Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hubby off to try/buy new bike!
  • No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I have been addicted to mountain biking for over 4 years but struggled to get my other half interested (common problem by the sound of it). He took up commuting on a tourer (15 miles each way) earlier in the summer and from being not fit he has suddenly both lost lots of weight and become quite fit! Even tried to come out on the Marple STW ride, which I was astonished about! Unfortunately the bike he borrowed of me had such bad chain suck that he was getting nowhere and had to turn back (didn’t have time to finish all the maintanence on it…)but instead of sulking feeling rubbish he has just decided to get himself a bike of his own and gone out to look at what is out there. I’m really tempted to start helping/interfering but is it best to just let him get what he wants even if I don’t think what he likes is the best option for him? And what do you recommend to do to get him to enjoy off road riding as much as I do? Let him practise on his own or come along and give praise/advice or just ride together and not focus on his technique. Being an instructor myself it is so tempting to start “helping”, but anyone who has had their other half trying to teach them stuff knows it is a tricky thing! Anyone with experience of this?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Just my opinion, not been in that same situation, but this is how I’d play it

Offer him a little advice on which bike to get, if he chooses to listen or not at least you offered.

Just let him get on with it in his own time on his own for a bit, then join in occasionally and offer a few hints & tips, then leave him alone to it again, before joining in again & seeing if he’s progressed & take it from there

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I’d point him in the direction of what is good and also point out what is best avoided. Ask him if he wants you to go along with him to help.

As for riding, just go ride together. Take him to some of the most fun trails. Ones which aren’t overly difficult but a lot of fun. Like the blue run at GT. Yeah it’s easy – but it’s still great fun.

BadlyWiredDog

Cake.

Bunnyhop

I was in exactly the same predicament. So I had to sort of give up mtbing for a while. Then mr bunnyhop realised that as an ex – BMXer he might as well ‘If you can’t beat them, join them’. So a grand later and after much huffing and puffing (he wasn’t bike fit in those days) he suddenly got uber hooked. He now gives me hints and tips and luckily we ride loads together, without too much pressure. Then if he wants a blast type ride, then he goes out with friends ( you :-))

Hopefully this will happen to mr No_Discerning_taste.

You never know, you may even get asked for bits of advice now and then, just ride together and let him lead with a good gap, so no pressure.

Can’t wait for a picture of his new bike.

Oh and cake ^^^

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for cake.

Mid / post ride beer is also a good motivator too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hubby off to try/buy new bike!’ is closed to new replies.