Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hubless Bikes?
  • lyons
    Free Member

I cant even see how this would work…

xc-steve
    Free Member

opps forgot to add images:

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

why is the front fork so long? Surely it could attach at the top of the wheel just as well ? I'm loving the shaft drive 🙂

pinches
    Free Member

i get how it works, which is a bit of an issue as shaft driven transmissions are no where near as efficient as chain/belt drive.

I think the design is quite optimistic in terms of packaging the amount of hardware into the internal space of the frame design.

I think it looks cool though, it's not so crazy as to be completely alienating, but my main concern is the lack of brakes and the amount of flex in the frame, it'd be awful to ride.

druidh
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member
    why is the front fork so long? Surely it could attach at the top of the wheel just as well ? I'm loving the shaft drive

Think of the stress on the mechanism.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Think of the stress on the mechanism.

I'm thinking of the bending in that long, thin arm…

pinches
    Free Member

the shorter one would be way stiffer.

druidh
    Free Member

With a shorter "fork", the weight of the bike would be pulling the "hub" off the rim.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – hang on…..

The "fork" appears to be bolted to an inner hoop of some sort, and the rim is running on that? In that case, the weight of the bike would be trying to deform that inner hoop.

speaker2animals

It isn't really hubless is it? The hub has been oversized and spokes removed. An exercise of "what if".

crackhead
    Free Member

Wicked…as long as any forces are perpendicular to the wheel

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It isn't really hubless is it?

OK, "spokeless" 🙂 And axle-less ? And tubeless it seems – in fact, how does the air get in ?

aracer
    Free Member

<sigh>
    I knew without even seeing the pics that it would be some design exercise – "hubless" bicycles always are. I do always wonder exactly what these people are thinking – do they reckon they're being totally original, as nobody can possibly have thought of such a clever idea before? Of course the shaft drive does add another level of design self pleasuring over what these people usually manage. A little engineering knowledge is clearly a dangerous thing.

And axle-less ?

Well that's just oversized like the hub!

And tubeless it seems – in fact, how does the air get in ?

Probably solid tyres, as clearly there are similar advantages to those as to rim bearings and shaft drive.

Actually I'm being a bit unfair – rim bearings are clearly useful for circus acts, since small dogs can jump through your wheels.

spooky_b329

Similar idea to Specializeds April Fools bikes from a few years back…

Unfortunately the original pics seem to have disappeared but there are still thumbnails to be found if you search for Specialized Venom. There were several models, all a bit wacky 🙂

M6TTF
    Free Member

Been used in the custom motorbike industry for years. Check out billy lanes bikes. Think of it as a huge hub with a bearing running around it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hubless Bikes?’ is closed to new replies.