Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Huckleberry Finn and Removal of the N word…
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What’s that all about then.

redthunder
    Free Member

r u Glumpton ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think it’s because no one in the book came from Nigg

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

redthunder – no I am not Glumpton.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are you Penry, the mild mannered janitor?

Onzadog
    Free Member

So what are they going to call his faithful black lab before it gets run over?

j_me
    Free Member

Bheinn Dhun

My daughter corrected my singing of bah bah black sheep the other day. Apparently her nursery is teaching them bah bah White sheep.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s part of a larger conspiracy to allow forum trolls around the world to have a little sex wee at the thought of all the fun they can have, unfortunately………

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

j_me – this thread already has double the posts of the other one so therefor it becomes thee huck finn thread.

don simon – pelvic floor exercises should help with your incontinence – in the mean time try tena lady.

Probably for exactly the same reason that you felt you had to type the ‘N word’ on here.

I can see why the word **** shouldn’t be used in a general conversation and wouldn’t use it myself, but the fact remains that is is a word that had been used throughout history and hasn’t disappeared from existence. In the correct context, there is no reason that 6 letters making up a word shouldn’t be typed. I hope that my use of the word within this paragraph isn’t cause for offence, as it was in a textual context only.

Whether or not is should be used in a book that was written when the word was socially acceptable (but not necessarily right) is a tricky one. In the context of keeping the text of the book historically accurate, then yes I believe it should, however I can see the argument for removing it, as it’s being used to describe a race of people in a derogatory manner – should this be allowed in current times?

I can see this post causing me some grief, as I’m not sure I’ve explained my point very well, but I’ll endeavour to explain should I need to.

A tricky one.

druidh
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    I think it’s because no one in the book came from Nigg

😆

donsimon
    Free Member

don simon – pelvic floor exercises should help with your incontinence – in the mean time try tena lady.

Are you calling me a troll? Shame on you!

druidh
    Free Member

But Twain used the word because he wanted to highlight the attitudes towards negros. Much the same as the Alf Garnett character. You were laughing at him for his attitudes.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don Simon is In Continent?

Well, he does live in Spain, so I spose it’s technically true.

oldgit
    Free Member

Who has decided this action should be taken?

hels
    Free Member

Well, I think it is silly, I loved Mark Twain when I was a kid and I don’t go around burning crosses. In context it is fine, in fact will likely add to the impact message of the book in contemporary culture.

However the hand wringing in the press is a bit silly and I reckon is just an excuse to use the N word and wind up both conservatives and liberals for extra bonus points. From my reading it is only some editions that will be censored, you can’t put the words back in the box there are millions of copies of the book in circulation. Its not like folk are marching into libraries with petrol or anything.

druidh
    Free Member

yet!!!

They will once it drops below £1.30 a litre…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Slippery slope.

donsimon
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

Who has decided this action should be taken?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12126700

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thin end of the wedge.

Amos
    Free Member

Agree with Druidh, Blazing saddles is another perfect example….

It amuses me that SOME people think that film was/is racist!!!!

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to eat Robinsons jam and some of my best friends are…… Aaaah! Now I see.

BigJohn

The word was shocking then, but is shocking now in a completely different way.

Because it is in the original books it prevents millions of people being allowed to read them. The new edition means they can.

I dislike the use of the phrase “x word”. It immediately places the substituted word in the mind of the reader/listener so what’s the point?

midlifecrashes

Just checked the bookshelf, it’s definitely still there. If I leave my door unlocked will someone come in and redact it?

hels
    Free Member

No, use of that word doesn’t prevent millions from reading the book, censorship does.

This is the classic liberal dilemna, I am against censorship but each case on it’s own merits, I think the world would be better without the works of David Icke (the world is ruled by lizards guy) for example, but defend his right to say it and all that.

Anyway, there is far far worse stuff on t’internet and being shovelled down kids throats by their parents.

mikey74
    Free Member

No, I don’t think we should edit books in this manner: They are historical artifacts, and if we start editing them we are, in a way, editing history itself.

Edit: Why should the presence of the word “****” prevent
    younger children reading the books? Surely this is an opportunity to educate the children as to the social and historical significance of this, and other, such words.

Nothing has ever been solved by sweeping it under the carpet.

Merak

Might as well burn them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do find this interesting and it makes me uncomfortable in my liberalness.

The Dambusters film – Gibsons dog was called ****, the signal the raid was successfull was “****”. This is history and cannot be changed – but it does make me cringe every time I hear it

Mark twains book used the language that was in use at the time. Many other books of the ear did as well. I am not sure the book should be changed – but if it is unacceptable in american schools with “****” in it then maybe

Edric64
    Free Member

burn who?

waynekerr
    Free Member

Apparently Guy Gibsons dog in the remake of The Dambusters, is maybe going to be called Nigsy or Nidge. He called the dog by it’s name 12 times in the original film, we’ll have to wait for the release to see what they decide to do.

Edric64
    Free Member

There are lots of books with reference to **** in them are they all going to be reprinted?

By the way anyone else have a golly as a kid? My mum made mine from a pattern in the 60s

gonefishin
    Free Member

The Dambusters film – Gibsons dog was called ****, the signal the raid was successfull was “****”. This is history and cannot be changed – but it does make me cringe every time I hear it

Well given the other historical inaccuracies in that film and the fact that the name of the dog is utterly irrelevant to the story it really doesn’t raise and ire with me and marks those who complain about it as petty and small minded as those who initiated the change of name. Editing Mark Twain on the other hand is another matter entirely.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Seriously?

noteeth
    Free Member

I wish Samuel Langhorne Clemens was still around to comment.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Seriously.

Would calling your dog **** be acceptable now? It makes me cringe to be reminded of the attitudes that used to be accepted without question

mudpup
    Free Member

I was going to call my cat “Bastard” just for the sheer fun of calling him in every night – i was going through a Father Jack phase at the time.
    Chickened out and called him Beans in the end. Didn’t quite have the same effect.
    Unfortunately he is now toast.

Do you cringe when you listen to Gangsta Rap of an evenings relaxation Teej?

It seems acceptable for a black man to call another brother a ****.

The thing that strikes me as being quite ironic about such offensive words, is that despite the fact they have historically been used in a derogatory manner, thus making them offensive, they are ultimately based on simplistic translations of various forms of language. Negro for example, simply means ‘black’ in some languages and is even derived from a latin word.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Actually thats nigga in the rap, That don’t bother me but “Ho” does 🙂

Its the context that counts. Gibson is a childhood hero of mine – but to here the causal use of the word **** sets my teeth on edge. Acceptable tehn of course in a way it is not now

I don’t say I am right in my reaction to this – but its my honest reaction and I thought it interesting to add to the debate – its about how politically charged words can become

noteeth
    Free Member

Much of the power of Huck Finn derives from the language – and Huck’s dawning realisation that he must save Jim. Retro-fiddling with the text isn’t going to achieve anything useful, certainly not in comparison to what Twain actually achieved as a writer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yawn. This was done the other day and I went to reply but ernie’d got there before me with much the point I wanted to make. So I’ll make it tonight. Mark Twain is one of America’s greatest writers and thus his books should IMO be taught in schools. However, how is a teacher supposed to teach it as a great work of historical fiction to a class of different races AND deal with the rights and wrongs of the word “****” being used. So for this reason, I agree with the censorship for school editions.

For the rest of you purists who are just crazy to read books with the word “****” in there, there are always unedited editions available for your enjoyment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Huckleberry Finn and Removal of the N word…’ is closed to new replies.