Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hub help
  • catsplums
    Free Member

So I am building a new set of wheels, they will be boost and plus sized (supermax lefty at the front) and I am after opinions on the rear hub choices. The list includes industry 9, Hadley, sram x0, DT Swiss 240 or 350, Chris King and hope pro4.

Now due to limited choice I have gone for a CK supermax front hub but if I am honest I am not as keen to stump up for the rear and the additional maintenance of the beautiful CK rear.
    I am VERY tempted to go for a proud British Hope hub but just a little concerned by the reports of pro2’s reliability. Second choice is looking like Hadley.

Any thoughts or comments? Have hope changed anything specifically to fix the issues reported with the pro2’s?

whitestone
    Free Member

What issues with the Pro2? I’ve had mine for over two years and done over 6000Km of riding on them and they are still fine. Have done one regreasing of the rear hub but that’s it.

andyl
    Free Member

quite a wide range of prices you have there.

Hope would be my choice for reliability, serviceability, weight and price.

Only pro 2 issues I have really seen are cracking (all sorted under warranty and don’t know the exact cause) and the old pro 2 12mm axles breaking (fixed by redesign and an old issue now)

tom.nash

never ever had an issue with Hope hubs after 1000s of km of riding in grim Scottish conditions. Aftersales backup is legendary too.

catsplums
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, yes a wide range of prices, price not being the primary concern but obviously does have some influence. I have had no issue myself with hope stuff and have owned many items but the internet is rife with all sorts of fact and misinformation and just seems to some of the hope pros being poorly sealed and cracking the shell and on occasion the freehub – I am just not seeing any changes which specifically address these weaknesses (if they do indeed exist).
    King stuff is well documented but really very much the top end of any budget and I believe way passed that feminising returns point so wanted any opinions on the i9 Hadley and the like as well as any honest hope feedback regarding previous issues and new designs.

catsplums
    Free Member

Diminishing returns*

blairc70
    Free Member

I’d go for either hope pro4 ( british and loud) or DT swiss 240 ( light and quiet ) either will be fit and forget unless you like jet washing.

Design changes on the latest Hope are minimal, engagement has improved over the older pro2, one bearings is slightly larger as is the pawl carrier, I have had pro 2 , pro 2 evo and now pro4. No issues with any so far. All have been an improvement. Also run DT swiss.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’d skip the Hadleys if I were you. I tried to buy a set from NWMBC a couple of years ago but they weren’t in a great hurry to get them in the post. I can’t imagine they’d be in a great hurry to post out spares either, and they are, I believe, the only place in Europe that stocks them…
    DTs on all my bikes. Fit and forget.
    Ran Hope on my only bike for 15 years. Never needed to touch them.

catsplums
    Free Member

Thanks again for the input, I think for the price difference compared to people’s experience then the hopes seem like a clear winner 🙂 choice made.

Thanks all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hub help’ is closed to new replies.