Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Huge plane over Midlands on Sunday evening
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

About 7.30pm, heading south down the M6 sort of Walsall area, massive white plane making a turn to the east. Anyone know what it might have been?

Pook

Baby robin

airtragic
    Free Member

Probably the beluga out of hawarden. Airbus use it to fly parts around, it’s an airliner with a really fat unpressurised fuselage.

prawny

I think the Cosford Air show was on at the weekend there were loads of planes flying around. Thought the first I saw was an air liner going down.

scotroutes

That’s Airbus flitting prior to Brexit.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

STW top brass flying into Cannock airport to film their latest shredit.

mrmo
    Free Member

I think the Cosford Air show was on at the weekend there were loads of planes flying around. Thought the first I saw was an air liner going down.

Couple of B52s and B2Bs operating out of Fairford at the moment, SO was woken at 4:30ish by one going over head. Apparently some NATO exercises

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Fairly sure it wasn’t the Beluga, and I’m going to go ahead and rule out a baby robin. Something to do with Cosford seems like a good shout. Would’ve been a bit late for flypasts I suppose but maybe a B52.

nevisthecat
    Free Member

Cosford air show.

There was a B1, B52 and a B17 amongest other stuff.

It could also have been the Beluga. Probably rerouted due to said air show.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

An Antinov 124 operates out of East Midlands airport quite frequently. Not sure if its scheduled or not but i’ve seen it loads of times over the years, so could be one of those.

The Beluga is an odd looking airplane, but not actually that big in terms of length and wingspan so it depends on how you define ‘Huge’. It’s based on an Airbus A300-600 so a large twin isle passenger jet, so not a huge plane. Anyway I thought the airbus wings were shipped out of the UK by barge and not routinely flown by Beluga?

If it was white then that rules out anything military.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Antonov AN-225 is a reasonably common visitor over this way.

nickhit3
    Free Member

If it was white then that rules out anything military.

Would the UN not have roles that may depart from military air bases for the purposes of aid flights etc? They do operate the larger Antanov’s as previously mentioned- most of their fixed wing and rotary fleet is almost all white across the world.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I think the Beliga flies out all Airbus wings except those for the 380, they’re too big to fit in.
    They’re barged from the factory at Hawrden to Mostyn docks, where they’re loaded onto a bigger ship.

JAG

Emirates are operating the A380 out of Birmingham Airport these days 8)

tthew

I think the Beliga flies out all Airbus wings except those for the 380, they’re too big to fit in.
    They’re barged from the factory at Hawrden to Mostyn docks, where they’re loaded onto a bigger ship.

Correct. I see it going past my work window with reasonable regularity, (though less frequent than a couple of years ago) but it’s nowhere near as exciting as getting flown over by the Beluga on my way home down the Connah’s Quay to Chester cycleway.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There was a massive hybrid airship / plane being tested in the last few days, could it be that?

stevied
    Free Member

Couple of B52s and B2Bs operating out of Fairford at the moment, SO was woken at 4:30ish by one going over head. Apparently some NATO exercises

Saw those on Sunday am whilst staying at the Water Park near Fairford. Great big things those B52’s 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you want to know what it was you either need to sketch it, annotate the sketch and upload it for us to look at, or, maybe check out a silhouette chart for an ID.

somouk
    Free Member

19:30 Cosford airshow was over and it couldn’t have landed at Cosford as the runway is too short.

I would say it’s probably either an A380 leaving/returning to brum or the big un from the airbus factory but would have expected that to be high by then.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Huge plane over Midlands on Sunday evening’ is closed to new replies.