• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Huddersfield to the peaks?
  • h4muf
    Free Member

Catching a train saturday to Huddersfield with the bike and i’m intending to ride to Chapel on le frith.
    Staying overnight and riding home to Ripley the next day.Is there any decent trails down to the peaks from the train station?
    Never been that way before.

Cheers.

ton

road out to holmfirth, bw through plantation on to tpt. to langsett then over cutgate. round lakeside to by near dam. up and over to hagg farm/rowlee across snake road, up either the beast or roman road
    down to edale road and up edale to chapel gate, climb over to chapel en le frith.

mintimperial

Yep, what ton said is a very good day out in the Dark Peak.

Alternatively a slightly easier option, or if the weather is bad: ride west down the Colne Valley along the Huddersfield Narrow Canal (there’s a couple of gates but everyone just lifts bikes over them), turn left at Marsden (go up Old Mount Road not the A62) and then over towards Uppermill and down onto the Pennine Bridleway. That will take you pretty much all the way to Chapel with minimal road work and no tricky routefinding. The road bit out of Glossop is a bit crappy, but otherwise it should be a pretty good ride, that. It’s not hugely technical stuff, and you can make good progress, although most of the descents are good fun if you hit them fast and the scenery and whatnot is grand.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Ton’s got it from Holmfirth but I’d be inclined to follow the canal out to Marsden then over Wessenden Head heading down the road towards Holmfirth for about a mile, then take the packhorse trail on the right which drops you down to Digley Res and to Holme village, start up Holme Moss, forking left off road to Cartworth moor and down to Dunford Bridge, scoot down the TPT and round to Langsett and then Cut Gate to the Peak. A grand day out. Decent cafe at Langsett with a Polka Dot painted wall.

ton

just decided, i am gonna do this ride but to eyam yha. it is a great place to ride to and also to stay.

good thread OP

h4muf
    Free Member

Great stuff chaps!

Pook

Get on that there keeper of the peak lee for trail conditions. You’ll do cut gate on that route I think

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Huddersfield to the peaks?’ is closed to new replies.