Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Huge mistake
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

Made the mistake of having a go on a mate’s Yeti 575 at the weekend. I couldn’t believe how lovely and stiff and lively it felt, downhill and up.

Can anyone think of a good reason for me not to immediately retire my creaking old Enduro and get the credit card out?

And would anyone raise an eyebrow if I put my 145-165mm adjustable fork on the front of the Yeti?

wwaswas

1.65 metres is probably a bit too much travel for a Yeti 575?

[edit] beaten by your edit!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes try an Orange 5 and be totally blown away 8)

soobalias
    Free Member

my mates ellesworth moment has a very similar effect on any test riders and that has 36 Talas up front…

16stonepig
    Free Member

1.65 metres is probably a bit too much travel for a Yeti 575?

Edited out but yes, 1.655m would be a touch slack…

GHill

Would the SB-66 not be a better choice for that much fork?

16stonepig
    Free Member

yes try an Orange 5 and be totally blown away

Now now, this was supposed to be a serious topic…

16stonepig
    Free Member

I think it depends what I want out of the bike. I can’t see the SB-66 being quite as sprightly. Or available in a shop 2 miles away from my house at this moment.

GHill

Good point.

roblane65
    Free Member

GO BUY ONE NOW,QUICK BEFORE THEY SHUT AND YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND. 😉

hels
    Free Member

Or, for the cheapskates – get your own bike serviced properly ??

Rickos
    Free Member

Wait a bit and the prices will drop once the SB-66 is more readily available.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Or, for the cheapskates – get your own bike serviced properly ??

Not that I need to justify anything, but the old bike has been well WELL loved. The headtube is a bit oval shaped, as are some of the bearing housings, the downtube is covered in dents, there are scuffed/worn patches of metal covered in electrical tape. In short, it’s in precisely the state a properly-used bike should be. 😛

glenh
    Free Member

patches of metal covered in electrical tape

Is that a structural repair? 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

what rickos said, except then wait a bit more till the SB66 is cheaper too, then get that.

takisawa2

No. Get a Ventana instead.
    And a tweed cape & deerstalker to complete your transformation into a gentlemen of standing.

daznal
    Free Member

Buy one if you want to experience what a collapsing rear triangle feels like as you’re hammering down your fave bit of knarly trail(it hurts)

16stonepig
    Free Member

Daznal – what year frame was that? The 2011 is alu chainstays with carbon seatstays, probably for exactly that reason.

daznal
    Free Member

2009 they have a bit of a rep for parting company at the joint between the seatstay and the chainstay

steve_b77
    Free Member

Give it a go, hope it don’t snap on ya

althepal

Mine has been fine so far, late 2009 frame. Not riding as much as I used to but when I do I like hitting stuff..
    Make sure the back brake is faced and fitted properly tho as it yelps like a bitch unless it’s on straight..
    Cracking bike. Replaced my well ridden enduro.. Go for it!

toys19
    Free Member

my mate has a carbon rear triangle jobbie, he flies on it, hounding dh boys all day. I’m waiting for the day when I come round a corner and find the debris from a rear end explosion. But it hasnt happened yet after years of thrashing, he is more gnarr than david taylforth/juan/gw put together..

nicko74

patches of metal covered in electrical tape

Is that a structural repair?
    Nah, cynic-al was having a go at bodging it together…

16stonepig
    Free Member

Done. Awaiting call from bank manager…

Junkyard
    Free Member

but have you demoed the Orange 5 yet 😉

ampthill

Buy it if you can afford for it to last as well as your current bike

I think replacing something that you’ve worn out is a guilt free pleasure (as opposed to buying a new bike because you need a new colour scheme, following a new thrend etc.)

julians
    Free Member

What year enduro have you got?

I’ve got a creaking old enduro (2005 model), and am wondering if now is the time to replace it, it still rides well though, I tried a 2010 enduro and mine felt nearly a good.

16stonepig
    Free Member

My Enduro was an 06. Ridden it all over the place. Trail centres, DH uplift days, up and down Snowdon, 2 x Megavalanche weeks and one Passportes. I will be sad to see it go.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Don’t know if I missed something with the editing going on but .165m surely .

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Huge mistake’ is closed to new replies.