Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Huge Hirvonen crash in Finland WRC
  • Pigface
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

I know glad he didnt veer off into the trees with that roll.

markenduro
    Free Member

looks like the left front TCA let go on the landing and started that crash to me, lucky to walk away from that, shows how strong the modern WRC cars are. Shame it's no longer on terrestrial tv.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

That is going to take some t-cut

hora
    Free Member

Remember when Mcrae had his massive off/roll down the hill and he cracked his roll bars!

Waderider
    Free Member

There's a lot worse than that. Lots of rolling instead of one big impact.

Unimpressed frankly.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lots of rolling ………

Unimpressed frankly.

I think that was the point ……. "lots" of rolling.

But yeah, it's a bit disappointing that they walked out alive.

Edric64
    Free Member

So did he finish the stage or not?

Simwit

I'm quite impressed that Malcolm Wilson can have a good laugh about the fact that a million quids worth of car has been totalled!

neilb67
    Free Member

Its a million pound, well insured, year old car. Nice business for Wilson to build another new one…. Motorsport teams love insured accident damage… 😀

Simwit

I wouldn't want to pay the premiums on that, are you sure those cars are insured? I wouldn't have thought anyone would touch them given the very high probability of major damage, surely it just comes out of the program budget?

hora
    Free Member

ernie_lynch he didn't hit anything. Trees are lethal even to rally cars. Its easy for a tree to intrude into the passenger compartment even on the multiple roll/crossbars on the driver/passenger side. Not so long ago a co-driver had his leg broken by such an intrusion. Looking at the footage of-said intrusion I thought he got off lightly with just a broken leg 😯

Pickers

I'm quite impressed that Malcolm Wilson can have a good laugh about the fact that a million quids worth of car has been totalled!

Malcolm's been there as a driver a few times. It rather goes with the territory. I reckon he's just relieved that his no 1 driver has walked away from it completely unhurt.

hora
    Free Member

I imagine it was a laugh out of relief/a nervous laugh.

neilb67
    Free Member

No. all our cars are insured per event. The owner of the car insures it at the event/circuit and our insurance covers it for transit to and from an event. A race team much prefers a "big un" because small little damage will either come out of the drivers season budget or he will pay for it himself. If we go through the insurance then we go to town and replace everything that is damaged or "looks" damaged. I think our Porsche GT3RSR insurance premium was £5000 for BGT's

Waderider
    Free Member

But yeah, it's a bit disappointing that they walked out alive.

I don't know if that's your attitude or you making a presumption about mine.

If it is the latter I can ensure you that having been involved in motorsport and having dealt directly with this death (first on the scene and key witness at the coroners inquest) your presumption is wrong.

Anyhow, I understand this is a light hearted thread. I just couldn't let your comment pass by.

neilb67
    Free Member

Mark Colton, thats a name from the past when I did hillclimbing….

I_Ache
    Free Member

@Neilb67

Are those the Porsches that they used to keep up by the Farmer Johns in Streetly?

Andituk
    Free Member
    atlaz
    Free Member

The one at Brands looked REALLY nasty when I saw the footage. Bounced off the bridge by all accounts.

neilb67
    Free Member

I_Ache, yes mate. I was at Team Eurotech for 6 years opposite Farmer Johns. Then built the Integra for Mike Jordan before I left to do some stuff of my own.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

The cars ok, but the co drivers notes are in a right mess….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Huge Hirvonen crash in Finland WRC’ is closed to new replies.