Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Huddersfield road ride- how is this for a scenic quick blast?
  • hora
    Free Member

Tight on time this evening but I was thinking something on the lines of:

Salendine Nook/off Laund rd down to Paddock – Milnsbridge – Along to Lockwood – Climb upto top of Castle Hill – down the back past the Golden Cock – round/down the back to Waterloo- spin towards Town centre then Birkby – up the back (dont know the name of that twisty shortcut road) upto Ainley top past Nags Head then along to Salendine Nook/off Laund rd again.

Do-able in say 2.5hours? A good route?

njee20
    Free Member

Draw it on Google maps. You can comfortably do 20mph you told us, so if it’s less than 50 miles then it’s a goer.

sandwicheater

Do a similar loop but the other way around starting over Mirfield. 2.5 hours no problems.

hora
    Free Member

Mapped it on google maps- its only 20miles- some good climbing though 🙂

TheSanityAssassin

If you want to learn a few decent 2hr loops around the Hudds area, then turn up at Lockwood lights at 6.50pm on a Tues evening and join a Hudds Star Wheelers ride. There’s usually 3 or 4 groups of differing pace, so you can pick the one that suits your ability. Noobs get to ride with the Steady Eddies first up, which is the group that I take. No one gets left behind and we tend to average just either side of 14mph, depending on group composition and/or route. Once you’re comfy riding in an organised ‘train’ and are happy with the shouts and signals, then move up to a group that suits your pace better. We’re a friendly bunch and there’s often 40+ there each week, so a great way to make new riding buddies too. This is an open invitation by the way, and any reasonably fit rider will keep up on their mtb if they want to give it a go before splashing out on a road bike.

hora
    Free Member

Ok, which group rides the best bikes? I’ll need to be in that group please.

(Joke).

Will do next week. 😀

sandwicheater

Think I’ll pop along as well some time soon if you don’t mind. Would be great to learn some new routes. Not new to the area (6 years) but have not done much exploring.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

You can comfortably do 20mph you told us

Do 20mph or average 20mph?

I’ve no doubt that Hora can do 20mph…but I’ll cut off my own genitals with a pair of rusty, blunt garden shears, if he can average it over any length of time!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve no doubt that Hora can do 20mph…but I’ll cut off my own genitals with a pair of rusty, blunt garden shears, if he can average it over any length of time!

You do know he’s ditched the baggies?

MrNice
    Free Member

and it’s more aerodynamic to not wear gloves

hora
    Free Member

On a 50cc scooter or road bike?

hora
    Free Member

Done. My first hills.

What surprised me? Descending. Golden Cock down towards Honley? That long descent was wow. Shit me royally up

tomhoward

From farnley tyas head over to thurstonland, and down thurstonland bank. That’ll teach you about descending. 😉

Scapegoat

Tht route you describe is hardly scenic Mark!

Try Salendine Nook up A640 to Scapegoat Hill via Round Ings Rd, down Slaithwaite Clough and Crimble to Slaithwaite, out on A62 to Marsden, Standedge Cut, down to Denshaw, then back roads to Delph, then pick up the A640 at the pub crossroads, up to Diggle, then Buckstones, then down from Buckstones to Salendine Nook via Outlane. Just under 25 miles and about 2500 feet of climbing. Some awesome climbs, and stonking descents.

hora
    Free Member

Now you tell me!

I like riding round these parts. Forget the Cheshire lanes 8)

Scapegoat

If you’ve got a taste for hills, this one’s about 30 miles. Scapegoat Hill to West Vale via Stainland, then Wakefield Road to Sowerby Bridge. Up Tuel Lane and left onto the Burnley Rd, as far as Mytholmroyd. Left up New Road onto the Cragg vale Climb, then at the top turn left and freewheel all the way to Ripponden on the A58. Choice here to drop back down to Sowerby Bridge then West vale back up to Stainland, and turn right up Marsden gate to head back to Scape via Quebec, or up the infamous Ripponden Bank to Barkisland, then straight on to Buckstones, then down the A640 home.

Another good leg stretcher for hills is Lockwood as Sanity Assasin suggests, up to Meltham via Netherton, and straight on up Wessenden Road to the Greenfield Rd. (a brutal 3km at 8% towards the top) Left from there takes you straight down for a sustained descent to Holmfirth, then back to Lockwood via Honley, or turn right at the Ford Pub and make you way across country lanes to Holmebridge, then left to Holmfirth. 18 miles if you go via Holmebridge. You could stretch it out to 25 if you go from Holmfirth to New Mill, then up to the Sovereign Crossroads at Shepley, then back into Huddersfield on the Penistone/Wkefield Rd to Aspley, then cut across Kings Mill Lane to return to Lockwood avoiding the town centre.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Huddersfield road ride- how is this for a scenic quick blast?’ is closed to new replies.