Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • HubDock – that's pretty clever!
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Saw this and thought it might have slipped past STW:

http://www.gizmag.com/hubdock-bicycle-rear-hub/26366/

Basically it’s a variation on the rear hub which leaves the cassette attached to the frame so you don’t get covered in oil which fixing a puncture. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work just as well for mtb’s and I doubt it would be any worse than a standard QR. I like it.

Mackem

It’s fixing something that’s not really a big problem. You get mucky from the shit on the tyre/wheel anyway. Just wear gloves.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

true but mud is much easier to wash off, you just need a puddle.

Duane…
    Free Member

Not sure I’d want to be opening the hub internals up to the mud/grit/water which will be abundant if used in the UK offroad.

maccruiskeen

Where I’d see the appeal – if the whole thing is strong/light/reliable- is in team-car supported road races. Swapping wheels (to maybe a non team-supplied neutral service wheel) without changing rider’s choice of cassette or interfering with the indexing.

richmtb

Its a clever solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

For that reason i’m oot

bigyinn
    Free Member

There seems to be some debate about whether the wheel is supported at the outer end of the axle on bearings, or at the hub flanges. If its the hub flanges I can’t see that working too well on a mountain bike.

DrP

It might be a good idea, but I can’t see past the peaked helmet and caged SPDs on a ROAD BIKE….

Fit that reason,I simply can’t invest…..

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

Its a clever solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

For that reason i’m oot

+1

avdave2

I guess if you run a couple of sets of wheels maybe tubeless with different tyres then it would have some appeal but then you look at all those exposed ball bearings and it doesn’t look to practical.

Superficial
    Free Member

I can definitely see the point on a bike that’s used E.g. for commuting by people that perhaps don’t know about bikes. I remember (when I was about 10, mind) being really daunted by taking the back wheel off my bike. I’m sure a lot of ‘casual’ cyclists have never done it.

unovolo
    Free Member

My thoughts are ,yes it does look super quick and easy to remove the wheel,but why arent pro roadie teams using it?
    Looking at the cassette interface left behind after wheel removal it shows exposed bearings(not good) and it does not appear to have much material interference so you have to wonder how stiff a rear end does it have when put back together.

richmtb

The trouble is its the kind of product that appeals to the casual cyclist while costing enthusiast money.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

but why arent pro roadie teams using it?

doesn’t the UCI have very strict rules on what a road bike is allowed to be?

Might have an application with belt drives where you don’t want to mess with the belt tension, although only having the pulley mounted on one side (temporarily) might rule this out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘HubDock – that's pretty clever!’ is closed to new replies.