techy shit, I don’t use FB or Twitter or insta, or any of the other stuff the kids use. But i don’t get on with Gmail, my opinion, lots of people seem to like it, their opinion. Does someone have to be right?

So are you saying you think it’s crap because you don’t understand it?

ads678

mudshark – Whats to understand? It sends and receives emails. I’ve only ever used Yahoo and outlook for emails. I’m used to their platforms, when you’re used to something you can sometimes see something new and not like it.

Why do you seem to have a problem with me thinking it’s crap? Do you work for Google?

I don’t like ham and pineapple pizza either, does that bother you as well?

mudshark
    Free Member

Saying something is crap with no reason isn’t very helpful really. I now see that you think it’s crap as it’s not what you’re used to, I wondered if you had something useful to say, my mistake.

ads678

I apologise, I didn’t realise people reading the thread would be looking for advice on which email site to use following the impending downfall of Yahoo. Maybe I should have said ‘I don’t like Gmail’ rather than saying I think Gmail is crap.

Sorry for not being of any help to you in you quest for superior email usage, hope you get proper advice from others more qualified on the subject…..

🙄

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

ads, are you always so reluctant to engage in a conversation? You made the blunt statement that Gmail is crap and were asked to expand on why-it read to me like someone was interested in your opinion and what had formed it. Getting defensive was a strange reaction.

My original email from ~1997 was Hotmail, I lost it when it got hacked and taken over by a spambot and Hotmail shut it down, and yes it was a real ball ache updating everywhere with my new address and I’m sure there are still people and businesses I’ve missed…

Nico
    Free Member

I apologise, I didn’t realise people reading the thread would be looking for advice on which email site to use following the impending downfall of Yahoo.

This is exactly what I would like. Now I know that there is a strong STW element of the “an M3 BMW isn’t really a sporty car” persuasion, but having had a couple of minor issues with Yahoo (used it since 2000) and realising it attracts spammers and hackers, I’d like to adopt something confidence inspiring. Could this be Google or is it just more of the same? Perhaps something more esoteric?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Huge theft of Data from Yahoo reported on bbc news’ is closed to new replies.