Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Huge Longshot .. Fiat Ducato
  • DavidB
    Free Member

We are supposed to be driving to the Alps tomorrow in our motorhome. But the battery has died. I replaced it today however, the battery warning light is staying on and the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running is 12V. I think it should be higher if the alternator was working.

So, I checked every fuse I can find (engine compartment box) and they all seem ok. If it is the alternator then we are truly fecked. Just hanging on to the slim hope there may be another fuse somewhere that got blown. Anyone know of anything else I can check?

DavidB
    Free Member

ps. apologies for wrong forum

Liftman

If its only showing 12v with the engineer running then I m afraid it’s the altmator, it should be around 14v with the engineer running.

Try turning the lights and heating and anything else electrical on with the engine running to verify its the alternator.

andrewh
    Free Member

Scrappy first thing tomorrow for a spare alternator? Carry it with you and replace if required, if not stick it on fleabay when you get home.
    Are your local scrappys open tomorrow?
    Are you sure voltage shouod be higher? All is well with my (Ford) van and it’s 12.2V. [EDIT] Not with the engine running though…

MarkN
    Free Member

With the engine running you should be seeing a voltage of about 13.6 volts across the battery. AFAIK there are no fuses in the circuit between the alternator and the battery. I do not have a Ducato by the way so I could be wrong but I have never seen any on previous cars. Have you checked the connections on the alternator that they are secure. I assume that the fan belt is still intact and tensioned correctly. Good luck with this but I can’t think of any other quick fixes.

Googled this: http://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/fiat-ducato-alternator-823-c.asp

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Now for the really dumbass question..where is the alternator so I can check voltage across it?

MarkN
    Free Member

You can check the voltage across the battery terminals. No idea where the alternator will be in your wagon, Murphy’s law say it will be a right pain to get at.

nwilko
    Free Member

alternator is directly connected to battery with heavy gauge cable,
    with engine off and nothing turned on, you should have 12v across batt terminals (the engine / starter battery).
    You also need to check the lesiure battery that powers the camper fittings, this should also be 12v.
    With engine running this should rise 13.5>14.2v, get someone to rev the engine ~2500rpm, if you still only see 12v the alternator is potentially suspect.
    But first check the leisure batt… if your Leisure battery was also faulty (<10v) the alternator will be struggling to charge this and you would get a low reading with engine running..
    HTH.

br
    Free Member

If it was still daylight I’d go and look at ours (2005) but its parked across in a muddy paddock, what year is yours?

And tbh I’d expect more than 12v with it running. But it’s a commercial so should be cheap-ish and accessable.

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks all. After a lot of ferreting in the dark there is no doubt that the alternator is dead as is our skiing holiday 🙁

slimraybob
    Free Member

Whip the shagged one off, quick trip to the local motor factors and you should be all sorted by 10am

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good luck starting your car with a 12 volt static battery

12.3 is a low car battery – 12.6 is a static battery with a good charge

DavidB
    Free Member

No ramps, no haynes manual! I think the alternator belt drives the power steering pump as well so it’s not a trivial job

trail_rat
    Free Member

What slimray said

Drop aux belt , take out the wire , undo 2 or 3 bolts

Old ones out

New ones inverse and tension belt correctly unless its sprung

geoffj

DavidB – Member
    No ramps, no haynes manual! I think the alternator belt drives the power steering pump as well so it’s not a trivial job

It’s a ball ache of a job, even on a ramp.
    Mine went on my Ducato when we were on hols in Pembrokeshire 18 months ago.

Your best bet would be to get it to somewhere with a big enough ramp to take it, get them to whip it off and then take it to an auto electricians. Chances are it can be replaced or repaired quite easily.

Factor a couple of hours to take it off and get it back on again. Iirc one of the cross members near the sump makes it a right ball ache to do.

Where are you?

DavidB
    Free Member

Geoffj. We are in Swindon. I reckon the rectifier blew when I jump started it a few weeks back. Like you say, we are going to look into a repair. Aint gonna happen before our ferry tomorrow though.

spooky_b329

What engine size is it? 2.3 and 2.8 are I think Iveco engines, the 2.5 is possibly an Iveco one as well.

Iveco garages are 24hr and they also have service vans running about 24/7 so could be worth giving them a call. You could probably drop it off this evening and collect tomorrow morning!

I replaced the alternator and belt on my 2.3, it is a relatively quick job and doesn’t require much more than a bag of spanners/sockets. No ramps required (on mine at least). The aux belt goes around the water pump, power steering as well as the alternator, I just put a socket on the tensioner to release the tension and the belt just comes off. A tad fiddly getting it back on…

Just trace all the fat cables from the starter battery, there should be negative cables to the body work and engine block, give these both a firm tug to ensure they are securely fixed, if it comes off then you’ve found your problem and the alternator is probably OK. Also check the positive cable from battery to alternator and negative cable from alternator to where ever it terminates.

This is my 2.3, the alternator is just peeking out from behind the left side of the fan. I may have had to move something but I’m sure it just came out the top. The pic is when the rad was replaced so removing the front of the van is definitely not required!

DavidB
    Free Member

Looks like a different engine to mine. My one is a 2.3 diesel and the alternator is behind the drivers side wheel. I can just about reach it after crawling under the engine but access is really hard and I would not be confident. Why did I ever swap my T25. Will look into the garage tip though.

spooky_b329

What year is it?

DavidB
    Free Member

sugdenr
    Free Member

Spookys ducato must be rear wheel drive. DaveB your mhome is front drive so engine is sideways. I changed cambelt on my 2.8 with no ramps, not quick tho. Dont need haynes just google it, all you need is on t’interweb
    Edit – just spotted its cause spookys is an iveco not ducato!

RustyNissanPrairie

Don’t bother -only need the battery to start and keep the fuel solenoid open. Bump start it and don’t use headlamps/electrical stuff/brakes. Take a battery charger/spare battery. Ski trip ahoy.

PePPeR

It isn’t as simple as the older diesels, they have full electronic injection systems and electric fuel pumps pushing the fuel up.

It’s not too bad a job to sort out, just fiddly, I did one on my Renault Master the other week (similar transverse engine) in an hour.

If you’re doing it yourself I reckon the plastic wheel arch liner would come off to give you better access.

My local motor factors had an alternator on the shelf.

DavidB
    Free Member

The hammers and spanners are coming out tomorrow. Too much night driving needed for your plan Rusty

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rustys plan wouldnt work

Is no a 2/300 tdi , not in kansas any more toto .

Tis why iwant a 300tdi disco for a family wagon , if it cant be fixed at the side of the road with spanners , you probably drowned it in water 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Best of luck btw , if you have ratchet spanners they are a godsend as on my van the arch liners hellish to take out and get back in without bustng the lugs

It can be done with normal spannera.i took mine out 1/4 turn lift reset …took for ever lying on my back in the rain with it dripping on my face.

Went out to motorfqctors bought alternator and ratchet spanner in 16 mm and fitted it in 20 minutes .

spooky_b329

Good luck, I know the Iveco engines were shared at one point but not sure about the newer vans. If it is the same engine then a lot of the ancillaries will be different with the engine being spun 90 degrees.

PePPeR

The latest vans share the same engine as the Ford Transit!

Offroading
    Free Member

The latest vans share the same engine as the Ford Transit!

Which is a horrible pathetic engine at best 😀

RustyNissanPrairie

Rustys plan wouldnt work

Is no a 2/300 tdi , not in kansas any more toto .

Tis why iwant a 300tdi disco for a family wagon , if it cant be fixed at the side of the road with spanners , you probably drowned it in water

bugger!

yep, Im a 200tdi Defender owner!!!!! allthough just bought a 311CDI Sprinter as well. Wish me luck!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Huge Longshot .. Fiat Ducato’ is closed to new replies.